Ordering a DE10-Nano direct from Terasic a Question?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
GreyAreaUK

Re: Ordering a DE10-Nano direct from Terasic a Question?

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

Xbytez wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 am Normally you will receive a bill from FedEx in the post usually a number of days after your delivery, the bill will be in you local currency, so if in the UK it will be in £GBP. The bill will include a processing fee and required duty amount this can then be paid online among other methods.

https://www.fedex.com/en-gb/billing/duty-tax.html

https://www.fedex.com/en-gb/billing/duty-tax.html#pay

https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-gb/accoun ... lculations
Looks fairly straightforward, although my reading of it is that because I don't have a FedEx account I may be asked to clear the payment first. Which looks to be quite simple.

Thank you!
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
GreyAreaUK

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

And I just had the text+email (nice touch) from FedEx asking me to pay the duty, which was incredibly simply to do (click-a-link easy).

So: total costs are:

Order Amount: $210
Shipping Cost: $54.73

(roughly £195) + £52 Customs duty

for a rough total of £247

Going to be honest, had I known back in November how much this would ultimately cost me I'm not 100% sure I'd have bothered, but since I also ordered a few other things (USB board, analogue board, Wifi+Bluetooth dongles, UK Power supply, 32MB RAM board and a rather nice 8" LCD display) I had a lot of stuff I couldn't use elsewhere. Well, ok the dongles I could use, and the display, but even so.

In theory it should be here tomorrow. (Looks at weather)...probably...

Oh - here's the display I got. I know it's not CRT but it's a nice size and has good input options, plus based on hooking a RetroPie setup to it it looks good. The internal speakers are dreadful as you'd expect, but it does at least have some.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08135P6GS/
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
xplic1t

Unread post by xplic1t »

Hate to revive this but figured I'd ask since it wasn't too far back.

Stock currently is set to ship by 4/30 but will only ship from the Taiwan warehouse according to the page. How do you guys get them to ship from the US warehouse ?
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

xplic1t wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:56 am Hate to revive this but figured I'd ask since it wasn't too far back.

Stock currently is set to ship by 4/30 but will only ship from the Taiwan warehouse according to the page. How do you guys get them to ship from the US warehouse ?
If you are located in the US they will ship from the US.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Postage used to be free and there was no customs charge, have things changed since I got mine?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Shipping within the US is now about $25, IIRC.
samson7point1

Unread post by samson7point1 »

Just had the weirdest experience (well I think it's weird - I've never ordered anything from Terasic before)

Last night I placed an order for a DE10-Nano - non-academic. The order went through, the payment went through - I received confirmation emails from Terasic and from PayPal.

This morning I realized that I hadn't looked at the "expected" ship date, so I went back to the website to look at my order and saw that the status was set to "Cancelled". I didn't get a cancellation email, there are no notations on the order, and no refund. I've emailed them and attempted to call their US number, it hasn't been long enough to expect a reply, and there was no answer on the phone.

But as I was typing this message I got two notices from FedEx that my package from Terasic has both been assigned a label AND picked up. All signs point to me getting a DE10-Nano shipped immediately, which is super cool. It seems like the "Cancelled" status is was a bad April Fools joke or something. Anyone else seeing similar strangeness?
samson7point1

Unread post by samson7point1 »

Just had the weirdest experience (well I think it's weird - I've never ordered anything from Terasic before)

Last night I placed an order for a DE10-Nano - non-academic, to the US. The order went through, the payment went through - I received confirmation emails from Terasic and from PayPal.

This morning I realized that I hadn't looked at the "expected" ship date, so I went back to the website to look at my order and saw that the status was set to "Cancelled". I didn't get a cancellation email, there are no notations on the order, and no refund. I've emailed them and attempted to call their US number, it hasn't been long enough to expect a reply, and there was no answer on the phone.

