Can’t Load Old Saves After Fresh Installation [Solved]

Klatrymadon

Can’t Load Old Saves After Fresh Installation [Solved]

Unread post by Klatrymadon »

Hi,

I had some issues with my MiSTer I couldn't seem to fix (update_all no longer working correctly and garbled Neo Geo graphics, mainly), so I decided to do a fresh installation using the latest release from here. I was about 3/4 through Alundra when I decided to go ahead with this. The save file I'd been using - 'Alundra (USA).sav' - won't load on the new installation, although it is mounted in memory card slot 1 and labelled correctly, etc. The game just freezes when it performs a memory card check (after choosing Continue on the title screen). I'm using the same version of the BIOS as far as I'm aware, and the 'empty.mcd' memory card file from the previous installation is present and in the same place as before. Does anyone know where I've gone wrong? Is there another type of file linked to saving that I've missed?

Thank you very much!
Wave

Re: Can’t Load Old Saves After Fresh Installation [Solved]

Unread post by Wave »

Vexing. See if the excellent Windows app MemcardRex can read your .sav. (You can either disable file type filtering in MemcardRex's "Open" UI or rename your .sav file with a standard extension like .mcr.) If it opens successfully and looks normal maybe you can try re-exporting it or something.

Your problem sounds odd though, not sure I'm barking up the right tree.

Are any other games' saves on the memcard(s) the game tries to open?
she/her
Klatrymadon

Unread post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks so much for this! I've opened the file in MemcardRex and it looks normal (shows the Alundra save file icon and a US flag next to it, etc), but it doesn't look like I can re-export it as a .sav. Would creating an .mcs and simply renaming it work? I've never used the program before, let alone tried to fudge anything in this way, heh.

There are several other .sav files in the same 'saves/PSX' folder, but I'm not sure if these are considered to be on the same memory card (I only have one empty.mcd in 'games/PSX', but I'm confused as to what counts as a memory card, since I read somewhere that each .sav file is its own card)!

Thanks again, Wave. :)

Edit: oh Christ, I'm a buffoon. There wasn't a problem with the saves at all - I just hadn't set up my controller properly after the reinstallation, and was missing a confirm button! (I realised this when I tried to load a Policenauts save couldn't get it to even attempt to read the card.)

What's the etiquette in this situation - delete the thread?
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Ah, okay.

Well each .sav is a separate memory card. Think of it this way: one file = one memory card. So if you rename Alundra's .sav to .mcr, open it in MemcardRex, and only see Alundra icons, then yeah, it is on its own memory card. Which is the best way to go with the current PSX core imo; keeps things simple.

To "export" it again just Save as... to an .mcr, then rename the .mcr to .sav so the MiSTer core finds it in the usual saves folder. I suggest making a backup of your prior, non-working Alundra .sav also, just so you still have it in case it's needed.

That said, again, I will be a little surprised, though pleasantly so, if this re-made save ends up solving it.

If it doesn't, another thing you could try is acquiring older versions of the PSX core and attempted to load your save on them. It's possible your freeze is due to a regression in a newer version. (I don't see older versions on the PSX core github but I'm sure some are floating around somewhere.)

And you're welcome!

Edit: lol I see you solved it. Happy ending!

I think the etiquette is to go enjoy your games.
she/her