tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2oled Soft&Hardware Add-On (Shows Core based Pictures on a Display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Only a single update: Soldier Girl Amazon
But a request for you sheet experts out there... Can one insert a new column for my tty2tft pictures, please? I've tried but failed 'cause of linked formulas and I didn't want to break anything, so I left it as it is.
tty2tft is almost finished and will begin a closed beta test the next weeks, if anybody is interested in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

RealLarry wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 am Only a single update: Soldier Girl Amazon
But a request for you sheet experts out there... Can one insert a new column for my tty2tft pictures, please? I've tried but failed 'cause of linked formulas and I didn't want to break anything, so I left it as it is.
tty2tft is almost finished and will begin a closed beta test the next weeks, if anybody is interested in.

Here is someone interested in trying it!

:roll: :roll: :roll: ;)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:13 am
RealLarry wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 am Only a single update: Soldier Girl Amazon

Here is someone interested in trying it!

:roll: :roll: :roll: ;)
Yeah, I know :D
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

That's done now Larry, I'll add a counter once there is some data in there
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:08 pm
Aaah, what a great collaboration! Thanks! Column of tty2tft filled with some CSV import/export magic :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:21 am
Moondandy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:08 pm
Aaah, what a great collaboration! Thanks! Column of tty2tft filled with some CSV import/export magic :)
Wow! You have been busy! Great effort!

Something seems to have gone wrong in the non arcade tab, the any image data seems to have been dragged into the file names column. I don't have time to look at the change log right now, but you know what happened and are able to fix quickly that would be great, if not I can try look later.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:34 pmSomething seems to have gone wrong in the non arcade tab, the any image data seems to have been dragged into the file names column. I don't have time to look at the change log right now, but you know what happened and are able to fix quickly that would be great, if not I can try look later.
Oi, but this was my starting point this morning. I have made a backup before filling my column and the title of "Any Image" was already "Any tty2oled" in both Cores tab and Arcade. Anyway, the function of the "Any" column seems to be correct and only it's title is wrong, isn't it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

All looks fine now, maybe something weird was displaying my end this morning
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Sorry for such a basic question, but is tty2oled supposed to do anything outside of SAM? I was expecting that it might change the display to reflect the active core when actually playing games, for example, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Ignore - just updated restarted and voila, it's doing exactly that! =)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I was finally able to show off the MiSTer and TTY2OLED (running MiSTer SAM of course) to colleagues at work on "R&D Friday". There was a lot of interest in it, it was really fun.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:02 pm I was finally able to show off the MiSTer and TTY2OLED (running MiSTer SAM of course) to colleagues at work on "R&D Friday". There was a lot of interest in it, it was really fun.
Nice to hear. So you are having a "R&D Friday" as well as a "JT Friday"? Luck bastard ;) Are there photos availabe?
The real funny thing with these small, stupid and very limited OLEDs are to get it working anyway and to squeeze in as much information as possible. This is a kind of art for it's own. I learned a lot from this and this led to supporting related projects. win-win-win for all of us. Yeah!

And now something totally different...: Coffee!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:50 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:02 pm I was finally able to show off the MiSTer and TTY2OLED (running MiSTer SAM of course) to colleagues at work on "R&D Friday". There was a lot of interest in it, it was really fun.
Nice to hear. So you are having a "R&D Friday" as well as a "JT Friday"? Luck bastard ;) Are there photos availabe?
The real funny thing with these small, stupid and very limited OLEDs are to get it working anyway and to squeeze in as much information as possible. This is a kind of art for it's own. I learned a lot from this and this led to supporting related projects. win-win-win for all of us. Yeah!

Haha, indeed. It is a really fun initiative of my department. You can either work on the project you're on, or on a hobby project. Then at the end of the day you can share the progress you've made. I was also able to show my 3D renders and my game on my holographic display (Looking Glass Portrait) as well, which can only be done well IRL.

