Trouble with 1080p Sync

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Reaperman

Trouble with 1080p Sync

Unread post by Reaperman »

I'm looking for some help getting the 1080p sync to be more compatible with my main monitor, and I'm running out of toys to try.

Symptom is that I can't get 1080p to sync consistently. Usually it blinks on for a very short time (half a second to maybe 5s) every minute or so, but every so often the worlds align and it fully syncs--until I pick a core and start over again. Currently I'm forcing 720p (with experimental settings on my alts), but I'd really like 1080p, since I don't like the monitor scaling if it doesn't have to.

Notes:
  • Monitor is a Benq w1070. MiSTer syncs fine to another device I tried @1080p default settings
  • this problem happens with video_mode 1080p/60 or 1080p50 (720p 60&50 both work)
  • I've tried vsync_adjust at 1, 2, and the default 0
  • I've tried setting refresh_min & refresh_max both at 60
  • I've even tried a beefier power supply, just in case
I've really only played with the ini, and those specific settings, and I figure this forum probably has a quick/easy answer for video compatibility woes. I'd never even opened the ini before the HDMI EDID mode detection update, so I'm pretty new at this, and don't know what setup quirks there are, if any.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Trouble with 1080p Sync

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If you're using HDMI, look into a CEC stripper, there's some other threads about this. Mister does some not-standard stuff with CEC that can cause highly random problems.
Reaperman

Re: Trouble with 1080p Sync

Unread post by Reaperman »

Firstly, thanks everybody, I did find a solution (kinda) but it was not the cec-less hdmi adapter. Today was my first chance to test to see if that plug also fixed me but it did not. I'm sure I'll find some use for this thing, though.

I replaced the HDMI cable and that fixed me. That part makes sense, but hold on, it really doesn't.

None of the other devices I've had hanging off of the 'bad' cable had sync trouble. I swap this cable a lot, it's in the 'hot seat' position for systems that aren't hooked up all the time.

But now it gets really stupid: after testing good on a new hdmi cable, I plugged that same cable into a nintendo switch, which also worked, and the plugged it back into MiSTer and it never worked on MiSTer at 1080p again. it was this cable that I tested the cec-less hdmi adapter on.

But anyway, (another!) new HDMI cable installed, and no, I'm not going to plug the nintendo switch into it to test my theory. I'm just going to say it's a "magical curse" and move on with my day. BTW, 5x scaling just rocks on the cores supporting it.

I'd debated not relating this crazy scenario beyond 'changed hdmi cable,' because my setup is probably just weird in some way, but I figured somebody may be googling the symptoms at some point in the future, and a new HDMI cable may help--even when it seemingly shouldn't.