MSU-1

djsquare

Re: MSU-1

Unread post by djsquare »

KnightNZ wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:43 am I've had a SNES-MSU1 core pop up in my list, loading ROMs doesn't seem to do anything, MSU-1 or regular SFC\SMC just blackscreens.

Version shows as v191014 which I'm going to guess is quite old?
2019? Yeah I'd say that's old. It probably doesn't work anymore with the current main framework of the MiSTer
commander

Unread post by commander »

hope somebody will take care of this.

I am a big fan of the SNES games with "CD-Audio" MSU-1, so I can put away my SNES and the SD2SNES

Thanks
djsquare

commander wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 pm hope somebody will take care of this.

I am a big fan of the SNES games with "CD-Audio" MSU-1, so I can put away my SNES and the SD2SNES

Thanks
I know I feel the same way. I really enjoyed the Earthbound MSU and I don't think I can go back to the normal Chrono Trigger
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

There's an unstable-nightly build out now with MSU support (also requires unstable-nightly for MiSTer).

Anyone gotten it to work? I tried three different MSU audio hacks and none of them played the new audio, only the base sound effects.
Rahzadan

Unread post by Rahzadan »

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:00 am There's an unstable-nightly build out now with MSU support (also requires unstable-nightly for MiSTer).

Anyone gotten it to work? I tried three different MSU audio hacks and none of them played the new audio, only the base sound effects.
Just tried it as well myself. I'm having the same problem you are. I can hear sound effects, sometimes original music (not msu music) and sometimes the game outright freezes. All of my MSU-1 games are in the same formatting as what the SD2SNES accepts (they work perfectly on my SD2SNES).

Not sure what's going on.
mythkeeper

Unread post by mythkeeper »

Missing MSU-1 on Mister keeps me from selling my SD2Snes so Great work!!!!
Rahzadan

mythkeeper wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:02 am Missing MSU-1 on Mister keeps me from selling my SD2Snes so Great work!!!!
Same here! With the addition of MSU-1 (once it's working properly), the SNES core will officially have more capability than the SD2SNES! (Which is still missing SPC7110 support)
Stupid Dufus

new snes_unstable was pushed out. Was able to get some audio working in a Mario World audio hack (Super Mario World Simple MSU Colines NTI, Conn et al, Colines v2 Audio), but it went to black after the title screen
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Sorgelig pushed another version a few minutes ago. Looks like he's practically rewritten the whole thing.
Rahzadan

dmckean wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 am Sorgelig pushed another version a few minutes ago. Looks like he's practically rewritten the whole thing.
Unfortunately it still doesn't work :( Hopefully soon!!! :D
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Rahzadan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:09 am
dmckean wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:13 am Sorgelig pushed another version a few minutes ago. Looks like he's practically rewritten the whole thing.
Unfortunately it still doesn't work :( Hopefully soon!!! :D
There's another one now, I'm thinking he could go all night.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

It's working almost. PCM is only coming through the left channel. it's almost there. :)
birdybro~
Reed_Solomon

Unread post by Reed_Solomon »

Rahzadan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:37 am
mythkeeper wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:02 am Missing MSU-1 on Mister keeps me from selling my SD2Snes so Great work!!!!
Same here! With the addition of MSU-1 (once it's working properly), the SNES core will officially have more capability than the SD2SNES! (Which is still missing SPC7110 support)
compatibility maybe, but SD2SNES does have save states I do believe so it has that going for it.
Rahzadan

Latest unstable builds for Main+SNES core working for me now! A few tracks don’t play, and data (video) not working yet, but amazing progress!
djsquare

I must be doing something wrong because I can't seem to get MSU working on my setup. I'm using the newest unstable main & snes builds. The games I've tried work on an old SD2SNES
cyb4

Unread post by cyb4 »

Funnily, with the latest main & snes builds my hdmi output doesn't work anymore. My monitor doesn't receive a signal. Analog still works though.
djsquare

It seems to work for me now but very buggy but that's alright. I am beyond delighted that this is coming to the finial core
Stupid Dufus

MSU-1 support officially added and out of unstable status. Seems to be working with three MSU-1 hacks I've tried
Relikk

Unread post by Relikk »

There appears to be some issues with PCM looping in the public release, both in regard to the accuracy of the loop points and tracks not looping when they should.

There is an audible pop at the some loop points, and that would be because of a lack of zero crossover at the loop point, which also gradually degrades over time the longer the PCM file is played. The loop points is triggered sooner and sooner each time, which leads me to speculate that there is a timing issue in play.

As mentioned before, some tracks that should loop and that are specified in code to loop, do not.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

Downloaded the new updates to get MSU-1 is there a set up to get it running with SNES Everdrive set I have on my Mister
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

ItsTigerTime wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:55 pm Downloaded the new updates to get MSU-1 is there a set up to get it running with SNES Everdrive set I have on my Mister
I just copied all of my MSU games/files from my SD2SNES into the SNES games folder on the MiSTer in a folder called MSU. Everything worked with no other setup.
ItsTigerTime

Unread post by ItsTigerTime »

Worked out what I was doing wrong added Rock n Racing sounds brilliant with The Classic Music
Rahzadan

The most recent public release build from yesterday seems to be working nearly perfectly. I haven't noticed any music stopping (like it did in previous builds).

Love that this is available now. All we need now is savestates in the SNES core and I basically will have no reason to ever use my SD2SNES again! (That, and maybe some kinda of MSU-1 equivalent feature on the GB/GBC & GBA core(s)!
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

Rahzadan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:47 pm The most recent public release build from yesterday seems to be working nearly perfectly. I haven't noticed any music stopping (like it did in previous builds).
It'd be great if an option could be added to specifically adjust the MSU Music Volume like the SD2SNES. I have a mix of ROMS and some have the corrected volume and others don't. So some games are really loud, some are perfect, and some are too quiet.
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Hello, i d/l some "MSU-1" from archive. Zipped files with SFC, msu, bsl and lot of pcm files inside. Is that right? Can I leave them zipped or do I have to unpack in separate folders?

Thank you.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm Hello, i d/l some "MSU-1" from archive. Zipped files with SFC, msu, bsl and lot of pcm files inside. Is that right? Can I leave them zipped or do I have to unpack in separate folders?

Thank you.
Each game needs to be unpacked to a separate folder (in theory you can put all sfc and msu files for all games in one folder but for the sake of keeping the overview I wouldn't advise it).
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

They work zipped too
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

FPGA64 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:50 pm They work zipped too
Good to know, didn't knew this, how is the performance when zipped, some are very big. Do they get extracted at first launch or on the fly?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

It puts alot more strain on the system, since its decompressing a zipped file of a streaming audio. Its probably not a great idea but it does work. Off my SSD its working and I havent seen a crash yet.
Relikk

Unread post by Relikk »

9x6rLlK.png
9x6rLlK.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 5590 times

Make sure that if you're submitting any bug reports either to the official Git or to the source of the patches that you're not running anything from ZIP.