Super Game Boy SNES core with MSU

mathieulh

Re: Super Game Boy SNES core with MSU

Unread post by mathieulh »

I compiled the MiSTer binaries and the SGB core so that they contain the latest commits from the MiSTer Main and the SNES (mostly SPC related fixes) core. I thought I'd just share these here.
Attachments
SGB_20220530.zip
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 290 times
mathieulh

TwinFami wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 pm Did anyone actually get MSU working on here?

Tried the same exact files that were working on the SD2SNES Pro and nothing is working.

The regular Game Boy stuff works fine, but the MSU versions don't work at all.

Even changed the MiSTer main as instructed
I only managed to get Link's Awakening DX to work for some reason, anything else I've tried doesn't seem to work on MiSTer (and probably real hardware), I assume whatever patches they've made for other games were only tested on software emulators.
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Why wasn't this posted on this MiSTer Github?
Rahzadan

Unread post by Rahzadan »

the_importer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:28 pm Why wasn't this posted on this MiSTer Github?
My guess is that it will be soon, it just hasn't been decided yet how it will be handled, as it is basically a "secondary" SNES core. Need to make sure that all the beneficial commits to the SNES core also make it into the SGB core.
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Rahzadan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:03 am
the_importer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:28 pm Why wasn't this posted on this MiSTer Github?
My guess is that it will be soon, it just hasn't been decided yet how it will be handled, as it is basically a "secondary" SNES core. Need to make sure that all the beneficial commits to the SNES core also make it into the SGB core.
Considering that both GB and GBA 2 Player have their own sections, I don't see why SGB couldn't have it's own.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Amazing work paul! Personally, I prefer to use the Game Boy core bc of savestates. Regardless, this is still really cool!

Btw, is it possible to port the code of the special audio to the existing Game Boy core? I don't care as much about the borders personally, but the SGB audio is the only thing that I feel is missing from the standard Game Boy core. Can that code be ported over, or is it too dependent on SNES hardware to fit into the Game Boy core?
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 pm Amazing work paul! Personally, I prefer to use the Game Boy core bc of savestates. Regardless, this is still really cool!

Btw, is it possible to port the code of the special audio to the existing Game Boy core? I don't care as much about the borders personally, but the SGB audio is the only thing that I feel is missing from the standard Game Boy core. Can that code be ported over, or is it too dependent on SNES hardware to fit into the Game Boy core?
"the code of the special audio" is the entire SNES more or less.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Kitrinx wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:13 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:29 pm Amazing work paul! Personally, I prefer to use the Game Boy core bc of savestates. Regardless, this is still really cool!

"the code of the special audio" is the entire SNES more or less.
I like those few GB games who use the actual music from the Snes version of the same games.
mathieulh

I just rebuild the latest MiSTer Main commits (including the new video changes) along with SGB MSU Support, I thought I'd share. (the SGB core's rbf itself remains unchanged)
Attachments
SGB_20220608.zip
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
RolandoSwanson

Unread post by RolandoSwanson »

Thank you for sharing
Ko2

Unread post by Ko2 »

Tetris Flash[JP] does not start or does not show up on the screen
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

bad dump probably. works on sgb 20220608 for me
Ko2

Unread post by Ko2 »

The Tetris Flash ROM matches the registered checksum and works fine with the GB core. But if it works, then it may be just me.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

what checksum are you are you referring to there is alot of different sources.what resources are you using as reference for the checksum.also there is a bug that i think happens on sg2 to on real hardware.you can also try using SGB speed: snes or sg1 mode and the bug disappear.i think early relesses of it my not work with the super game boy 1 or 2 the game is complicated.its the same with tetris 2.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

This is awesome. Everything seems to work fine for me. Donkey Kong plays perfectly and has the extra sound channels for Daisy's voice.
MiSTerDolch

Unread post by MiSTerDolch »