But as I was typing this message I got two notices from FedEx that my package from Terasic has both been assigned a label AND picked up. All signs point to me getting a DE10-Nano shipped immediately, which is super cool. It seems like the "Cancelled" status is was a bad April Fools joke or something. Anyone else seeing similar strangeness?
Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:54 am
Out of interest how did you cancel your Mouser order? I emailed them yesterday and filled out the 'alteration to order' form I later found, but have yet to hear back from them and the order is still showing on their system. I don't want to bug them, but.
I just e-mailed them and ask them to cancel it (I provided my name and the order number), I told them I found the Nano available on the manufacturer's site and they were understanding, overall they've been very nice (although I'm from Italy, so the niceness of the employees may vary but the process should be the same).
Dazed

Unread post by Dazed »

Has anyone had one shipped to Canada? What were the fees?

I’m trying to decide between buying now and paying all the import fees or waiting till July when mouser and digikey supposedly have some stock.

Thanks.
sjbaines

Unread post by sjbaines »

I'm in the UK, and I recently ordered directly from Terasic. It went very well - except the price.
Terasic and Mouser were/are both quoting end of July for availability.

Order placed on Saturday 21st, and it arrived this morning, Friday 27th - so just 6 days!
Cost was higher of course:
£223 for the DE-10 Nano, plus shipping, plus credit card currency fee.
£54 import duty (including the bloody £12 admin fee that you always get when you get hit for VAT)
Total £277. Not cheap. (It better work...)

Mouser is asking £227 shipped, but looks like it genuinely won't ship for another two months - and could get delayed further.

So, it's expensive either way, but personally an extra £50 to get it now, instead of maybe in two months, was well worth it.

A couple of other observations:
The power supply in the DE-10 Nano box has a 2-pin plug.
Mouser currently say they are expecting 237 units at end of July. This number has been slowly going down - so I assume this is the number expected and not yet already pre-ordered.
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

sjbaines wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:05 am I'm in the UK, and I recently ordered directly from Terasic. It went very well - except the price.
Terasic and Mouser were/are both quoting end of July for availability.

Order placed on Saturday 21st, and it arrived this morning, Friday 27th - so just 6 days!
Cost was higher of course:
£223 for the DE-10 Nano, plus shipping, plus credit card currency fee.
£54 import duty (including the bloody £12 admin fee that you always get when you get hit for VAT)
Total £277. Not cheap. (It better work...)

Mouser is asking £227 shipped, but looks like it genuinely won't ship for another two months - and could get delayed further.

So, it's expensive either way, but personally an extra £50 to get it now, instead of maybe in two months, was well worth it.

A couple of other observations:
The power supply in the DE-10 Nano box has a 2-pin plug.
Mouser currently say they are expecting 237 units at end of July. This number has been slowly going down - so I assume this is the number expected and not yet already pre-ordered.
i had pre order with them since Last July and they just kept pushing back the date, i went direct from terasic.
Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

sjbaines wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:05 am Mouser is asking £227 shipped, but looks like it genuinely won't ship for another two months - and could get delayed further.
My order from Mouser (that then I cancelled) was 229 shipped, but it was euros. £227 are almost €270, quite a bit more expensive. Maybe it's because of the separate British customs.
sjbaines wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:05 am So, it's expensive either way, but personally an extra £50 to get it now, instead of maybe in two months, was well worth it.
I agree, and "maybe" is the key word here, only if it was a sure thing waiting could have made sense.
sjbaines wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:05 am The power supply in the DE-10 Nano box has a 2-pin plug.
And they're flat, I bought this:

416j-HJJAVp-L-AC-SL1000.jpg
416j-HJJAVp-L-AC-SL1000.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Works perfectly but comes off too easily, I'm thinking of gluing it.
P.S. I'm not sure if you use europlugs in Britain.
TrevorKevorson

Unread post by TrevorKevorson »

I'm in the UK, I ended up getting one of these from Sainsburys (was about £4) and a 128MB SDRAM module and cheap heatsink from MisterPGA.co.uk (sods law I didn't see the Atari ST video from Pezz82 until after I'd ordered, I could have saved myself 5% by entering his discount code pezz82... not sure if it still works, I got another discount code with my order).

