mt32-pi Guru Mediation core 1 will halt now

holaplaneta

mt32-pi Guru Mediation core 1 will halt now

Unread post by holaplaneta »

Hi there,

A couple of months ago, I got one mt32-pi from https://misterfpga.co.uk, which I used with a raspberry pi 3A+ with no issue on the X68000 core (Castlevania).

I just got another MiSTer and another mt32-pi, all are the latest revisions from the same seller. But when I run the X68000 core, the mt32-pi won't work. 

When turning it on, it does display the mt32-pi logo correctly, but then it displays "Guru Mediation: core 1 will halt now" and after a couple of minutes it ends up with the message "System halted. Please reboot". It appears correctly displayed on the X68000 menu´s options.

Now, the weird thing is that my previous mt32-pi on my old MiSTer has started to do the same thing! At first I thought that this issue was because when I got the new mt32-pi, I just formatted and copied the contents of the already configured unit's MicroSD card to the new one. But now I have switched the MicroSD´s, cables, MiSTers, and mt32-pi and the problem persists on both.

I googled this issue and I can't find any leads, I just know that I found the following update on the Github page of the mt32-pi."v0.10.2 Fixed: Guru Meditation that could occur if non-default mt32emu options were specified but the synth was unavailable due to missing ROMs."

If anyone can help or guide me here, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

lufeig

Re: mt32-pi Guru Mediation core 1 will halt now

Unread post by lufeig »

start from scratch: format sd card, write mt32-pi 0.11.3 contents on it, write your rom(s), configure settings accordingly.

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/rel ... ag/v0.11.3

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... -and-usage
holaplaneta

Thanks lufeig, I already did it twice, I will try again and report... I have tried with two SD cards, 1gb and 4gb, that I have used with no issues for years, but maybe I´ll try other ones.
lufeig

Unread post by lufeig »

holaplaneta wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:28 am Thanks lufeig, I already did it twice, I will try again and report... I have tried with two SD cards, 1gb and 4gb, that I have used with no issues for years, but maybe I´ll try other ones.
please check your inbox! ;)
holaplaneta

I formatted both cards to FAT32 and tried an extra one. I used the provided Github files and configured them correctly.

However, I got the same result:
-If I connect it using the "USB port" on the mt32-pi to the User Port of the MiSTer, it gets detected by the X68000 core's OSD and I can turn it on/off with the physical switch it has. The displays shows the same issue “Guru mediation” error.
-If I connect it using the USB port on the Raspberry Pi 3A+ to the MiSTer, it turns on automatically, but it does not get detected by the X68000 core and the on/off switch on it won’t work at all. The displays shows the same issue “Guru mediation” error.

I did change RAM modules on both units at some point, do you think that maybe I bent a pin or something for this error to suddenly happen in both of my MiSTer units with different mt32-pi modules and MicroSD cards? Also, as a note I am using a more powerful AC adapter than the one provided (Triad WSU050-4000) and I am using the latest USB hub revision by misterfpga.co.uk

What makes me wonder is that at some point, my first MiSTer was working perfectly, with no issues... all that has changed since then is that I updated it with update_all and changed the RAM.

Thank you!
holaplaneta

OK, I found the solution.

I got the "mt32pi_installer.sh" file from https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/tree/master/scripts and placed it in my MiSTer's MicroSD card /Scripts folder.
I connected an USB MicroSD reader directly to one of the MiSTer's USB ports and inserted a MicroSD card.
I pressed F12 and navigated to the right, and choose Scripts, then I ran the mt32pi_installer script.
I choose YES to all, and configured the region as US.
When the process finished, I disconnected the USB MicroSD card reader from the MiSTer and connected it to my PC.
There, on Windows 10, I placed the correct roms in the /roms folder.
Then I took the MicroSD and put it on the mt32-pi Raspberry Pi's 3A+ MicroSD card slot.
I connected the mt32-pi to the user port of the MiSTer on one side and the other to the mt32-pi unit's blue USB port (not the Raspberry Pi's white USB port) and turned the unit on.
It is now working correctly!

Thank you lufeig for your help. I am happy it is sorted out.