Overview of Arcade Cores?

agent4125

Overview of Arcade Cores?

Unread post by agent4125 »

Hi

I've just got my MiSTer running on my arcade cab, and noticed that some cores are better than others. For example, Commando seems to have very quiet music compared to the sound effects, and 1942 sounds very tinny/loud/distorted. DoDonPachi seems to slow down a lot (I have no idea if the original PCB has the same slowdown).

I've heard that some cores are better than others in terms of accuracy. Is there a single document or spreadsheet where all the arcade cores are listed along with progress/notes on how good/accurate they are?

Thanks!
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Overview of Arcade Cores?

Unread post by aberu »

For the tinny/loud/distorted sound cores, go to the secondary menu by pressing right in the OSD and turn on audio filters and go to arcade cores as a category when browsing for them. Tune it to your liking. These cores are based on the sound of the PCB (or very similar to it derived from mame sometimes). Arcade systems were design to project audio from big booming speakers in a cabinet with bad sound capabilities, so they were often muffled and brassier than the output of the core.
birdybro~
Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

DDP slows down exactly as my pcb did.
agent4125

Unread post by agent4125 »

thanks guys
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Honestly I would not second the theory that "bad/wrong volume/distorted" sound is because of the "bad sound capabilties in a cabinet". I mean, of course you are right that the sound circuits on PCBs are not high end hifi, but on the other hand, many arcade cores indeed have problems with inaccurate sound and putting the mister in a real cabinet doesn't make the sound any better. My guess is, we are just not already there yet with the arcade cores.

No blame intended here.
fraggore@sky.com

Unread post by fraggore@sky.com »

Just to add if you have owned arcade boards if you have a cab you might well have but the volume levels are not all the same you will have to adjust the volume on your cab per game, the other thing with sound on the cores is your getting purley whats comes out of the arcade board without any filters or the cabs amp and speakers so it wont sound the same, i find CPS 1 and 2 cores a little in the high pitch side but that just the Qsound so user the filters you can tweak the sound nicely.
leandro

Unread post by leandro »