Longer term my plan is to get another power supply but I'm holding off until I can get a Mister Multisystem board.

Rob
Rapid7

Unread post by Rapid7 »

If your in the UK and paying that sort of money why not buy the "Cloud Connectivity Kit" these consist of the DE10 Nano & Daughter board. They are in stock at Mouser & Digi-Key they work out around the same price as importing one but at least if you have a problem your buying from UK dealers.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... K3Ug%3D%3D

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/d ... 5/13635972
Telemachus

Unread post by Telemachus »

If you are in the UK.

This is how much it will cost you to just get the DE-10 from Terasic. As of 29/12/22

DE-10 Nano + Shipping = £247.09

FedEx Import + Handling Fee = £60.05

So just over £300 for the DE-10 Nano alone.

If you are going for the complete setup

You are talking an additional £50 for 128MB RAM.

£100 or more on case and I/O board and extra accessories. (variable)

All in all you are probably looking at £500 for a complete setup, At this rate I don't think I can personally recommend a MiSTer FPGA.
But that will depend on the individual and at some point you have to say enough is enough for the sake of the consumer and the wider community.
I can see this project slowly dying through prohibitively expensive prices which will result in pushing devs and users away.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Telemachus wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:19 am

All in all you are probably looking at £500 for a complete setup, At this rate I don't think I can personally recommend a MiSTer FPGA.
But that will depend on the individual and at some point you have to say enough is enough for the sake of the consumer and the wider community.
I can see this project slowly dying through prohibitively expensive prices which will result in pushing devs and users away.

There has been an increase in cost in basically everything across the board since the pandemic began. This was never the kind of purchase that most people could pickup on a whim, yet there is no lack of new users. All the sellers are sold out regularly.

People spend far more on smartphones every day without thinking twice about it. It's all about what you value as a consumer. There is no other better option for FPGA gaming in terms of capability, so if that's what you value, you'll spend the money.

I don't disagree that inflation sucks, but I very much disagree that the project is in danger of dying because of it. Very, very few people are going to choose a MiSTer over food or shelter. It has always been a luxury item, and you and I are not typically interacting with anyone in this community who couldn't afford it already.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

250 GBP? I know the pound has dropped a lot, but that still seems way high. It's still showing at 223 dollars on the main site, and their shipping is kind of pricey, so I would expect to be able to get one delivered at about 250 dollars. In the US, talking to a rep and getting them to ship from the US office will save you the customs fees. There might be a similar option in the UK if you ask a rep. Brexit may have messed that up, however.

edit: wow, the pound has dropped even more. 250GBP is down to about $300 US. Still, it looks like you might be about $50 high on the base price plus shipping.

You can get away with just the DE-10, an SDRAM board, and a $10 OTG hub, if you're very careful about not putting stress on the Mister's OTG port. That will let you use every core, although you might need a desk fan or something to keep the board cool. You can then add other things piecemeal. This is what I did, including the desk fan, so the fiscal impact didn't feel as painful.

Even if you buy the whole shebang prebuilt, the most expensive option, it's still cheaper than a bunch of consoles.

Telemachus

Unread post by Telemachus »

Malor wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:27 pm

You can get away with just the DE-10, an SDRAM board, and a $10 OTG hub,.

A lot of those cheap OTG Hub's don't actually work on the DE-10 Nano but work on other devices, which is something worth mentioning. I've tried 3 different ones and they did nothing.

The USB port works as I've used a straight converter. So I don't think I'd recommend people go down the cheap OTG route.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I ordered this one, and it worked beautifully for months:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JL837X8/

It's currently $8.

I later replaced it with a USB switchbox, which has also been very good.