Can anyone make The Misadventures of Tron Bonne run on the PSX core?

Waifu4Life

Can anyone make The Misadventures of Tron Bonne run on the PSX core?

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

I have the Japanese version which I've dumped from my own disk, but it stays at the black screen after the Capcom logo. It's the only game I have that doesn't run.
Yim

Re: Can anyone make The Misadventures of Tron Bonne run on the PSX core?

Unread post by Yim »

I haven’t thoroughly tested my copy, dumped from my PAL disc, but it at least gets into gameplay. Dunno about the JP version, though.
Waifu4Life

Looks the new build didn't fix it :(
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

the_importer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:06 am I have the Japanese version which I've dumped from my own disk, but it stays at the black screen after the Capcom logo. It's the only game I have that doesn't run.
you probably made a bad rip, I've trided the jap version (redump from archive org) and it works fine for me
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

What's the name of the Japanese version?
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

might want to try a slower read speed, and potentially CRC32/MD5/SHA1 check your dump against a verified working file on: Redump - Tron Ni Kobun to make sure your dump is correct.

not sure if japanese games had any form of copy protection, i'd recommend google'ing it just to be sure.
Waifu4Life

MostroW wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:38 pm might want to try a slower read speed, and potentially CRC32/MD5/SHA1
Can I do this with IMGBURN?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

pgimeno wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:36 pm What's the name of the Japanese version?
Tron ni Kobun (トロンにコブン, Toron ni Kobun?, lit. "Tron and Henchmen"
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Just as verified ROM dumps are required for the cartridge based consoles, disc rips require the same level of precision and verification. It's the "downside" of FPGA being as close to real hardware as it is. It's not going to ignore slight imperfections the same as software emulation does. When all else fails, compare to a verified copy of the game such as from the Redump project. The archives are out there on the internet and will show you quickly if you've made an imperfect copy of your own disc. And considering things like disc rot are sadly a reality of optical discs, you could end up frustrated over something beyond your control.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

the_importer wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:50 pm Can I do this with IMGBURN?
I believe so, unless the disc has bad sectors as a copy protection, then you might want to fall back to other software.
I think i used Alcohol120% and Nero 4 or 5 back then which also featured skipping unreadable sectors if not mistaken.
BIN/CUE seems to be the preferred output format though i've done ISO as well in the starting days waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.
Waifu4Life

Well I used the dump from archive.org and it works. No clue with this is the only game that I've dumped (with 3 tries) that refused to work, but anyway, it's working great. I only have 67 PSX games, but they all work with the MiSTer core, so that's amazing. Only thing left now is 4 player Analog support and I'm all good.
held

Unread post by held »

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:01 pm Just as verified ROM dumps are required for the cartridge based consoles, disc rips require the same level of precision and verification. It's the "downside" of FPGA being as close to real hardware as it is. It's not going to ignore slight imperfections the same as software emulation does. When all else fails, compare to a verified copy of the game such as from the Redump project. The archives are out there on the internet and will show you quickly if you've made an imperfect copy of your own disc. And considering things like disc rot are sadly a reality of optical discs, you could end up frustrated over something beyond your control.
I totally agree, but I don't understand why data corruption has anything to do with "the downside of FPGA". Data is either correct or it is not, there is no middle ground. If I'm missing something, please elaborate.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

held wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:29 am I totally agree, but I don't understand why data corruption has anything to do with "the downside of FPGA". Data is either correct or it is not, there is no middle ground. If I'm missing something, please elaborate.
I'm referencing a difference between real hardware and standard software emulation. Software emulation can often ignore or work past small issues in the data. Not talking about a completely bad dump but imperfections. Real hardware has a much harder time working with data imperfections, if it can at all. For example, an imperfect ROM dump of Super Mario Bros may play fine on an emulator but could have glitching graphics on real hardware. It's similar to why an emulator can play a complicated hack or homebrew that won't run on actual hardware. They can behave differently or even perform beyond the original hardware. As FPGA recreations aim to have the same behavior as real hardware, it means it also has the same issues with reading past the imperfections. Some would view that as a downside rather than a benefit of FPGA.

Optical media has its own set of possible issues from ROM chips. Scratches obscuring the data layers underneath, improperly stored discs getting data rot, the reader's laser wearing out or out of alignment, there's lots of elements that can get in the way of a 100% correct rip from a disc. That's why I brought up that it may not be your fault or be something that you can fix. It depends on what elements are getting in the way of a proper rip. And that's why I recommended something like Redump that is already verified and done.
held

Unread post by held »

So basically emulation has some extra checks it can perform, thanks.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

More like less "checks" because it works anyway.