Sega 32X Core

Megahurtz

Re: Sega 32X Core

Unread post by Megahurtz »

Rolygon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:54 am
MiSTerEggman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:38 pm Im using Antonio villena's s-video with analog io board to a 14" CRT

the colors are washed out / inaccurate / lots of flickering on this core... anyone else?

Tried switching the physical switch from auto to ovr on io, still doesnt fix it.

Looks fine over HDMI to my flat screen.
Yup, I too am having the same issue with that adapter.
Me three. There is a GitHub issue open for it:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/S32X_MiSTer/issues/15

MikeS chimed in there and said it is due to the transcoder chip's inability to match the core to NTSC frequency. There are a few older arcade cores that exhibit the same issue for me, but console cores have been perfect up until now. I'm hoping either the 32X core gets updated and fixes this or MikeS's s-video work gets incorporated into the mainline cores.
bvdh85

Unread post by bvdh85 »

Hi all,
32x core is working great! Tx for all the work.
One evt. improvement: i am playing on a crt. Every time I start the core, screen is flickering. After loading a game everything runs fine. Also the menu when accessing via R2 when a game runs.
Torgo

Unread post by Torgo »

The Doom Resurrection 2.0 not only runs great on this core, but it's also a really impressive mod. This is definitely better than the Jaguar version now.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

bvdh85 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:25 am Hi all,
One evt. improvement: i am playing on a crt. Every time I start the core, screen is flickering. After loading a game everything runs fine. Also the menu when accessing via R2 when a game runs.
The lighting of the Jaguar version still outshines the (very impressive) Resurrection 2.0 mod. On the Jaguar you will find a much more vibrant ambient lighting that affects your own weapon the enemies. Compare these 2 clips where the player uses the radiotion suit.

32X
https://youtu.be/g6QfYoAof4E?t=2890

Jaguar
https://youtu.be/eZR-IVNJALQ?t=3258

On the other hand, having music ingame was always a plus of the 32X version.
Barone

Unread post by Barone »

Chris23235 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:24 pm
bvdh85 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:25 am Hi all,
The lighting of the Jaguar version still outshines the (very impressive) Resurrection 2.0 mod. On the Jaguar you will find a much more vibrant ambient lighting that affects your own weapon the enemies. Compare these 2 clips where the player uses the radiotion suit.

32X
https://youtu.be/g6QfYoAof4E?t=2890

Jaguar
https://youtu.be/eZR-IVNJALQ?t=3258

On the other hand, having music ingame was always a plus of the 32X version.
The v2.1 of D32XR was released yesterday (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/) and, among other things, it fixes the lighting for floors and ceilings. So there's that.

The Jaguar version seems to use a different colormap for the radiation suit, so that's why it looks that way with the radiation suit. But that's not what the original DOS and other versions, including the PS1's, do.
It's something specific to the Jaguar version and having multiple colormaps like that would be a pain since we already have the High Color mode to account for. It would also take some precious ROM space and we already have all the music tracks in there.

The lighting in the Jaguar version isn't perfect either, some rooms don't dim the lighting as they should, like this one:
https://youtu.be/L4j_FLIkl3o?t=2492

Another issue related to the Jaguar version lighting is that pretty much every time you take a hit and the screen goes red-ish, the framerate drops. If it's running at 12fps, it drops to 10fps when it has to change the screen colors. That's not good for input response and D32XR doesn't have such an issue.

BTW, the Jaguar version has some performance issues that are really off-putting IMHO.
Like when you want to begin to fire your shotgun and it usually halves the framerate until the first shooting frame is loaded (notice how the ammo count is updated in the HUD well before the animation is actually displayed):
https://youtu.be/qpla42Pe4nE?t=5851
https://youtu.be/Ydz5XxFYF7k?t=1202

That kind of abrupt dip certainly doesn't occur in D32XR.

So, in fact, it runs with better performance in 320px wide with music, stereo sfx with proper panning and envelope control, and sound propagation (this really affects the gameplay since it's used to trigger the enemies' AI) similar to the PC than the Jaguar version does at 160px with no music and mono sfx with no envelope control, and with cutdown sound propagation.

D32XR v2.1 also fixes this graphical glitch that the 32X game had inherited from the Jaguar Doom code base:
https://youtu.be/4_1quo7YgwE?t=9510
https://youtu.be/49F4i0n4Fm0?t=1255
MiSTerEggman

Unread post by MiSTerEggman »

Megahurtz wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:40 am
Rolygon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:54 am
MiSTerEggman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:38 pm Im using Antonio villena's s-video with analog io board to a 14" CRT

the colors are washed out / inaccurate / lots of flickering on this core... anyone else?

