Direct Video Broken in Latest Update?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
chromium

Direct Video Broken in Latest Update?

Unread post by chromium »

I just ran update_all and now I the image won't sync on my CRT, it was fine before.

I reverted back to https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r_20220511 and it works again.
djsquare

Re: Direct Video Broken in Latest Update?

Unread post by djsquare »

Yes it broke for me too. I'm glad I'm not the only one
goodmaki

Unread post by goodmaki »

I'm not having this issue with the Analog I/O VGA. Is Direct Video the HDMI analog?
chromium

goodmaki wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 am I'm not having this issue with the Analog I/O VGA. Is Direct Video the HDMI analog?
Yep
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

The main mister_220517, which I dragged manually to my SD (not by doing update_all) works ok via Direct Video.
chromium

akeley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 am The main mister_220517, which I dragged manually to my SD (not by doing update_all) works ok via Direct Video.
Hmmm. I checked that one and it had the same hash as the one downloaded by update_all.

It must be sending out a signal that my CRT doesn't like as it just won't sync.
chromium

MiSTer_20220511

ED66TIo.png
ED66TIo.png (3.99 MiB) Viewed 2966 times

MiSTer_20220517

5Oj4Raq.png
5Oj4Raq.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2966 times
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It's interesting, because it also seems to fix some cores which wouldn't sync on DV before (eg Atari ST). I will check it more in depth later on my consumer TVs.
AlxUnderBase

Unread post by AlxUnderBase »

The update_all cause same problem in my case , this morning !

1 : https://youtube.com/shorts/b4GkmQfNYak

2 : https://youtube.com/shorts/Xe7e50dQzu0

"Syncguard" anyway protect my arcade crt !

Thank you for suggestion, i replaced with "MiSTer_20220511" and is working again as yesterday !
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

There's some cryptic notes in the updates
Main:
- Move HDMI output configuration to HPS for better flexibility and future options.
- video: make HDMI game mode optional (in MiSTer.ini).
- video: associate a VIC mode with the predefined video modes (Martin Donlon).
Maybe one of these is related?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've just tried to run update_all with that new mister main, and it also went out of sync. I guess it's something that will be fixed with the next update, for now just best stick with the previous mister if you are using Direct Video.
chromium

akeley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:08 pm It's interesting, because it also seems to fix some cores which wouldn't sync on DV before (eg Atari ST). I will check it more in depth later on my consumer TVs.
I was able to sync Atari ST before. Pretty much all 15Khz cores were perfect before the update. I didn't actually try any cores with the new update because I can't even see the menu :) I guess I could do it blind.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

edit mister.ini to set a bootcore and you won't need the menu, at least for testing.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

chromium wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:47 pm I was able to sync Atari ST before. Pretty much all 15Khz cores were perfect before the update.
In some edge cases like mine, a few cores/video modes in cores (eg ST, Amstrad PCW) didn't work on DV. I figured out eventually it was down to the adapter, because it was the same behaviour with totally different cables and TV sets. Seems like the HDMI stuff in the update fixed these niggles, maybe made it more tolerant or something, while breaking DV as well :) But I'm sure it will be sorted out soon...
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

Same happened here.
Lost video sync in my DirectVideo setup (Hdmi to VGA adapter. then RGBs to CRT TV) with latest Mister main update

I had to revert to MiSTer_20220511.
chromium

akeley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:03 pm In some edge cases like mine, a few cores/video modes in cores (eg ST, Amstrad PCW) didn't work on DV. I figured out eventually it was down to the adapter, because it was the same behaviour with totally different cables and TV sets. Seems like the HDMI stuff in the update fixed these niggles, maybe made it more tolerant or something, while breaking DV as well :) But I'm sure it will be sorted out soon...
Yeah most likely the adapter. I have 3 HDMI to VGA adapters here.
A Tendak that seems to work on all cores except PSX.
A Ugreen that works on all except Atari 7800, Atari 5200 and Commodore 16
An unbranded one that works on everything

It's real hit and miss :)
chromium

AlxUnderBase

Unread post by AlxUnderBase »

I trieded latest nightly build and now is working
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

So yes, the DV in general is fixed...but now "my" broken cores (which were not working previously for me but then did after that 20220517 update), are broken again. Guess it's my turn to open a ticket...perhaps it could be sorted so both these things work.
chromium

akeley wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:44 pm So yes, the DV in general is fixed...but now "my" broken cores (which were not working previously for me but then did after that 20220517 update), are broken again. Guess it's my turn to open a ticket...perhaps it could be sorted so both these things work.
Interesting. Which cores do you have issues with. I still have issues with Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Commodore 16, ZX Spectrum and PSX. Depending on which HDMI to VGA adapter I use. All of them work on most cores, but 2 of them have issues with some of the cores above. The one that seems to work on most cores as issues with Wonder Boy in Monsterland, but the other 2 don't. It's a lottery. I'm going to get the analog io board :)

I didn't try any of my problem cores on the build where the menu didn't work. Maybe I should see if it helped
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

chromium wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:31 am Interesting. Which cores do you have issues with.
I've tried all the computer cores, these don't sync on my adapter (called Logilink and based on AG6200, or so they say at least).
Atari ST
Amstrad PCW
Tatung Einstein
Galaksija
Lynx 48
TRS Coco

Most of the consoles are ok, though I had some syncing problems within few particular games - not sure if it's related. Also, modelines do not work.

