IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Xbytez
Site Admin

IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Unread post by Xbytez »

Implemention of the Irem M72 & M84 arcade hardware for the MiSTer FPGA platform.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-IremM72_MiSTer

Current Supported Games

MiSTer_FPGA__M72_M84_Core.png
MiSTer_FPGA__M72_M84_Core.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 8144 times
dh3lix-pooch

Re: IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Unread post by dh3lix-pooch »

WOW! ... Thx for the headsup .. This is EPIC news! 🔫
Grimspoon

Re: IREM M72 & M84 Core (R-Type, R-Type II, Image Fight, Ninja Spirit, Gallop : Armed Police Unit)

Unread post by Grimspoon »

Absolutely lovely!!! Can't wait!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

Seriously this is one of my favorite games ever. I don't think i will be able to sleep tonight :D
Epic news indeed!!
Jeruro

Unread post by Jeruro »

Really good games for M72! A dream come true!
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Yeahhhhh!
molekula
Core Developer

Unread post by molekula »

lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I really can't get my head around what's happening this week on the arcade front :)
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Now I am completely speechless! Super awesome news!! :D

It does look like Christmas back in the 80's when I was a very happy boy :mrgreen:
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Looks like R-Type is currently being worked on!!

Let There Be Sound!

GitHub:

https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m72

Please be aware the IREM M72 core is a work in progress, and still being developed.
syltefar

Unread post by syltefar »

Wow! I just played through the first level of this, my favourite arcade game! I'm so excited for this core. Martin is awesome!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Can somebody please advise on a good filter for this awesome game?

Thanks!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:47 pm Can somebody please advise on a good filter for this awesome game?

Thanks!
Try display specific Sony Triniton 1968, I always found this a good filter for 80s arcade games.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:47 pm Can somebody please advise on a good filter for this awesome game?

Thanks!
Preset_for_Alkadian.zip
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Of course this is dependent on your display make and settings, but please give it a go :)

NB: the gamma filter doesn't do much, so you can safely turn it off
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanks!
Try display specific Sony Triniton 1968, I always found this a good filter for 80s arcade games.
That's great, thanks. I will check that out!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:53 pm

Thanks!
Preset_for_Alkadian.zip

Of course this is dependent on your display make and settings, but please give it a go :)

NB: the gamma filter doesn't do much, so you can safely turn it off
Fantastic! That was so kind of you. Much appreciated!
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Looks like the R-Type core is now in beta:

GitHub:

https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... n/releases
Koston

Unread post by Koston »

PSA: A recent change in the core adopts recommended DIP switch settings from the R-Type arcade operator's manual, making the default difficulty DIFFICULT instead of NORMAL. This makes the game insidiously hard and most people will probably want to set it to NORMAL instead.
MJWx209

Unread post by MJWx209 »

I have quick question here. So I downloaded the .mra and .rbf files from https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... n/releases.
I put the .mra in my /media/fat/_Arcade folder and the .rbf files in the /media/fat/_Arcade/cores. I than ran the update_all script to get the right roms. However, I checked the roms directory and those roms didn't download and if I try to load R-type (Japan) or R-Type (World) it just stays on the main menu. My update_all does not have unofficial updaters enabled. Does that need to be turned on? Do I need to do a full cold boot after putting the .mra and .rbf files in their spots and then running update_all?

MJWx
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

You can download the ROMs yourself and put them in /media/fat/_Arcade/mame

They are in archive.org, but we can't provide a link, you'll have to search for a merged set. Look in the MRA the name of the zipfiles required and look for them there. The zipfiles are specified in an attribute that says zip="<name of the zip file>". In this case it's rtype.zip for both.
MJWx209

Unread post by MJWx209 »

Thanks for the info pgimeno. I had read over on a YouTube discription (HamsoloPlays) that running the update_all would grab the required roms. Appreciate you showing me how to look at the MRA to find out what I need.

MJWX
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@MJWx209
Are you sure you have mame getter and hbmame getter enabled?
I ran the update all script on Saturday and the rom was downloaded.
marquisor

Unread post by marquisor »

MJWx209 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 am So I downloaded the .mra and .rbf files from https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... n/releases.
I put the .mra in my /media/fat/_Arcade folder and the .rbf files in the /media/fat/_Arcade/cores. I than ran the update_all script to get the right roms.
MJWx
Hello there!
Not sure if it helps, but I've also got problems not downloading the ROMs and at start nothing happens.
My mistake was I did not save the .mra files correctly, they were all in XML/HTML format size >300 kB.
I had to view the .mra files RAW in my webbrowser and then save them. They only have around 3-4 kB in size.

