names.txt - Proper System Names in OSD

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: names.txt - Proper System Names in OSD

Unread post by Moondandy »

A couple more computer cores for the next update:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3096

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3097

Also GB 2P Ultrawide:
viewtopic.php?f=20&p=31281#p31281
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

Thanks, Moondandy. I added all those and will attribute you in the commit message.

The master file is done. Now I need to test its script output before pushing it to github. The scripts that theypsilon so kindly made will generate 13 different names.txt files from it that I want to check first.
Threepwood

@Moondandy: All done, theypsilon adapted the generator scripts to build 28 character long common name variants from the new csv file and 13 different names.txt files are now online on Github. They can be pulled via update_all, too.

The cores you pointed out are included and you are mentioned in the commit message, as promised.

As always, errors or missing cores in the names files can be pointed out here or on my github :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Nice one, thanks mate!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Here is another one that I wasn't aware of and slipped through the net, the "Camputers Lynx" (note: not a type)

https://github.com/RW-FPGA-devel-Team/MiSTer_lynx48
viewtopic.php?p=32499
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:46 pm Here is another one that I wasn't aware of and slipped through the net, the "Camputers Lynx" (note: not a type)

https://github.com/RW-FPGA-devel-Team/MiSTer_lynx48
viewtopic.php?p=32499
Thank you, I added the core just now.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hey dude, got a couple more unofficial WIP progress cores:

"PC88" which is the PC-8801 viewtopic.php?p=16524#p16524

"Zet98" which is the PC-9801 viewtopic.php?p=16525#p16525

The Camputers Lynx is still displaying as "lynx48_200909" for me
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Any chance of getting an entry for Zaxxon with the Z capitalized? It annoys the OCD in me that it's always been wrong in the core (and thus the menu), but it's a pain in the ass re-adding it every time there's a names update. ;)
Threepwood

@Moondandy, @rhester72, thanks for pointing these out, it should all be added and fixed now.

I am currently waiting for the names-files to be generated, github actions is degraded at the moment and does not run immediately.

EDIT: lynx48_200909 has a too short date, it only will be replaced when you append a day like lynx48_20090901. The Arcarde core names are not replaced, no matter what. I guess it is, because they are the names of the mra-files and the names.txt does not work on mra names.
Threepwood

Recently I learned that the Sinclair ZX81 was named Timex TS-1000 in the US (see https://www.zock.com/8-Bit/D_ZX81.HTML and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000). There were slight differences in RAM amount (2KB RAM instead of 1KB). Would renaming the ZX81 for the US region make sense? The ZX81 core seems to support 1KB, 16KB, 32KB and 48KB. 16KB sounds like a Timex TS-1500.

It would of course not affect the naming for EU and JP regions.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

16 kb was the offically supported ram pack for the ZX81. Although a lot of the third parties made bigger expansions.
Threepwood

For US regions the Sinclair ZX81 is now renamed to Timex Sinclair TS-1500 (because of the 16kb version).

In the US a joint venture between Timex Corporation and Sinclair Research sold the ZX81 as TS-1000 (2kb Version, which this core cannot be set to) and TS-1500 (16kb version with slight bug fixes). This should prove more accurate for US version of the names.txt and increases recognition value.
mpryon

Unread post by mpryon »

Hiya, I was trying to figure out why my ZX81 went away and the search led me here. I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the rename for what they're worth (probably not much).

I was living in the US at the time and the ZX80 and 81 were both sold in the US before the re-jiggered Timex Sinclair 1000 came round. I had a US model 80 and 81.

I'd never heard of the 1500 until a couple of years ago. I'm not privy to the sales figures but I'd guess the 81 out sold the 1500 but for sure the 1000 outsold the other three models combined in the US.

I would have instantly seen and recognised "Timex" in the name but I just didn't even notice "TS-1500" the combo of not being spelt out and the 1500 being so rare just didn't click.

But now I see that I can change it back to ZX81 my self, all is well.

I hope I don't come off as critical, I'm just offering my observation.
Threepwood

mpryon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm Hiya, I was trying to figure out why my ZX81 went away and the search led me here. I thought I'd offer my thoughts on the rename for what they're worth (probably not much).
The input is always appreciated, I can't know it all and heavily rely on people from the different regions to help with the naming.
mpryon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm I was living in the US at the time and the ZX80 and 81 were both sold in the US before the re-jiggered Timex Sinclair 1000 came round. I had a US model 80 and 81.
That is information I was missing, thank you. When I did some limited research into wether or not the ZX81 was named as such in the US, I only found that there was the Timex.
mpryon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm I'd never heard of the 1500 until a couple of years ago. I'm not privy to the sales figures but I'd guess the 81 out sold the 1500 but for sure the 1000 outsold the other three models combined in the US.

