The C64 Maxi

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Locutus73
Core Developer

The C64 Maxi

Unread post by Locutus73 »

Did anyone try to use a The C64 Maxi

As a MiSTer case/keyboard/USB hub replacing its ARM system board with a DE10-Nano?

Regards.

Locutus73
Locutus73
Core Developer

Re: The C64 Maxi

Unread post by Locutus73 »

It seems pretty straightforward
https://youtu.be/8zVdb9RXt8U?t=490

Locutus73
Xzarian

Unread post by Xzarian »

Pretty neat, I didn't even know the C64 Maxi existed... and not available in NA. :( Sounds like they intend to ship to NA sometime this year.
"MiSTer is not a garbage can with random functions used by 1-2 people."
-Sorgelig
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

I also saw video on 8Bit Guy channel that some Guy used regular C64 or Vic with Pi and some keyboard to USB board. I also have Maxi, neat device but not really handles well music roms made for dual SID. Mister core is lot better. But one thing could be added or maybe I am not getting it properly... I mean disk handling since to Play game after mount I must enter the command to run game from disk and not having know layout classic PC keyboard is useless. Pet core get this OK, but C64 not, good option will be adding option to get normal characters from PC keyboard for example (") and option to disable this option for normal C64 mapping.
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

I think on a standard US keyboard to get "*" on C64 it's the 2/@ key and ] key, or if you are using Jiffydos just press shift+esc. I'm not in front of my Mister or I would check, but my muscle memory seems to think that is correct.
schendel

Unread post by schendel »

I bought one, and soldered a socket to a USB cable (Würth WR-WTB, 2 mm pitch, https://www.mouser.ch/ProductDetail/Wur ... yVEQ%3D%3D), I guess this is not the type that was originally used, but it fits).

This way, you can plug the connector from the keyboard to the cable, and keep The C64 Maxi in working order (although I am not sure why I want to do that)

If you like, I can try to upload the keyboard definition and the joystick button definition.

You can also use it as windows PC keyboard, but this is not much fun, as, for example, the alt, cursor left and up keys are missing.

Also, having it as second keyboard is not fun because, AFAIK standard Windows keyboard layout handling is not as flexible as the MiSTer: you cannot have different key-maps for different keyboards.
djhardrich

Unread post by djhardrich »

Could you upload the keyboard/joystick definitions when you get a moment? I have a c64 maxi that I’d like to use with my setup, thanks! :)
jalbarracin

Unread post by jalbarracin »

Also interested in the keyboard definitions for TheC64
schendel

Unread post by schendel »

Sorry, I missed your posts asking for the map.
One wonders why I did not just post them right then and there, when I mentioned them...

You find the keyboard map and a map for "The C64 Joystick" attached.
It is updated to work with the current C64 core.

The arrow left would work in the original mapping, but I remapped the arrow left to F12 for more convenient OSD access.

The Menu key of the C64 Joystick also opens OSD, so if you use that, you could modify the key map to get the left-arror key back:

Open the kbd map with a hex-editor, and change (key code) location 0x29 from 0x58 to 0x00 (0x58 is key code for F12, 0x00 means no remapping).

To get it to work with older cores:
Set key code location 0x0C to 0x43
Set key code location 0x28 to 0x2B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jalbarracin

Thank you!!
schendel wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm Sorry, I missed your posts asking for the map.
One wonders why I did not just post them right then and there, when I mentioned them...

You find the keyboard map and a map for "The C64 Joystick" attached.
It is updated to work with the current C64 core.

The arrow left would work in the original mapping, but I remapped the arrow left to F12 for more convenient OSD access.

The Menu key of the C64 Joystick also opens OSD, so if you use that, you could modify the key map to get the left-arror key back:

Open the kbd map with a hex-editor, and change (key code) location 0x29 from 0x58 to 0x00 (0x58 is key code for F12, 0x00 means no remapping).

To get it to work with older cores:
Set key code location 0x0C to 0x43
Set key code location 0x28 to 0x2B
jalbarracin

Just a little question: Where did you find the original codes? for example the RESTORE key 2 digit hex code (or the RUN/STOP), where can I find the original codes? do you have a table? thanks.
jalbarracin

Hi just to contribute:
In the keyboard the keys "=" and "+" were swapped. I edited the hex file and it works (little headache finding the positions :D )
I just end with one issue : when I press shift+8 or shift+9 the symbols are the ones to the key on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deVoid

Unread post by deVoid »

jalbarracin wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:42 am Hi just to contribute:
I just end with one issue : when I press shift+8 or shift+9 the symbols are the ones to the key on the right.
Thanks for this tweak. Did you ever sort out those shift 8/9 issues? I also noticed that in the core OSD I can't go UP which is important in navigating my LONG lists of C64 games :(
Cheers.
grhmhome

Unread post by grhmhome »

I had issues where some of the keys were mapped incorrectly such as the british pound key and the c64 key. It should be mapped correctly now. I'm not sure how to remap the cursor keys to work with the osd menu, but my C64 Maxi joystick navigates that just fine.

kbd_1c59_0099.zip
grhmhome

Unread post by grhmhome »

I had the C64 key mapped incorrectly. To fix this, you just plug in two keyboards (one 64 Maxi and one standard pc keyboard) and remap the C64 key with tab. The only keys I wasn't able to fix were the shift 8/9 keys.

Edit: I can upload my updated .map file if people want. If there are any other keys that aren't mapped correctly, I can see what I can do, minus the 8 and 9 key (with shift)
NinjaWarrior

Unread post by NinjaWarrior »

I am using a Mister inside a TheVic20, but seems I can't get the shift+6 through 8 correctly mapped. I have fixed the rest editing the map file, but, as said in this thread, no luck with the shift combinations (and they can't be mapped through OSD ofc). Where I can check the .map file structure/info?
jalbarracin

I believe if somebody explains the structure of the keymap file this could help to solve the shift 8 - 9 issues.
ponder

Unread post by ponder »

Not managed to fix the 6/7 8/9/0 issues yet but fixed the C= and Restore keys.
jalbarracin

I was looking the ISO keyboards here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_9995

and noticed that in "Complementary Latin Group Layout"
ISOIEC-9995-3-2010-Complementary-Latin-Group-Layout.png

vs the "Outdated common secundary"
1080px-KB_US-ISO9995-3.svg.png

Made me think: PROBABLY the problem can be solved in the LINUX side, buy changing the iso keyboard spec there..
but can't find info on how to do this on MiSTer
jalbarracin

Well "some" advance.. if I enter LINUX from MiSTer menu (pressing F9 and login root pass:1 )
I can type:
loadkeys de
and when I press the keys Shift8,9... they work in the console... mmm but not in C64 core :(