Doing so and putting the .mras and .rbf where they belong (you've did that right) and running the update_all.sh script it fetched the ROMs and set the right associations to the M72 core, too

Code: Select all

STARTING: MAME-GETTER

Performing an incremental update.
NOTE: Remove following file if you wish to force a full update.                                                                           
/media/fat/Scripts/.config/mame-getter/last_run
Found 5 new MRAs that may require new roms.

Skipping MAME files that already exist

Downloading ROMs to /media/fat/games/mame - Be Patient!!!

MRA: /media/fat/_Arcade/_alternatives/R-Type (Japan prototype).mra
ZIP: rtype.zip (Ver 0226)
MAME version not listed in MRA or there is no download source for the version, downloading from .245 set
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100 1834k  100 1834k    0     0   646k      0  0:00:02  0:00:02 --:--:-- 1408k

SUCCESS!

---

Organizing 5 MRAs.

MRA                                          Core       Year Manufactu. Category
################################################################################
R-Type (Japan prototype).mra                 M72        9999
R-Type (Japan).mra                           M72        9999
R-Type (US).mra                              M72        9999
R-Type (World bootleg).mra                   M72        9999
R-Type (World bootleg).mra                   M72        9999
################################################################################
2.0 ver. by theypsilon
Regards
maq
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

You should check the MRA and rbfs to make sure when you downloaded them it actually downloaded the correct thing. Github uses various 'redirect' pages and we've had multiple instances where that's what people ended up downloading instead of the actual files.
MJWx209

Unread post by MJWx209 »

Yes! This was the issue. The MRA files were not right when I got them from github. After just copying and pasting in, they worked correctly and the update_all got the required rom. Thanks for the help!

MJWX
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You can do it without copy and paste: when the contents of the mra is displayed you will see several buttons on the right side of the screen. One is Raw, just right click on it and select Save as.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Not sure how I missed this addition to the M72 core, but Martin Donlon @wickerwaka has added Gallop : Armed Police Unit to his IREM M72 Core.

Commit here:
https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m7 ... 418fbf3902

IREM M72 Core GitHub:
https://github.com/wickerwaka/Arcade_m72

Gallop Armed Police Unit.png
Gallop Armed Police Unit.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 10067 times
M72 Gallop Armed Police Unit.png
M72 Gallop Armed Police Unit.png (20.55 KiB) Viewed 10067 times
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

You'll need to grab the 'Gallop' and 'Cosmic Cop' MAME roms, then Line 22 in the Gallop MRA needs to be changed to the following to work correctly:

Code: Select all

<rom index="0" zip="gallop.zip|cosmccop.zip" md5="none">
I would correct this, but I'm not sure how to contribute in GitHub. :shock:
astro_ZOMBIE138

Unread post by astro_ZOMBIE138 »

I think I'm installing this correctly but I'm fairly new to the Mister scene. Using it on a jamma cabinet. I placed the rba file into the core folder and mra files into my main _Arcade folder where the others are found. I also placed the zipped roms into my mame directory under games where the rest of my roms are located. Do I need additional files for this to work? Do I need a single rba file or multiple from the release, and if so which ones?I typically get an error that it cannot find rtype.zip/rt_b-b3.3f. It also suffers from crazy scrolling when launched but I can staballize that by changing the refresh. Every other arcade core works fine without issue.
astro_ZOMBIE138

Unread post by astro_ZOMBIE138 »

astro_ZOMBIE138 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:50 pm I think I'm installing this correctly but I'm fairly new to the Mister scene. Using it on a jamma cabinet. I placed the rba file into the core folder and mra files into my main _Arcade folder where the others are found. I also placed the zipped roms into my mame directory under games where the rest of my roms are located. Do I need additional files for this to work? Do I need a single rba file or multiple from the release, and if so which ones?I typically get an error that it cannot find rtype.zip/rt_b-b3.3f. It also suffers from crazy scrolling when launched but I can staballize that by changing the refresh. Every other arcade core works fine without issue.
Nevermind I got them working. I think it was the Mame set I was trying to use.