No Video Output C16 & C64 Cores

chrisy

No Video Output C16 & C64 Cores

Unread post by chrisy »

I'm not sure when this started, but when I launch the C16 and C64 cores (and, I've just discovered, Archie - so it doesn't seem to be a PAL vs monitor modes problem) my monitor just goes no "no input signal" and the MiSTer doesn't respond to anything. I'm using HDMI. It was working previously, I'm not sure when it broke. I've just gone through some other cores and those are fine. Any ideas how to fix?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: No Video Output C16 & C64 Cores

Unread post by FPGA64 »

First step is to remove anything else between the Mister and the HDMI socket of the Monitor. No spillters/ capture cards etc
Second try a different HDMI port is possible
Third try a different HDMI cable
chrisy

Unread post by chrisy »

OK, I've checked those and I'm confident it's not the HDMI cable, or a video signal issue. I think the MiSTer is freezing up/crashing. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Alt doesn't do anything when it's in this state. I can consistently reproduce it with the C64, C16 and Archie cores. The ao486 core isn't starting up either, but that does give me blank video and still responds to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Alt, so I think that's a different problem. I haven't found any other broken cores yet.

I thought it might be config related but I've tried renaming the .cfg files in config and it didn't make any difference.

I've also tried re-copying MiSTer and menu.rbf. I haven't tried re-copying the affected cores yet. I guess if that doesn't work I'll find a spare SD card and try a new image.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Other thing to try is to remove any config files for the c64 core in the cfg directory
chrisy

Unread post by chrisy »

Yes, I tried that (well, renamed them so they wouldn't be found), getting suspicious that it was only cores I'd used which were broken.
GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

Probably not this (I may be badly misremembering stuff), but it might be worth reseating the RAM module, assuming you have one. I've got it in my head that the C64 core didn't work properly without the RAM. Don't recall it causing a freeze though. Hadn't tried Archie at that point.
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
chrisy

Unread post by chrisy »

Solved - I re-downloaded and copied the affected cores back over, and they now work. Thanks for the help, I'll try that first next time!