Since there's a GameBoy SNAC Adapter, can I link MiSTer with a GameCube/Wii?

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

AngelicLiver

Re: Since there's a GameBoy SNAC Adapter, can I link MiSTer with a GameCube/Wii?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

The serial modes for the GBA core are not implemented as far as I know and there are multiple modes (5 I think?). This would be a pretty massive undertaking due to its complexity so I shouldn't expect it any time soon, if at all.

You can try the GBA2P core for local single-MiSTer multiplayer, it's pretty awesome.
Malan

Re: Since there's a GameBoy SNAC Adapter, can I link MiSTer with a GameCube/Wii?

Unread post by Malan »

Yeah, SNAC is not implemented for the GBA core.
You can use a link cable with the GB/GBC core with the GB Player for Game Cube though, which is really nice.
Waifu4Life

AngelicLiver wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:58 pm The serial modes for the GBA core are not implemented as far as I know and there are multiple modes (5 I think?). This would be a pretty massive undertaking due to its complexity so I shouldn't expect it any time soon, if at all.

You can try the GBA2P core for local single-MiSTer multiplayer, it's pretty awesome.
So I've been told on Reddit. That being said, when I ask for GBA and GameCube/Wi connection, it's for the GameCube games that have GBA compatible connections (FF Crystal Chronicles, Pokemon games, Zelda WW, etc..). Having the MiSTer hooked to a smaller LCD and then connected to your GameCube/Wii would make a kick-ass combo for those compatible games.

I wouldn't dream of asking Robert Peip for this while he's working on the PS1 core, that being said, the source of the core is on GitHub, so someone else could have a crack at it.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The current serial functionality is a quirk to get 2 cores connected with 1 of the 5 connection mode, either as dual-core (splitscreen, dual screen) or even via multiple MiSTer if someone wants to build that.
It's not working with a real (active) GBA connection cable most likely.

As I have no GBA, no Gamecube and no Wii and I doubt that many would use it anyway, this is a very low priority project.

But well, the code is there and the serial registers are only very few, so everyone is free to do it.
You don't need to understand much of the core itself, you can trust the core handles the registers just fine (because the splitscreen core works) and implement the functionality.
Waifu4Life

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:26 pm The current serial functionality is a quirk to get 2 cores connected with 1 of the 5 connection mode, either as dual-core (splitscreen, dual screen) or even via multiple MiSTer if someone wants to build that.
It's not working with a real (active) GBA connection cable most likely.

As I have no GBA, no Gamecube and no Wii and I doubt that many would use it anyway, this is a very low priority project.

But well, the code is there and the serial registers are only very few, so everyone is free to do it.
You don't need to understand much of the core itself, you can trust the core handles the registers just fine (because the splitscreen core works) and implement the functionality.
And speak of the devil, the man himself interjects :lol:

I've been following the MiSTer scene since 2018, before I even had my MiSTer. If there's one thing I've learned about the people making these cores is that they highly underestimate themselfs. Yourself along with everyone else in the MiSTer project are very talented and every time you hit an obstacle thinking it's not possible, you guys manage to pull-off a miracle:

-SNES SA-1 support
-GBA core
-Save States
-CD Systems support (Mega CD, PCE-CD)
-32bit Systems (Saturn, PS1)

.. and many more were once obstacles that you wonderful people manage to overcome. In short, when I see "it"s not possible" when it comes to a core or feature, in my head, I add "for now" ;)
Haflip

Unread post by Haflip »

So am I correct in my understanding that the GBA2P core is only capable of the "Normal Mode" 1-on-1 connection between two players? Is there room in the core to implement the other modes? If the "Multi-Player" mode and others are implemented, SNAC could be much more useful for GBA games. I like the theoretical possibility of connecting a GBA2P core to real hardware for a player 3, or connecting two MiSTers with each running a GBA2P core.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Pac-Man versus, with a GBA connected to a GameCube is also really fun to play. Would be great if this was possible with a MiSTer.
AkujiTheSniper

Unread post by AkujiTheSniper »

Now that GBAs have gotten way more expensive it would be really nice if a SNAC adapter like this existed. I got people, a Wii, link cables, and displays to play Four Swords Adventures with, but only an SP and a Gamecube with a Game Boy Player to hook into the setup. None of us can really justify buying two more GBAs for one game, but I definitely would buy a SNAC adapter.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

This was discussed on the Discord the other day, so the GBC SNAC adaptor takes a GBA link cable as well, so we have the hardware already. It would need someone (probably Blue who designed the board and is currently implementing SNAC into PS1 core) to implement into the GBA core, which is no trivial task, but is doable. So keep your fingers crossed and we may get it one day.