I'm currently testing another AG6200 based solution and it's the same behaviour.

This had been bothering me nearly 2 years, and I really wanted to get Atari ST going. One day I kind of accidently tried UMSA with it, and it made all these problematic cores (plus modelines) work! No idea why but that'd been my solution until I got IO board recently.

It's indeed interesting that on your adapters completely other cores don't work (and I never had problems with them). Does any of them claim to be AG6200 based?
chromium

akeley wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:54 am I've tried all the computer cores, these don't sync on my adapter (called Logilink and based on AG6200, or so they say at least).
Atari ST
Amstrad PCW
Tatung Einstein
Galaksija
Lynx 48
TRS Coco

Those are all fine for me.

I'm using https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail I guess that is a factor is well

It's indeed interesting that on your adapters completely other cores don't work (and I never had problems with them). Does any of them claim to be AG6200 based?

I don't think any of them claim to be anything tbh :)

I have:
https://www.tendak.com/products/hdmi-to-vga
https://www.ugreen.com/products/hdmi-to ... dio-jack-1

The one that works best (all cores apart from dropouts on Wonder Boy in Monsterland, but has audio noise) is unbranded.

I just ordered https://www.ugreen.com/products/hdmi-to ... audio-jack for fun, to try out. 4th time lucky maybe? :lol:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

chromium wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:57 pm I'm using https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2 ... how_detail I guess that is a factor is well
Oh, for sure. This probably does something like my UMSA, which alleviates the problem - to some extent at least, since you say other cores still don't work. Could you try without this adapter, just plain MiSTer - HDMI DAC - cable - TV? If you have a MiSTer VGA - SCART cable, of course?
chromium wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:57 pm I don't think any of them claim to be anything tbh :)
Some of them would say what chip they are based on in the product description. That's how I got mine, I typed AG6200 in my "local ebay's" search.
chromium

akeley wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:12 pm
Oh, for sure. This probably does something like my UMSA, which alleviates the problem - to some extent at least, since you say other cores still don't work. Could you try without this adapter, just plain MiSTer - HDMI DAC - cable - TV? If you have a MiSTer VGA - SCART cable, of course?

Some of them would say what chip they are based on in the product description. That's how I got mine, I typed AG6200 in my "local ebay's" search.
I don't have a proper VGA to SCART cable. I have one based on this design http://scarthunter.blogspot.com/2012/04 ... cable.html that I used on my PC with CRTEmu_driver years ago. I had some success with it on my 1084S, but some cores would give me an image that bounced up and down the screen by a few pixels. It also wouldn't work at all with my PVMs

I've ordered an analog io board anyway, hopefully that brings me joy :)

Oh and I mean that I don't any of my HDMI to VGA adapters claim to be anything :)
chromium

So I received the other Ugreen adapter today and it works perfectly on every core. plus the sound is perfect!

Now I'm wondering if I should swap my analog io board order to the digital one :lol:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

chromium wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:01 am So I received the other Ugreen adapter today and it works perfectly on every core. plus the sound is perfect!
It works, but with the VGA-SCART adapter you mentioned earlier?
chromium

akeley wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:27 am
chromium wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:01 am So I received the other Ugreen adapter today and it works perfectly on every core. plus the sound is perfect!
It works, but with the VGA-SCART adapter you mentioned earlier?
Yes. It's the only one I have. Well, apart from that old cable with all sorts of issues :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

chromium wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:35 am Yes. It's the only one I have. Well, apart from that old cable with all sorts of issues :)
Cool, glad you found an adapter with no issues. Just wanted to mention that you're using another device in the chain for those who try to connect only via MiSTer cable. We're trying to figure out the way to have 100% Direct Video core compatibility via DAC-only based solution atm.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

This is still an issue. :( I just ran update all, Mister borked. Now I'll have to try to restore it with no video output.

Edit: Crap. I don't know how to do it... I went to https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... /releases/ and downloaded MiSTer_unstable_20220523_14d963.

I renamed this file into only MiSTer, then put it on media\fat\ via Filezilla.

Edit 2: Okay the file was not written. I had to upload it with a different name, then delete the MiSTer file, then rename the new file into MiSTer. Now it works. Phew.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

This latest version should now work with the problematic cores AND the menu, as per: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/615
The earlier versions should actually work too, if you pressed F1 in the menu and chose the "white noise" background.

Big thanks to paulb-nl for sorting it out, it has been bothering me since I had my MiSTer.