Sadly no photos this time.

Yeah, squeezing a lot of information into the display is a challenge. MiSTer SAM still has trouble sometimes with long filenames. Always great to learn useful things from hobby projects.

I'm having tea right now :)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:28 am

Haha, indeed. It is a really fun initiative of my department. You can either work on the project you're on, or on a hobby project. Then at the end of the day you can share the progress you've made. I was also able to show my 3D renders and my game on my holographic display (Looking Glass Portrait) as well, which can only be done well IRL.

Yeah, squeezing a lot of information into the display is a challenge. MiSTer SAM still has trouble sometimes with long filenames. Always great to learn useful things from hobby projects.

A holographic display? Hell, when you have finished my ordered HoloDeck, just say Hello and I'll come over :D
Now doing breakfast with a cup of tea, then continueing with tty2tft, which is making great strides.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:35 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:28 am

A holographic display? Hell, when you have finished my ordered HoloDeck, just say Hello and I'll come over :D
Now doing breakfast with a cup of tea, then continueing with tty2tft, which is making great strides.
Yeah, it is really cool. I was lucky to be in time for the Kickstarter early bird price. It can display 45 to about 90 horizontal directions of a hologram, holographic video or interactive hologram. So you see the hologram in 3D, without using glasses and can look around it (only horizontally) within about 50 degrees.
There's a Blender plug-in for rendering holograms for it and you can make interactive ones with Unity or Unreal Engine, or even just custom software.

So yeah, TTY2HOLO, where you see a hologram of the core hardware that you are running :D

Hmm, that reminds me, I have a Divoom Pixoo 64 display (64 x 64 RGB LEDs) that has some kind of web API. Quite limited resolution, but it could in theory display something core/MiSTer related.

Looking forward to your progress with TTY2TFT. Really fun to see those commercials running on it. Another fun thing to show could be famous appearances of the hardware in movies and series.
salamantecas

where is there info about that holographic screen i want to get in touch with dark vader through it to scold him a bit :P

Today it seems that my connection is failing a bit so I'm going to get some fresh air and then in the afternoon I'll check everything that's new
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

The holographic display I have is here: https://lookingglassfactory.com/portrait
Its price has increased because of the component shortage. It has a Pi 4 built-in so it can show holograms (images and videos) without being connected to a computer.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:58 am Yeah, it is really cool. I was lucky to be in time for the Kickstarter early bird price. It can display 45 to about 90 horizontal directions of a hologram, holographic video or interactive hologram. So you see the hologram in 3D, without using glasses and can look around it (only horizontally) within about 50 degrees.
There's a Blender plug-in for rendering holograms for it and you can make interactive ones with Unity or Unreal Engine, or even just custom software.
So yeah, TTY2HOLO, where you see a hologram of the core hardware that you are running :D
I read there that there is a "2D to 3D conversion" tool/API/whatever. I wonder what it would look like when a simple picture got converted?

Hmm, that reminds me, I have a Divoom Pixoo 64 display (64 x 64 RGB LEDs) that has some kind of web API. Quite limited resolution, but it could in theory display something core/MiSTer related.
Just had a quick look at them. A combination of 4 horizontally and 2 vertically should be possible, giving the size of a tty2oled but in colour :) But their frame is disruptive...

Looking forward to your progress with TTY2TFT. Really fun to see those commercials running on it. Another fun thing to show could be famous appearances of the hardware in movies and series.
Hehe, yes, nice idea, but these good ole machines are mostly not directly apparent and I fear that some users with a birthday >~1999 will ask us "...what and why are you showing this scene?" :D
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

RealLarry wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:58 am Yeah, it is really cool. I was lucky to be in time for the Kickstarter early bird price. It can display 45 to about 90 horizontal directions of a hologram, holographic video or interactive hologram. So you see the hologram in 3D, without using glasses and can look around it (only horizontally) within about 50 degrees.
I read there that there is a "2D to 3D conversion" tool/API/whatever. I wonder what it would look like when a simple picture got converted?
Correct, I haven't tried it yet. I got some credit for a conversion service with my purchase as well. It questimates depth and then generates someting 3D looking based on the image and depth map.