I would have instantly seen and recognised "Timex" in the name but I just didn't even notice "TS-1500" the combo of not being spelt out and the 1500 being so rare just didn't click.
It depends on the version of the names.txt you use. I personally prefer the Char28-Manufacturer version, because it contains all this info.
mpryon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm But now I see that I can change it back to ZX81 my self, all is well.

I hope I don't come off as critical, I'm just offering my observation.
You don't come off as critical at all, on the contrary your input is very helpful and appreciated. I am aiming to name the cores as accurate as possible within the constraints of the names.txt feature that MiSTer offers.

Theypsilon and I tried to get some input from US folks before making the name change and there was no objection, but I feared that some folks might have trouble finding the ZX81 afterwards. In the same fashion I hoped that the name change would help people who had a Timex recognize the machine and realize that it was basically a ZX81. It is a double edged sword really.

That said, I will gladly revert the change if necessary, but for this I would need the input of more people. Maybe somebody can make a poll? I sadly do not have the time for that.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

A few more suggested updates to the names.txt

SlugCross = Slug Cross
AdventureVision = Adventure Vision
Dragon 32 = Dragon 32/64
Electron = Acorn Electron
Einstein = Einstein TC01
Lynx48 = Camputers Lynx48/96
M5 = Sord M5

Might want to do this one:
PC88 = NEC PC8801
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 pm A few more suggested updates to the names.txt
Thank you, Moondandy. The Acorn Electron rbf is still named AcornElectron in the repository at https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/AcornEl ... r/releases Is this an alternate core? Same for Sord M5, Tatung Einstein and Dragon 32, I can gladly add them, but a link to the repos you may be refering to would be helpful.

As per usual I credited you in the commit message :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Thanks dude, repo links are all here if you need any:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Maybe been given informal/incomplete names on the repo - Acorn Electron should be two words for example.
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm Thanks dude, repo links are all here if you need any:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Maybe been given informal/incomplete names on the repo - Acorn Electron should be two words for example.
Regarding the Acorn Electron, I assume the discrepancy is that I named the Acorn Atom as such in the common variant and the Acorn Electron just Electron. It is often guesswork and surely no one-size-fits-all for all regions, but I tend to leave out the manufacturer name for the common variants. I changed the Acorn Atom to just Atom to make it consistent. Otherwise the Acorn Electron was correct already.

The name of the Sord M5 for the EU region is CGL M5, because that is what it was called in the UK and as per usual for the common variants the manufacturer name is left out. It is Sord M5 in manufacturer names.txts for JP and US, CGL M5 for EU. Same principle for Einstein and Dragon 32, they are there.

This here is the master-file from which the different variations are created: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Three ... /names.csv It may look daunting at first, but e.g. the CoCo2 core entry in row ";names_CHAR18_Common_US" has a reference named ";CoCo2:18_Common_JP" instead of a verbatim core name, which simply means that the entry for the 18 Character Common US variant of names.txt should have the same naming as the JP region (row ";names_CHAR18_Common_JP").

It is the "easiest" way of checking all versions at once.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Ah right, I makes more sense now. I use the EU version incidentally.

I do think it would be good to have the Acorn computers named "Acorn Atom" and "Acorn Electron" in the menu so they are grouped together. There is also the "Acorn System 1" I forgot to mention, which is currently an unofficial core that will get cleaned up and brought over at some point.
https://github.com/davewoo999/Acorn_System1_MiSTer

Thanks again for looking after the list, makes life so much easier!
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm I do think it would be good to have the Acorn computers named "Acorn Atom" and "Acorn Electron" in the menu so they are grouped together.
That is the goal of the manufacturer variants. I use names_CHAR28_Manufacturer_EU.txt with datetime OFF myself and if you want cores grouped together then this is the way to go :)
Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm There is also the "Acorn System 1" I forgot to mention, which is currently an unofficial core that will get cleaned up and brought over at some point.
Thank you, I will add it.
Moondandy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm Thanks again for looking after the list, makes life so much easier!
You are very welcome and thank you for pointing out missing cores. You contribute a lot and that in turn makes my life easier.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

New Sega 32X core! :-) "S32X" to be "Sega 32X"
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 pm New Sega 32X core! :-) "S32X" to be "Sega 32X"
Thanks for the headsup, just added it with credit to you :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Hey dude, a couple of new ones popping up:
Konix Multisystem
https://github.com/SavourySnaX/MiSTer_KonixMultisystem

A MiSTer native 240p Test Suite
https://github.com/burabure/240p_MiSTer ... r/releases
Threepwood

Moondandy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:53 pm Hey dude, a couple of new ones popping up:
Added and commit credited to you, thank you :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Think we are already at the point where N64 can be named Nintendo 64 :-)

Threepwood

Added, thank you very much for keeping me up to date :)