Tried switching the physical switch from auto to ovr on io, still doesnt fix it.

Looks fine over HDMI to my flat screen.
Yup, I too am having the same issue with that adapter.
Me three. There is a GitHub issue open for it:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/S32X_MiSTer/issues/15

MikeS chimed in there and said it is due to the transcoder chip's inability to match the core to NTSC frequency. There are a few older arcade cores that exhibit the same issue for me, but console cores have been perfect up until now. I'm hoping either the 32X core gets updated and fixes this or MikeS's s-video work gets incorporated into the mainline cores.
Thanks for the info! good to know.
marcopolo316

Unread post by marcopolo316 »

I’ve been trying to use the system link cable for multiplayer Doom Resurrection 2.1 but can’t get it to work using a real 32x and a Mister. I can confirm my setup works for Zero Tolerance in the Genesis core so I can skip over the troubleshooting I’ve done
marcopolo316

Unread post by marcopolo316 »

marcopolo316 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:25 am I’ve been trying to use the system link cable for multiplayer Doom Resurrection 2.1 but can’t get it to work using a real 32x and a Mister. I can confirm my setup works for Zero Tolerance in the Genesis core so I can skip over the troubleshooting I’ve done
Sorry just saw it’s listed in issues on GitHub
Barone

Unread post by Barone »

marcopolo316 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:25 am I’ve been trying to use the system link cable for multiplayer Doom Resurrection 2.1 but can’t get it to work using a real 32x and a Mister. I can confirm my setup works for Zero Tolerance in the Genesis core so I can skip over the troubleshooting I’ve done
I think it would be nice if you added it as a comment in the existing issue on github.
Thanks for trying it and reporting back.
the_muteKi

Unread post by the_muteKi »

Chaotix works since the timing update, but (as noted on github) there's no SRAM support yet.
Grechy34

Unread post by Grechy34 »

Has anyone had any success getting Spiderman to work? I get a CRC error which hangs the screen when I play it.
Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Works fine here on my Mister. Try the No-Intro version.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

The error happens later in game or during the atrac mode.
Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Ah ok. I got an "SH2 Engine Error. CQue_ProcessOne: cque_to_call invalid" error later in Level 1. Not sure though if that specific error is related to the game genie code i used.

edit: Happens without the cheat too.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Srg320 hasn’t touched the 32x core in some time now. Hopefully he’ll address the outstanding bugs.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

If you want such issues to be fixed, make sure to report them on Github. This forum is not the right place to report errors.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Chilly Willy

Unread post by Chilly Willy »

I got a MiSTer and SNAX + Genesis connector, and checked things out. Zero Tolerance works with the cable when run in the Genesis core. It does NOT work in Zero Tolerance in the Super 32X core. I'd say the Genesis part of the S32X core needs updating to handle the cable properly, or maybe it's something in the SNAC support in the S32X. I'll have to check the two cores to see what is different with respect to the IO in the Genesis parts.
Jingsing

Unread post by Jingsing »

Has anyone had a problem with Knuckles Chaotic freezing if you allow the game to idle on title screen. After playing demos? It might take a handful of demos to happen.

Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

With the 23.02.24 update the demo of Amazing Spider-Man doesn't appear to crash anymore. Haven't actually played the game to confirm that it won't crash in-game.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Stupid Dufus wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:10 am

With the 23.02.24 update the demo of Amazing Spider-Man doesn't appear to crash anymore. Haven't actually played the game to confirm that it won't crash in-game.

Yeah, this version of the core has been around for a couple months, it just got updated publicly today. It does indeed fix the crash in Level 1 of Spiderman.

Grechy34

Unread post by Grechy34 »

Confirmed fix for me!

twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

ItalianGrandma wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:01 am

Yeah, this version of the core has been around for a couple months, it just got updated publicly today. It does indeed fix the crash in Level 1 of Spiderman.

I always thought that was a rom error. It occurs on my Real Hardware too when using the Everdrive Pro.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

twonunpackmule wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:25 pm
ItalianGrandma wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:01 am

I always thought that was a rom error. It occurs on my Real Hardware too when using the Everdrive Pro.

I think that it can happen on real hardware, but it won’t always happen. With the old version of the core, it happened every time without fail at some point in the first level.

Megahurtz

Unread post by Megahurtz »

Are cheats implemented in the 32X core? I installed the 32X cheat package from gamehacking.org but don't see an option in the OSD.

segamemister

Unread post by segamemister »

Megahurtz wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:58 pm

Are cheats implemented in the 32X core? I installed the 32X cheat package from gamehacking.org but don't see an option in the OSD.

tooken from the github page

Some features like cheats and game saves are not implemented at this time. Please don't submit an issue to request cheats or saves, this is known.