It's probably something I'm doing, but when I use the Super Game Boy Player I can select the SGB bios, then when I go to select the .GB ROM, I only see any ROMS that are on the SD card, not the external USB drive I use. Took me a while becaues I only have one .GB ROM on my SD Card for testing. I can see the Game boy Roms just fine with the Game boy Core on the USB drive, just not the Super Game Boy Player. If I FTP in and move a ROM from the USB drive (0) to the SD Card I can then see, select and play the game just fine. What am I missing?
My MiSTer Dolch Pac:
viewtopic.php?p=54090#p54090
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

CMR wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:33 pm This is awesome. Everything seems to work fine for me. Donkey Kong plays perfectly and has the extra sound channels for Daisy's voice.
Pauline. ;)
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

MiSTerDolch wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:41 pm It's probably something I'm doing, but when I use the Super Game Boy Player I can select the SGB bios, then when I go to select the .GB ROM, I only see any ROMS that are on the SD card, not the external USB drive I use. Took me a while becaues I only have one .GB ROM on my SD Card for testing. I can see the Game boy Roms just fine with the Game boy Core on the USB drive, just not the Super Game Boy Player. If I FTP in and move a ROM from the USB drive (0) to the SD Card I can then see, select and play the game just fine. What am I missing?
Is there an empty games folder on the SD card you need to to remove so it'll look at the external drive instead? I don't use an external USB drive, but I think I've had that issue with SMB shares.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

jlancaster86 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:36 am
MiSTerDolch wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:41 pm It's probably something I'm doing, but when I use the Super Game Boy Player I can select the SGB bios, then when I go to select the .GB ROM, I only see any ROMS that are on the SD card, not the external USB drive I use. Took me a while becaues I only have one .GB ROM on my SD Card for testing. I can see the Game boy Roms just fine with the Game boy Core on the USB drive, just not the Super Game Boy Player. If I FTP in and move a ROM from the USB drive (0) to the SD Card I can then see, select and play the game just fine. What am I missing?
Is there an empty games folder on the SD card you need to to remove so it'll look at the external drive instead? I don't use an external USB drive, but I think I've had that issue with SMB shares.
My experience with the PSX core has been that you need the Games folder, and the system's folder inside it just like on the SD Card. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
JayRockets

Unread post by JayRockets »

under hardware in the menu there is an option to load a .bin boot rom. what is this?

wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

JayRockets wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 am

under hardware in the menu there is an option to load a .bin boot rom. what is this?

It was for the bios of Super Game Boy it is required. you Have two verion of it SGB and SGB2

Thank you paulbnl the new update is awsome for the sound part.

JayRockets

wark91 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:16 pm

It was for the bios of Super Game Boy it is required. you Have two verion of it SGB and SGB2

no, that's not what I'm talking about. this is under the hardware submenu.

wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

JayRockets wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:00 am
wark91 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:16 pm

no, that's not what I'm talking about. this is under the hardware submenu.

Sorry I was not clear on my last comment
On hardware, I use Super Game Boy 2 SGB2-CPU (Japan) (Enhancement Chip).bin (it is a bin file)
On Load SGB Bios, I use Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).sfc

/media/fat/games/SGB# sha1sum \#Bios/*
973e10840db683cf3faf61bd443090786b3a9f04 #Bios/Super Game Boy (World) (Rev 2).sfc
e5b2922ca137051059e4269b236d07a22c07bc84 #Bios/Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).sfc
93407ea10d2f30ab96a314d8eca44fe160aea734 #Bios/Super Game Boy 2 SGB2-CPU (Japan) (Enhancement Chip).bin
aa2f50a77dfb4823da96ba99309085a3c6278515 #Bios/Super Game Boy SGB-CPU (World) (Enhancement Chip).bin

JayRockets

but do you know what it's for? everything works so far without loading a .bin

TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

It's a Game Boy bootrom (also traditionally mistakenly called "BIOS") stored inside the Super Game Boy cartridge, similar to bootroms you can load in the Game Boy core. The .sfc file is the SNES part of the SGB rom, .bin file is the Game Boy part of the SGB rom.