Utterly confused about all the latest video options

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
AtomicShroom

Utterly confused about all the latest video options

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Hey everyone,

I’m utterly confused about all the latest new video mode options in the ini file.

I have a 4K TV hooked through HDMI. What should I be using?

Right now I’m using:

- 720p with 0.5 step integer scale (I’m not using 1080p because I’m not a fan of the cropping needed for 5x scale. I really don’t mind the slight black borders of 720p 4x scale)
- Vsync_adjust 1 with min 59hz and max 61hz.

Would I get any benefits to changing any of these? Would the new autodetect provide better results? Etc.

Thanks!
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Utterly confused about all the latest video options

Unread post by aberu »

I never use the min-max on my tv, but I have an LG G1 which is a lot more tolerant of non-standard refresh rates than most tv's. I just use this.

Code: Select all

vscale_mode=0
video_mode=8
vsync_adjust=2

[PSX]
vsync_adjust=0
With the new 256 Phase adaptive scanlines I don't see the need in rushing to use integer scaling. however, I have also been able to use:

Code: Select all

vscale_mode=4
video_mode=13
vsync_adjust=1

[PSX]
vsync_adjust=0
with my TV just fine. It just has more sync loss when switching between cores and resolutions.
birdybro~
AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

So you're telling me that with the adaptive scanline filters, we don't need to use integer scaling anymore?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If your TV can handle 1440p (video_mode=12) I find that can look real good on a 4K display, especially if you hate the 5x cropping. The extra horizontal resolution also makes for sharper non-integer scaling to maintain aspect ratio. This is a 4:3 resolution though (1920x1440) so some handhelds might be bordered. If you want them to fill top to bototm, you can set those few cores to 1080p (using [gba] and the like in mister.ini)

You don't need to use adaptive scanlines to enjoy smoother non-integer scanlines now, it applies to all scanline filters, using some kind of 10-bit mode or something.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try the new vscale_modes (4, 5, 6). This lowers the resolution from your video_mode to the next integer scale. So instead of the mister outputting 1440p with slightly uneven scanlines (with vscale_mode=0), you get 1344p with perfect integer scanlines, then it's up to your TV to upscale it the rest of the way to the top and bottom edge.
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

I haven’t played with these settings yet myself and I am in the same situation, LG 4K 120hz oled, where is the config file to edit these located?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

mister.ini in the root of your SD card. or you can run the ini_settings script.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

AtomicShroom wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:05 pm So you're telling me that with the adaptive scanline filters, we don't need to use integer scaling anymore?
That's how I feel yeah. I haven't noticed any issues in cores that have had their framework updated.
birdybro~
tecteam

Unread post by tecteam »

I’m using a old iPad screen a 22 fst crt and a Sony tv (pal) scart

So my uni and alts All Good however I’m unsure with my Sony 55 a90j 4k oled video mode 13 with vrr 2 would be my guess. Am I correct or do you suggest something different?