SNAC issue with NES core

orange428

SNAC issue with NES core

Unread post by orange428 »

Hi, I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with my original OEM NES-004 controller with a SNAC adapter. It used to work fine but recently stopped working. I tried the controller in a real NES (NES-001) and it works fine, so the controller works on real hardware.

Some history.

I bought a SNAC adapter and the NES adapter maybe a year ago. It worked fine and didn't have any issues with it using the NES core.

I didn't use it for a while but eventually wanted to play some NES games so I hooked it all back up. I updated all the MiSTer software and the NES core. This time the controller didn't work with the SNAC.

I tried going back to the earlier versions but it didn't help. I tried to reset the NES settings, swap joysticks setting, made sure multitap/zapper was disabled, enable/reenable the SNAC. Save settings and reboot the core. Nothing helps.

I also tried different USB cabling as the SNAC adapter came with a short right-angle USB extension cable to reduce the strain on the USB port on the IO board. In the past I had the USB cable plugged directly into the IO board and the SNAC and NES adapter plugged into that. I've tried plugging the SNAC/NES into the IO board directly and not using an extension cable.

I ended up buying another SNAC and NES adapter from a different vendor. Same results.

I have a NES MAX (NES-027) controller that works fine on the SNAC. So I know the SNAC/NES adapters work. It just stopped working with my NES-004 controller.

I'm just confused as it used to work fine and it still works on real NES hardware.

I also took the controller apart and cleaned the PCB board and all the innards. Still doesn't work on either SNAC. Still works fine on a real NES.

Any ideas before I just buy another NES-004 controller?

Thanks!
PikWik

Re: SNAC issue with NES core

Unread post by PikWik »

i had a similar issue with a SNES controller.
i still have my 2 original SNES controllers from my first SNES console, and only one of the controllers works with the MiSTer via SNAC.
i tried everything you could think of, viewtopic.php?t=2114, but ultimately just bought a SFC controller off ebay, and it works fine with the MiSTer.

so, apparently the MiSTer is picky about what controllers you can use with SNAC.
(or, the SNAC firmware needs to be updated to handle a wider range of tolerance)
i have a set of NES/SNES/genesis/Atari adapters that work fine via SNAC with OEM controllers, but 1 of my original SNES controllers just does not work with SNAC.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

to add to the confusion and point again to the SNAC firmware needing an update -

my same SNES controller that doesnt work via SNAC on the MiSTer, works just fine with a daemonbite adapter on the MiSTer.
so, yeaahh, not sure whats going on with the MiSTer and SNAC. some OEM controllers work and others dont.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

It's definitely finicky. With the NES core, I've only been able to get one of my zappers to work and NES Advantage stick. None of the 5 OG controllers will work correctly on it.

As for SNES, I haven't had much issue outside of getting the Super Scope to work. I went through three receivers and two Scopes before I got a working combo. As for controllers, I finally got the 2.4ghz 8Bitdo controllers. So, those are now my mains. I was fortunate to have an OG SNES Console to test some of the hardware on. And, the Super Scope receivers were just as finicky.
orange428

Unread post by orange428 »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I agree it must just be really nit-picky. I think I'm going to get a Raphnet USB adapter for NES and see how that goes.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

So, I got the 8bito 2.4ghz NES Controllers in the other day. They work wonderfully via SNAC. I'm still waiting for the Daemonbyte adapters to show back up for sale (I'd make my own...but I like the housing he provides.) to just use them all via USB Fast Polling. As I do primarily just use the SNAC for Gun Games.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I had been periodically visiting the daemonbite shop, but I do not think it will be restocked any time soon. I would love to be wrong, though.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Looks like Retro Frog is getting into daemonbite compatible adapters.

https://twitter.com/ToddsNerdCave/statu ... 4385573889
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I wish I had found out about these issues before dropping $$ on SNAC stuff. :(
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

CMR wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:49 am I wish I had found out about these issues before dropping $$ on SNAC stuff. :(
SNAC on official addons have problems on NES and PCE controllers. I have fixed all on my DB9 splitters and the schematics for fixing are public. The issues are not noticed by any seller. For example in case of misteraddons the PCE issues are concealed as "untested".
d0atech

Unread post by d0atech »

It's been a while and no one posted the answer. I was having the same problem. But just found that if you go to Audio & Video, then to Audio Enable. And change it to Internal, the controller starts working. After that it magically works with no problem. You can even change back the Audio Enable option. Hope it helps.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

d0atech wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:38 am It's been a while and no one posted the answer. I was having the same problem. But just found that if you go to Audio & Video, then to Audio Enable. And change it to Internal, the controller starts working. After that it magically works with no problem. You can even change back the Audio Enable option. Hope it helps.
That's pretty interesting. Do you know what the different audio settings are for?
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I just wanted to say I got my NES controllers working by turning off the virtual zapper. I think someone mentioned this somewhere else on another forum, and I decided to give it a try. Out of an official NES controller, a chinese knock off, and a retrobit dogbone knock off only the chinese knock off I bought 10 to 15 years ago doesn't work.
rayman147

Unread post by rayman147 »

Hi Gang,

Thought I'd chime in here, as I noticed an issue today that I had not seen before. I have MisterAddOns SNAC NES adapter and have happily used it for Zapper games without a single issue on my CRT. Today I had some friends over and loaded up Duck Hunt, and whenever I had SNAC Zapper enabled (same settings I've used successfully - without issue - for a long time), the duck/ducks were always flying to the right.

