Update vs Downloader - Setup Guide Links Give Misleading Information

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
sjbaines

Update vs Downloader - Setup Guide Links Give Misleading Information

Unread post by sjbaines »

Hi,
I'm new here, and have just built my MiSTer setup, so I followed the Setup Guide at https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide.

Under 'Mr Fusion Installation Method (Recommended)' it says 'run the standard MiSTer Updater script to get an up to date MiSTer installation.'
I did that, it appeared to work fine.

However, the link in the setup guide for 'MiSTer Updater script' links to https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater_script_MiSTer,
which shows a 'mister_updater.sh' file, and says deprecated, use downloader instead.
This in turn links to https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloader_MiSTer
which says download 'downloader.sh' and add to Scripts, then use 'downloader' option in scripts menu.

I've compared this 'downloader.sh' file with the 'update.sh' on my SD card, and they are identical,
so actually this doesn't need to be separately downloaded, and the update option is 'update' not 'downloader'.

Further down the setup page it says 'The MiSTer Downloader tool is included...' (which it seems it is), which links correctly to the downloader tool page, but as above that page then says that the file is called 'downloader.sh'.

So, it looks like (I'm new here, so I don't know):
1. The old update script was 'mister_updater.sh'.
2. A newer one was developed called 'downloader.sh', and this is now the standard one.
3. During install, the 'downloader.sh' file is renamed as 'updater.sh'

In short:
Installing Mr Fusion, then F12, Scripts, update, does appear to correctly update the board.
Pages linked to by setup guide state that you need to download 'downloader.sh', which you don't.
This is made more confusing by the statement that downloader is included (which it is - but it's called updater), and that updater script is deprecated.

Cheers - Steve
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Update vs Downloader - Setup Guide Links Give Misleading Information

Unread post by Malor »

To make this even more complex, what I use is the "update_all.sh" script, which is here, on Github. Drop that into your scripts directory and run it. You can first configure any settings you want (press UP on your input device), and then run the script. In later runs, you can just press DOWN to start immediately, or wait 15 seconds.

This version of the downloader will go to archive.org and get most of the system BIOSes and arcade ROMs. You will have a pretty complete system after you run it; all the Arcade cores should work, and you can just add ROMs for most or all consoles, or tape/disk images for computers.

I assume they don't include update_all.sh because it downloads ROMs, and they don't want the overall project killed by copyright holders.

edit: note that the first run can take a good long while.
sjbaines

Hi, yes, I was pleased to find update_all - I thought I was going to have to do all this manually...
Is there a way to tell it to ignore certain games?

E.g. I really have no interest in fighter games, so would be nice to be able to hide/remove them.
I could remove them manually, but the next update_all will presumably add them again.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

sjbaines wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:33 pm Hi, yes, I was pleased to find update_all - I thought I was going to have to do all this manually...

E.g. I really have no interest in fighter games, so would be nice to be able to hide/remove them.
I could remove them manually, but the next update_all will presumably add them again.
Sorry, there's no way to do that AFAIK.
Dreams don't die!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If you mean arcade fighter games then I suppose it could be possible using filters: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloa ... filters.md

The tag list seems a bit outdated but perhaps it works on the same principle of using "arcade-core name" tag, eg "arcade-burningrubber".
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

sjbaines wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:33 pm Hi, yes, I was pleased to find update_all - I thought I was going to have to do all this manually...

Not that I know of. The entire set of arcade files takes about 3.3G presently, between _Arcade and games/mame, so space isn't much of a problem, but clutter can be an issue. If you're choosing with the keyboard, you can just type the name of what you're interested in to remove everything else. Note that you may have to type slowly: I regularly overrun the filter input, causing it to drop keystrokes and filter to nothing.
sjbaines

Ok, thanks for the pointer re. filters.
Yes, it's more a matter of menu clutter than space.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If you use the Organizer script, you can go into Collections/By Genre, and just check out game types you like, maybe?