More interesting has been software that analyzes stereoscopic photos and converts them to something with lots of parallax layers, accounting for transparent and reflective parts.
Just had a quick look at them. A combination of 4 horizontally and 2 vertically should be possible, giving the size of a tty2oled but in colour :) But their frame is disruptive...
That would be pretty large :D It would be a bit like an old school vidiwall.

They used to support syncing four of their original Pixoo displays. Not sure if you could uniquely identity multiple Pixoo 64 displays with their web API.
Hehe, yes, nice idea, but these good ole machines are mostly not directly apparent and I fear that some users with a birthday >~1999 will ask us "...what and why are you showing this scene?" :D
Maybe 'year of birth' could be a TTY2TFT setting :D
salamantecas

The truth is that the work that Larry is doing through the tty2oled project from Venice as tty2tft is spectacular and if surely the people who were born after 1999 do not know how to appreciate those friend videos or some cores when succed the transition from the diskette/cartridge to the cd-rom they know that cinematics was a before and after in the entertainment era. Although in my opinion the cd rom run too much. I would have liked a little more time at that time. I would like to get to see arcade canopies created with ttyxxx projects, my intention is to eliminate the pc inside my arcade that generates too much noise and place a Mister inside with a tty canopy and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. In the past in the club I once saw a friend use a computer to generate images with lasers flying over people....maybe we'll see something like that with those holographic screens one day in Mister. imagining it is fun no matter what thanks to all those who make this possible a thousand thanks to all
jacob.pederson

Unread post by jacob.pederson »

Hello everybody. Just did a reinstall to a larger SD card and am now getting an error when trying to start tty2oled on boot

9gOypLa.png

When you start it up manually it works as normal. Before I did the reinstall it started on boot with no issue. Smells like a permissions issue to me, but I'm not sure permission to what file? Thanks!

EDIT: Still not sure what the issue was, but copied the user-startup.sh file over from my old SD card and that fixed it.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I think I got it.
You have used the tty2oled_cc tool, correct?

For a fresh installation you need to download and run the tty2oled Installer/Updater.
See https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tt ... stallation
This Scripts loads everything and configures the tty2oled autostart.

The tty2oled_cc tool is not for the setup.
It's more like a little gadget and will have some bugs.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

salamantecas

RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:03 pm alternative logo for Sega Saturn
Always welcomed, but I' not convinced of it. I tried with the same template and got very similar results. Then I chose a different approach with a better result, imho. Let the users decide - or we're keeping all of them :)

salamantecas
Saturn3.gif
Larry / "glow"
Saturn2.gif
Larry / regular
Saturn1.gif
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I choose Door No.2 ;)

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

salamantecas

ok my vote is also for 2 since it shines more ;-)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

While we are waiting for the rush of the survey participants... I made these the last days but was too busy to show:
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Is that really what XT stood for? Huh. I guess AT was Advanced Technology?
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

For the Saturn logo I think all options should be available. This gives variety if you use alternates or lets you pick the one you like the best if you don't. I think the color of the screen might have a big impact on the appearance of each one.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

rhester72 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 am Is that really what XT stood for? Huh. I guess AT was Advanced Technology?
Hehe, yes, that's correct... AT != XT ;)
RealLarry
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:59 am For the Saturn logo I think all options should be available. This gives variety if you use alternates or lets you pick the one you like the best if you don't. I think the color of the screen might have a big impact on the appearance of each one.
Yeah, we are having all options for that. That's why tty2* is having an (default enabled USE_RANDOM_ALT) option to use "alternate versions" of a picture. But I want to use only one of the above as they're more or less identical. It's up to to you Da Vincis out there to present more :)