PSX Controller Advice

Jegriva

Re: PSX Controller Advice

Unread post by Jegriva »

seastalker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:13 pm Does anyone use the PS Classic USB version of the original? I never had a PS1 back in the day, but I heard the analog controller (first w. thumbsticks) and soon after the Dual Shock both didn't even arrive until about 1999?? If true, that detail surprises me!

So do PSX veterans consider the dual shock the 'better' controller yet in the same breath feel the OG is more 'authentic' or 'nostalgic'?

I do look forward to really delving into the library soon.
The Dual Shock came out at the end of 1997, but before that in early 1997 there was the Dual Analog Controller (which had the two analog stick and, only in Japan) a single-motor rumble, opposed to the DS dual-motors rumble). DS supports these games seamlessly.

Even before that, there was the Analogue Joystick in 1996, which was a two-joystick periphery for flight simulators, mainly. I believe the Dual Analog is BC with that, but not the DS.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

seastalker wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:54 am I thought all PS controllers after the very first model were a given that they were Dual Shock
No, this is the Dual Analog that others have mentioned:

PlayStation_Dual_Analog.png
PlayStation_Dual_Analog.png (71.24 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

I have one, and along with the original SCPH-1080 it has always been my preferred PlayStation controller. I find it more comfortable due to the longer handles, and more accurate/responsive with its concave joysticks. The only issue is no rumble in the non-Japanese version, although apparently there is a mod to restore it.
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

I use these for PSX - feel super legit :D

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/pow ... c/28213801
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

AfterBurnett wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:19 am I use these for PSX - feel super legit :D

What function does the Analog button have on these?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

rhester72 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:31 pm
AfterBurnett wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:19 am I use these for PSX - feel super legit :D

What function does the Analog button have on these?
My guess is the same as on PS1 and PS2 controllers, it enables/disables the analog sticks. It seems to be a PS2 controller clone.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

OK - on a similar clone I have, it actually radically changes the input mappings, it doesn't just "turn on analog". Still not sure what the purpose is (or how it can be made to work usefully on MiSTer, if at all).
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Sorry, I re-read and see my wording was unintentionally ambiguous. I was/am aware of the OG controller with no sticks (hence using this and the PS Classic USB version), the 'analog' controller (pre-dual shock controller with sticks), and that most everyone goes dual shock and doesn't look back. I wasn't aware of the PS3 part [SIXAXIS not being a Dual Shock].

It's just interesting how long people only had the OG (no sticks) controller before the dual shock existed. I wonder if some still prefer playing this way for some games like how I love the OG 3 button Genesis one for some games.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Are clone pads working ?
I was thinking of something cheap, like the following.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controllers-Ra ... 56&sr=8-20

I really don't want to try any of my original Sony pads, while the newer pads - PS4, Dualsense, are wireless.
Lightwave

seastalker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm It's just interesting how long people only had the OG (no sticks) controller before the dual shock existed. I wonder if some still prefer playing this way for some games like how I love the OG 3 button Genesis one for some games.
I always prefer to use the original PlayStation controller (SCPH-1080) whenever possible. I prefer the lighter feel, and the simpler, less cramped layout. I don't like the sticks getting in the way of pressing the start and select buttons in games that use them extensively (for maps, inventory, etc.).

For racing games that support it, my choice is always the neGcon.

For other games where analog control is preferable, I'll use the Analog Controller (SCPH-1180), as I find it the most comfortable.

And finally, for games where Rumble actually adds something to the experience (I don't like it in fighting games, for example), I'll use the Dual Shock (SCPH-1200).

(One controller I'd like to try is the original Japanese controller (SCPH-1010). It's a smaller version of the 1080, which I find kind of interesting)
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Looking at the neGcon now- I seem to remember seeing this on a shelf back in the day and thought it was odd but videos about it give it high praise. If true that only about 40 games were supported for it, it seems like a great potential controller to get universal support on MiSTer. Has that been implemented yet?
Lightwave

seastalker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:27 pm it seems like a great potential controller to get universal support on MiSTer. Has that been implemented yet?
There is a negCon pad setting in the options, which you would need to use along with a USB adapter that supports it (e.g. Raphnet).

If you are connecting it via SNAC, it should work perfectly.
Jahreeva

Unread post by Jahreeva »

I’m going to test the psx mini controllers tonight. I pretty much got the mini classic for exactly this core and love the lightweight old classic controllers.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Outside of latency the ds5 controller feels like a more well made unit. I have both; using ds4 with mister but for a ps5 recently and prefer the controllers on it.