Analogue Joystick Input?

Eros

Analogue Joystick Input?

Unread post by Eros »

Hi all

I was wondering if the Minimig core made use of the analog inputs on controllers. I know for example a few flight sims would include settings to turn on analog control, or just use them when available.

Rolling on many years Analog sticks are somewhat quite easy to come by either in controller form or actual flight sticks. Was just wondering if the core can use them first of all, and if so, if anything special is needed setup wise?

Iv thus far been unsuccessful.

The MiSTer input tester works perfectly at seeing both pads of my Logitech F310... amiga... nothing appears to work (example Birds of Prey, pressing zero for to turn on analog control)

Cheers!
Jimiga

Re: Analogue Joystick Input?

Unread post by Jimiga »

I'd be interested in learning weather this is possible too - nothing showing up in research. Seems like it should be achievable, hopefully!
lunac

Unread post by lunac »

I tried connecting my original amiga joystick with a daemonbrite adapter and whilst it worked in the OSD menu for configuration, it did not work ingame.

Is all analog inputs really unusable or am I doing something wrong?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If the OSD is working, then the joystick is working and the communication is correct. Did you configure the Amiga joystick inputs? I've often had to do that with the various cores. Some seem smarter than others.

Don't forget to save your core settings afterward!

edit: I have no idea if it will come through to the actual Amiga as analog. I would be surprised if it did. It should show up as a joystick in the 9-pin adapter, with up/down/left/right and one fire button. The core should convert from whatever input you provide (analog or digital) to the Amiga's digital after you tell it what should be converted.

I use this just fine with my joypad, but it definitely needed to be set up.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Doesn't most of the game supporting analog controls supported these controls also using the mouse? You can try to setup the mouse axis on your joystick.
lunac

Unread post by lunac »

Malor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:35 pm If the OSD is working, then the joystick is working and the communication is correct.
That was my understanding too, yet it does not work in game. Hence my confusion.
Malor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:35 pm Did you configure the Amiga joystick inputs? I've often had to do that with the various cores. Some seem smarter than others.

Don't forget to save your core settings afterward!

edit: I have no idea if it will come through to the actual Amiga as analog. I would be surprised if it did. It should show up as a joystick in the 9-pin adapter, with up/down/left/right and one fire button. The core should convert from whatever input you provide (analog or digital) to the Amiga's digital after you tell it what should be converted.

I use this just fine with my joypad, but it definitely needed to be set up.
Yes I opened the OSD, navigated right and used the configure minimig button (paraphrasing the menu item name) and it recognised the joypad inputs for choosing up/down/right/left/button. I also saved configuration (although that's shouldn't be needed for a single test). Yet it wouldn't recognise it ingame.

I'm using the megaAGS pack as the payload for minimig - not sure if that might have anything to do with it. Have you tried that with your joystick?

Also which joystick are you using? I'm using one of these I'd had since the 90s:

Uiwu11Y.jpg
Uiwu11Y.jpg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
lunac

Unread post by lunac »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm Doesn't most of the game supporting analog controls supported these controls also using the mouse? You can try to setup the mouse axis on your joystick.
Probably but I don't have a spare wireless mouse and for someone who used a joystick back in the day for amiga gaming, a mouse is just not the same.

I didn't spend hours building a daemonbrite adapter just to use a mouse :lol:
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

lunac wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:20 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm Doesn't most of the game supporting analog controls supported these controls also using the mouse? You can try to setup the mouse axis on your joystick.
Probably but I don't have a spare wireless mouse and for someone who used a joystick back in the day for amiga gaming, a mouse is just not the same.

I didn't spend hours building a daemonbrite adapter just to use a mouse :lol:
What I meant was mapping the mouse axis to your analog Joystick.
lunac

Unread post by lunac »

I figured out what the problem was. I had to map the controller in the main mister setup screen. I was doing it within the amiga/minimig menu which I assumed was correct because it recognised the controller input there.
Eros

Unread post by Eros »

The mouse input is a super good suggestion, ill give it a try next time im playing around with it.