It was as if enabling SNAC triggered a phantom 2nd joypad that had the right input on the d-pad pressed (which controls the ducks). So, Zapper worked fine but the duck/s always flew directly to the right, removing any challenge - bummer for my party. I tried toggling all the settings I could to see if I could resolve it - to no avail.

I wonder if I just got a bad build from update_all or if anyone else can confirm the behavior... I will wait until the next update to the core and if that doesn't fix it I'll delete and re-install.

I can play other games like Wild Gunman (which I ended up switching to), etc... where external controller input doesn't affect the gameplay, and the Zapper works and is accurate, tracks, etc... without a problem. It seems to be some sort of input noise with SNAC. If I disable SNAC, the ducks randomly fly around correctly (but, of course, then I can't use the zapper). If anyone cares to try and reproduce with the latest build(s) I'd be curious.
anderse77

Unread post by anderse77 »

Can we find anything to identify which controllers work with SNAC on NES core and which does not? It must be something different with the controllers that work?

Has anyone created an issue on the github page?
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

I think the problems might be related to the SNAC sellers using poor quality Chinese usb3 plugs from LCSC. I built my own and used quality components from Mouser (523-GSB416445CHR) and have had zero issues.
anderse77

So what do those of us who does not have the knowledge to build circuits do to solve our problems?

I bought mine adpaters from https://misterfpga.co.uk. The snac adapter works perectly with SNES and with zapper.

And also, why is it just the nes core that have these problems?

annette

Unread post by annette »

NES controllers can have issue on original hardware.

https://tetrissuomi.wordpress.com/engli ... atibility/

For information my original NES-004E works perfect okay on latest NES core when connect with SNAC.
anderse77

C-R-T wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:22 am I think the problems might be related to the SNAC sellers using poor quality Chinese usb3 plugs from LCSC. I built my own and used quality components from Mouser (523-GSB416445CHR) and have had zero issues.
Zero issues with how many and what kind of NES controllers on the NES core?
anderse77

annette wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:54 am NES controllers can have issue on original hardware.

https://tetrissuomi.wordpress.com/engli ... atibility/

For information my original NES-004E works perfect okay on latest NES core when connect with SNAC.
Where did you buy your SNAC and adapters?
annette

Unread post by annette »

anderse77 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:28 am

I bought mine adpaters from https://misterfpga.co.uk.

anderse77 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Where did you buy your SNAC and adapters?

Same shop

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Aftermarket controller ports can also be junk. I put together a demonbite adapter using a cheap controller extension cable off ebay, and couldn't get it to work after several tries. Finally I swapped it out with a real controller port for the nes I got off ebay and it works perfectly. These might also be a problem with some snac adapters.
naylord

Unread post by naylord »

I got the cheapest possible SNAC adapter off of aliexpress and so far zero problems with my OG controller and zapper. Though it's frustratingly tight and I worry I'll rip it apart whenever I want to switch from a gamepad to a zapper. I think I'll have to sand the inside down or something.

catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

Just found this thread, now I´m having issues with SNAC in NES core, but months ago it was working perfectly. Nothing changed by my side, just core updates for mister

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

catenaccio wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:28 pm

Just found this thread, now I´m having issues with SNAC in NES core, but months ago it was working perfectly. Nothing changed by my side, just core updates for mister

Check and make sure the mouse isn't enabled for the zapper. This gave me problems with the SNAC output.

catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

CMR wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:28 am

Check and make sure the mouse isn't enabled for the zapper. This gave me problems with the SNAC output.

Yes, tried everything, still the same. NES SNAC not working anymore

EDIT: Tried with a different NES controller and it is working fine. Both are original controllers, maybe first one it is faulty, but it is working in original NES console

CMR

Unread post by CMR »

catenaccio wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:59 am
CMR wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:28 am

Yes, tried everything, still the same. NES SNAC not working anymore

EDIT: Tried with a different NES controller and it is working fine. Both are original controllers, maybe first one it is faulty, but it is working in original NES console

There have been reports of some controllers that don't work. I have a chinese clone controller that doesn't work with SNAC, but works perfectly in my NES.