Xbox Series X/S Controller Not Recognized

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
WPL

Xbox Series X/S Controller Not Recognized

Unread post by WPL »

Hello!

I have an Xbox Series X/S controller (model# 1914) that is not recognized by my MiSTer setup. I have it connected via USB cable to a powered USB hub. The weird thing is that when I first got it it would intermittently work with the MiSTer, now it won't work at all. I ran the Update_All script a week ago. Could it possibly be the cable? Thanks!
edr

Re: Xbox Series X/S Controller Not Recognized

Unread post by edr »

I haven't used any Xbox controllers yet but it's listed as supported:

"Support for XBox Series S/X controller" (2021-09-06)
viewtopic.php?p=32952#p32952

This discussion says it works well wireless w/an official Microsoft dongle:

"Fyi, it works really well with the Microsoft branded dongles."
Topic: Requesting support for Xbox Series (X/S) controller support via bluetooth
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3329

I'd assume it should work via USB cable since it's supported. You don't say if you're using the official MiSTer USB hub design (same footprint/size as the DE10), which works extremely well, or a third party one. Many many USB hubs of anonymous origin are no good and fail to work in endlessly surprising and entertaining ways.

Definitely should try another cable, like an Anker branded one or one from a mobile phone box or other device.

If that works, then maybe it was the cable.

If that doesn't work, you can consider getting a microUSB OTG cable (I haven't used any so can't recommend a specific one), plug the microUSB end of it directly into the DE10 USB OTG port, and plug the controller's cable into the OTG cable.

USB OTG.jpg
USB OTG.jpg (526.53 KiB) Viewed 2189 times

If that works then the hub may be the bad actor. If that still doesn't work, then ? If getting an official-design MiSTer USB hub (and a DC power supply cable splitter 1>2 so you can power both the DE10 and hub) is an option, maybe try that, they're small great and you can attach it to the DE10 for a clean look.
WPL

Unread post by WPL »

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to say that I am using the MiSTer design USB hub. I also forgot to mention that the controller works great on my PC, so that isn't the issue either. I just tried an Inland brand OTG micro USB cable directly into the DE-10 board and that didn't work. I have a 5 amp power supply plugged into the DE-10 and the hub so I know that power isn't the issue. I'm really at a loss on this.
edr

Unread post by edr »

If you've mapped other types of controllers to this same MiSTer in the same USB ports and they worked, not sure what else to try, maybe another Xbox controller :) ? Maybe a wireless Microsoft BT dongle instead of USB, if you have one. If you haven't tried some other controller type yet (Nintendo, 8BitDo etc), worth a try to rule out problems with the MiSTer/USB.

If this is the first controller you're adding, then -
1) In main menu (after boot), press F12 on a keyboard and do "Define joystick buttons". If the controller is recognized here, you're ⭐.
2) Then load some Arcade or Console core, go to the core menu and map the controller again, to that specific core.
Bahn Yuki

Unread post by Bahn Yuki »

I have similar issue with the series controller. It intermittently works and I think it's just draws more power than the One controller. My controller works fine on a pc, but goes in and out on mister. Will work, then stops, then comes back again. The other controllers I have don't do that. Tried three different series controllers.

Would really like this to work, as the series controller has an exceptional dpad.
bbqlovers

Unread post by bbqlovers »

Having the same issue with xbox series S/X controller and dongle when the dongle is plugged into the USB hub, loosing connection every so often for 5-10 seconds. This seems to happen regardless of the USB port on the official hub I use, also do not have this issue with the same devices on my pc.
WPL

Unread post by WPL »

For anyone who is having the same issues that I'm having: It turns out that having batteries in the controller AND plugging it into the USB hub will make it work. Apparently it's a power issue.