Best Version of Original R-Type Playable On MiSTer?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
AdamM

Best Version of Original R-Type Playable On MiSTer?

Unread post by AdamM »

I have tried a bunch of different versions and landed on PC Engine CD, then realized it was also ported to PSX as part of the "R-Types" collection.

I've since bounced between these two versions a bit... PCE CD version feels really good to play but if there's too much on screen sprites start flickering out. PSX version seems to look very close to the arcade version (if not arcade perfect) but apparently it runs slightly faster. I definitely die more in this version. There's also the fact that R-Types is a PS1 game so there's little delays with memory card saves and loading screens, though I could get used to using save states to bypass all that.

I also kind of like the aesthetic of the PCE CD game... it's got a more vibrant palette, and to my eyes the 5X scaling of PC Engine sprites looks a bit nicer than similar quality sprites shown on the PSX core (I can get it close by messing with settings, though). In my opinion a lot of mid 80s arcade games have blander palettes than the ports that came later on 16-bit consoles. Especially PCE/TG-16 games. They tend to look super clean and vibrant. A case of limitations giving advantages some of the time, depending on preference.

Any preferences anyone wants to share? Is there another better version I don't know about? I think if it weren't for the sprite flicker I'd go PC Engine CD here, but it's annoying enough that I'm seeking alternatives.

12characters

Re: Best Version of Original R-Type Playable On MiSTer?

Unread post by 12characters »

My own preference is the Turbografx-16 version since I like its sound. One can reduce the sprite flicker by enabling extra sprites per line in the core menu.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

R-Types version on PSX is as close to arcade-perfect as the game ever got in the '90s. That's the one I learned to love the game on and I consider it basically the arcade. There may be nuances I'm unaware of. Edit: Btw, if you have a great CRT (or just a digital screen) and peer very closely, you may be able to discern the telltale PSX dithering on the sprites in R-Types. But it's so easy to overlook imo it's hardly worth fretting over.

As for PCE I'd only play the CD version, if I wanted to experience its aesthetic differences. Some of the arranged music is cool.
she/her
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

There is also a version for the Sharp X68000. I haven't played it much past the first stage, but it does seem to run nearly the same speed as the arcade.
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I’m a big fan of the SMS version, developed by Compile. I’m not gonna claim it’s the best version and it isn’t arcade perfect, but it is very good, especially for the hardware.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

The Sharp X68000 Version is harder then the arcade for reasons unknown but pretty good otherwise.

I can recommend the Amiga Version, great Intro Music by Chris Hülsbeck.
Zipstick

Unread post by Zipstick »

There is also the sa-1 patched snes version. This patches a lot of the originals slowdown.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The Amiga version is also solid, it was ported by Factor5 and the music remix by Chris Hülsbeck is pretty good.

My favorite version when it comes to how impressive is this? is the Spectrum version, unbelievable.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

There is a hacked version of R-Type for SuperGrafx (Chris Covell). It's just the first few levels, but it uses the extra resolution of the SGX to show the full playfield height (rather than the scrolling on PCE). One of my favourite versions to play!
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Yim wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:20 am I’m a big fan of the SMS version, developed by Compile. I’m not gonna claim it’s the best version and it isn’t arcade perfect, but it is very good, especially for the hardware.
The SMS port is also neat for having an exclusive hidden level! You access it from the ceiling of stage 4.

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:16 pm I'm a little concerned that when we get into the PSX era these things start becoming emulation rather than ports. Any idea how r-type stacks up?
No definitive proof, but I have always assumed R-Types was an emulation package. A pretty nicely done one, in my estimation.
she/her
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Wave wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:51 pm R-Types version on PSX is as close to arcade-perfect as the game ever got in the '90s. That's the one I learned to love the game on and I consider it basically the arcade. There may be nuances I'm unaware of.
I'm a little concerned that when we get into the PSX era these things start becoming emulation rather than ports. Any idea how r-type stacks up?
Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

Pretty sure that R-Type I & II on the PSX R-Types compilation are ports, and aside from them running too fast at 60hz, the PSX video output resolution not matching the one output by the original board and extra console package features.. it might as well be considered the realest deal outside of a legit cabinet.

As has already been been stated, you can't really go wrong with many R-Type versions. The PC-E and SMS are my go-tos after the PSX one. The SMS FM soundtrack is my favourite sounding one of them all.
elvis

Unread post by elvis »

Zipstick wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:33 am There is also the sa-1 patched snes version. This patches a lot of the originals slowdown.
As well as Vitor Vilela's excellent SA-1 hacks/patches, the SNES core on MiSTer has an overclock/turbo feature that kills The slowdown on very early SNES titles quite nicely.

With either option, SNES Super R-Type is a pleasure to play again.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

elvis wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:39 am
Zipstick wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:33 am There is also the sa-1 patched snes version. This patches a lot of the originals slowdown.
As well as Vitor Vilela's excellent SA-1 hacks/patches, the SNES core on MiSTer has an overclock/turbo feature that kills The slowdown on very early SNES titles quite nicely.

With either option, SNES Super R-Type is a pleasure to play again.
Super R-Type is actually a modified version of R-Type II, whereas the poster was looking for ports of the original R-Type.
AdamM

Unread post by AdamM »

Lots of great perspective here, thanks everyone! I'm loving the TG-16 complete game and PCE CD version with extra sprites per line turned on. Not sure how I missed that option! I like the CD soundtrack.

I think I'll have to try out the SMS version again just to see an interesting conversion. And I may try some more of the PSX version but that extra bit of speed throws me off. I'm probably just used to the TG/PCE timing and I'm sure it's possible to adjust. I even played a bit of the GBC game because I remember a friend had it back when it came out, and it's really not great (at least not with these other versions available).

And yeah I was looking for versions of the fist game, but playing Super R-Type with the turbo feature is great! I love that the option is there, even though I've mostly been happy with the accurate slowdown in SNES games (in Super Mario World, for example) that MiSTer provides. Nice to have the option to "fix" broken games and also have the "real" experience with the games I remember fondly, slow down and all.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Super R-Type's hit and miss but the first-stage music is legendary. 🎶🎵

Honorary mention to stage 3.
she/her
Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

PCE and SPECCY!
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

So um, inspired by this thread, I just did an update all and went to test Super R-Type's music on my new speakers and for some reason music playback in that game is fairly screwed. Can anyone else verify? The stage one music is the most obvious, with instruments playing in the wrong spots, dropping out, etc. The drop out is heard in other tracks too, like the launch sequence intro. Try the sound test.

I know the SNES core has been seeing audio additions lately with MSU, so wonder if that's related.
pgimeno wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am Does downgrading help?
I should test that. Will tonight.
she/her
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Does downgrading help?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Just stumbled across this version, didn't knew if before. There is a ZX Spectrum 128K version of R-Type wie AY music: