I’m Stuck? A Majority of Newer Arcade Cores Won’t Recognize Inputs

Vrikk

I’m Stuck? A Majority of Newer Arcade Cores Won’t Recognize Inputs

Unread post by Vrikk »

I thought I had messed up my install, so I did an absolute complete wipe. I did a new Mr. Fusion install, ran the update_all script, and ran the wifi script.

Beyond this, the only thing i've done is ensured that my jtbeta.zip file was in my MAME folder (and yes, it's still zipped).

The games load fine. I hear sound. I see no graphical issues - but after setting my controls then hitting "save settings" nothing happens. I hit the coin button to tell the game I'm ready to play... nothing. I hit ALL the buttons. Nothing.

I tried Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 3, The Punisher, DoDonPachi, Alien vs. Predator, and a couple others (probably 19XX). I just sat and watched the intro/demonstration screen over and over again.

The only games that I tried that ran were old - like Dig Dug.

What gives? All the other consoles I've set up work right.

I've tried with a wireless keyboard and a 8bitdo SNES controller. Nothing.
peke

Re: I’m Stuck? A Majority of Newer Arcade Cores Won’t Recognize Inputs

Unread post by peke »

Hi, I have the same problem, I´m using an xarcade dual stick (and a wireless mini keyboard), I read this post but didn´t try it, maybe it help.

viewtopic.php?t=894
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

peke wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:22 am Hi, I have the same problem, I´m using an xarcade dual stick (and a wireless mini keyboard), I read this post but didn´t try it, maybe it help.

viewtopic.php?t=894
Interesting. Have you gotten any types of controllers to work for the arcade cores that are nonresponsive for you? I've tried a wireless keyboard and a BT 8bitdo with no results.

It's so strange that this is only affecting arcade cores.
peke

Unread post by peke »

i got that issue with some arcade games, not all, didn´t bother yet to fix it, so I keep an eye on this to see if someone got the right answer!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Did you run the controller setup in the MiSTer main menu (not within the core)?
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:40 pm Did you run the controller setup in the MiSTer main menu (not within the core)?
I did, but I found out that it had not saved. The ini file was apparently not there. I had to recreate it by hand, remap the 8bitdo controller to it so it's seen outside of the arcade cores, and I think I'm good to go. I'm curious why the controller was recognizable in console cores, but whatever.

Now I have the issue of having to disconnect and connect the 8bitdo adapter whenever a new arcade core loads, but that's a separate problem :)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

If the INI is not saving changes, then it's possible your linux image is corrupted, here's the steps to fix that.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... the-mister
birdybro~
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

aberu wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:29 pm If the INI is not saving changes, then it's possible your linux image is corrupted, here's the steps to fix that.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... the-mister
Thank you. Any idea why I need to replug the 8bitdo adapter back in every time I load a core?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Usually low level stuff like that is related to the linux image being corrupt. Have you already gone through the steps I linked above? If so, is it still occurring after that?
birdybro~
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I think you also asked, and then deleted, this question on reddit. This was my answer there, but edited a fair bit:

When you configure a core, the settings are supposed to go in /media/fat/config. Can you verify that the files are being created there?

The directory needs to exist, be writable, and have enough space for new files to be written for that to work.

Also, you need two subdirs in config, 'inputs' and 'nvram'. Joystick configs are specifically written to /media/fat/config/inputs, where the main configuration for the core goes in /media/fat/config. nvram is used for cores that have built-in memory, like high score tables. Cores that have per-cartridge saves (like the SNES), will create subdirs in /media/fat/saves and /media/fat/savestates. Saved data of various sorts, in other words, ends up strewn all over, but the key dirs you care about for now are /media/fat/config and /media/fat/config/inputs.

edit to add more: Also, the general procedure is to first do the joystick/keyboard config at the main menu, and save those settings. Once those are saved, you go into a specific core, and do the input config on the page to the right of the main one. Then, on that same page, you do Save Settings to write a config file for that core.

The easiest way to check that the files are being written correctly is probably by SSHing in with a laptop, running an ls in those dirs before configuration, and then doing the same thing after. If nothing is being written, test to be sure that you can create, write, and delete files in those dirs from the command line.

Those are stored on a FAT32 volume, so permissions shouldn't be a problem, but if you're out of space or if Linux has somehow mounted the FAT partition as read-only, nothing would stick. Testing from the command line will help you prove that the underlying filesystem is working correctly.

F9 at the main menu will also give you a command prompt, if you don't have a laptop handy or haven't configured SSH on the Mister. F12 gets you back to the main menu again.
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

I can confirm that the config folder is being made on the root of my SD card, and that input and nvram folders were made automatically during normal MiSTer use.

https://imgur.com/a/2myhMp7

I can also confirm that it looks like files are in "inputs"

https://imgur.com/a/LE5orud

I downloaded the linux folder you mentioned, overwrote all the files that were already on my SD card's linux folder, and re-connected my wireless keyboard and my bluetooth 8bitdo controller. Reconnected to WiFi too just to make sure that all the dongles were working.

Made sure my 8bitdo controller was mapped on the MAIN MiSTer menu (and not just in a specific core.)

My 8bitdo controller still disconnects when I load an arcade core, so I have to unplug its adapter and reconnect it every time. I tried the SNES and Genesis core again just to make sure, and the connection stays the entire time. Loading a console doesn't immediately turn off the Bluetooth adapter and corresponding controller like it still does for arcade cores :/

I thought I had solved it too, since the first game I loaded up was DoDonPachi, and the Bluetooth stayed on! But then I tried 19XX, The Punisher, and Alien vs. Predator, and I had to reconnect :(
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Did you update the firmware for your 8bitdo adapter yet? Did you update the firmware for the controllers? Are you making sure to use the controllers in xinput mode only?
birdybro~
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

I had the same problem when the sega 16 core came out. It refused inputs on all games. It still is kinda broken in that no inputs work on any sega 16 game, but now it is at least somewhat possible to map buttons to the games, but it doesn’t work every time for some reason. I use a wired usb controller.
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

aberu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:57 am Did you update the firmware for your 8bitdo adapter yet? Did you update the firmware for the controllers? Are you making sure to use the controllers in xinput mode only?
Ah! I think that did it! Just downloaded the 8Bitdo Firmware Updater. My SN30pro controller seemed to already be on V1.38, which is the most up to date version the software has. I had updated that a long time ago.

However, I didn't know that I could update the adapter as well. I plugged it in, and it kept saying I was at v0.00 when i updated, but I know it said the update to the latest firmware was successful.

I just ran seven different arcade cores in a row, and none of them made the BT disconnect. I think we're good?!
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Woohoo!

It seems like maybe the 8BitDo stuff is having more trouble with MiSTer than other brands -- of course, it could be that 8bitdo sells a lot of joysticks, so they show up disproportionately. I just had a problem with two buttons on my controller getting swapped in menu mode no matter what I did, and the only way I found to fix it was to delete the main input file and reboot. After a new config session, everything started working right.

Weird, right? And I keep seeing stuff *like* this, all related to 8bitdo devices. Mine is now working fine, but I had to fight with it.
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

Well, I hope this thread can be useful to other people in the future then. This brand is pretty popular with retro gamers, so I don't think I'll be the only one that has this weird problem that required what looks like a couple of things to ultimately fix.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

A few points regarding 8BitDo stuff, because I kinda feel like it:

1. Their 8BitDo adapter emulates a Generic XBox360 adapter. Anytime you pair anything with it, it will change the Product ID and Vendor ID of that to the adapter itself. Any special handling that MiSTer does based upon PID:VID is lost when you use some specific controllers with the 8BitDo adapter.

2. The 8BitDo controllers need to be started in X-Input mode to work properly with MiSTer in most cases. For the 8BitDo Pro 2 Wired edition this means holding the B button while you plug it in (frustratingly this is an undocumented feature, and it's annoying to have to do every single time, it's 8BitDo's fault for this stupid design). For the 8BitDo SN30 Pro 2 Wireless edition there is a switch on the back, set it to X. For the other 8BitDo controllers, typically you need to hold Start and X together to start it in X-Input mode (from then on, usually turning it on with the start button goes to the last mode it was in).

3. Their SN30's often have phantom d-pad inputs, this is known and is a design flaw they have never addressed despite repeated feedback and criticism for years.

4. Their controllers have widely varying input lag, in general they don't seem to have the best quality control or best design, are inconsistent. Their only saving grace is mostly aesthetic and some external build quality, but even that varies.

I'm saying all of this after having bought about 10 of their different controllers over the last couple years. The M30 is the best one I have by far, SN30 Pro 2 Wireless is decent, but could be better. And I still prefer my Sony DualSense by a wide margin.
birdybro~
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

Regarding X-Input, I've never set that, or even looked into it, for my MiSTer. I have no idea how my SN30 is connecting.

Do you guys think I should start using X-Input, or is the fact that it looks like I solved my arcade core problems mean that I shouldn't rock the boat?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If it's working, I probably wouldn't screw with it. The Linux layer, what actually drives the stick, is probably translating correctly for you.

If it screws up again and you have to do the remap dance anyway, then switching to XInput might make sense, if your stick stays in that mode. If you have to hold buttons on powerup every time, I wouldn't bother.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

aberu wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:02 pm ...
2. The 8BitDo controllers need to be started in X-Input mode to work properly with MiSTer in most cases. For the 8BitDo Pro 2 Wired edition this means holding the B button while you plug it in (frustratingly this is an undocumented feature, and it's annoying to have to do every single time, it's 8BitDo's fault for this stupid design) ...
This isn't true anymore with the latest beta firmware. Just plug it in and the controller will initialize correctly. No rumble support with MiSTer, however.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

I'll have to test that. For me wired works with rumble last I checked (I think) so something sounds off... You sure this was with this controller --> https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2-wired-controller/ ?
birdybro~
Vrikk

Unread post by Vrikk »

For my specific controller, it was the SNES-style SN30 with the grey brick retro adapter. Both bought separately.