SMB/CIFS mount and issues with _arcade_organizer.sh script

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
rayden7

SMB/CIFS mount and issues with _arcade_organizer.sh script

Unread post by rayden7 »

Hey all, I have all my ROMs setup on my NAS using a CIFS mount, and so far this has been working really well. I did notice an issue a while ago though with the update_all script, and specifically the "Arcade Organizer" section after I switched from using the SD card to hold all the ROMs to using a CIFS mount, I was constantly seeing errors like this:

Code: Select all

Organizing 2114 MRAs.

MRA                                          Core       Year Manufactu. Category
################################################################################
1941- Counter Attack (JP).mra                jtcps1     1990 Capcom     Shooter 
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 1178, in <module>
    run()
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 1174, in run
    ao.organize_all_mras()
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 1136, in organize_all_mras
    self.organize_single_mra(mra)
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 754, in organize_single_mra
    self.create_region()
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 885, in create_region
    self.impl_create_single_link('REGION_DIR', 'region', 'ORGDIR_Region')
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 875, in impl_create_single_link
    self.create_symlink("%s/_%s/" % (self._config[orgdir], self._description[description_field]))
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 854, in create_symlink
    self._infra.make_symlink(self._mra_path, self._basename_mra, directory)
  File "/tmp/_arcade-organizer.sh", line 353, in make_symlink
    os.symlink(src, dst)
OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/media/fat/_Arcade/_alternatives/_1941 Counter Attack/1941  Counter Attack -Japan-.mra' -> '/media/fat/_Arcade/_Organized/_2 Region/_Japan/1941- Counter Attack (JP).mra'
FINISHED: _ARCADE-ORGANIZER
It appeared that the script was having trouble creating the symlinks in the "/_Arcade/_Organized" and "/_Arcade/_alternatives/" directories, and when I read the GitHub page for https://github.com/theypsilon/_arcade-organizer, the README.md seemed to be reporting that the script wouldn't work creating symlinks if you mount the SD card outside of your MiSTer (and perhaps presumably if you mount all your ROMs on a CIFS mount?). But I found a configuration option you can add to your cifs_mount.ini that will make the Arcade Organizer section of the update_all script work, even with your ROMs hosted on an SMB/CIFS mount (mine is on a QNAP NAS).

In your cifs_mount.ini, add "mfsymlinks" to the "ADDITIONAL_MOUNT_OPTIONS" parameter:

#Optional additional mount options, when in doubt leave blank.
#If you have problems not related to username/password, you can try "vers=2.0" or "vers=3.0".
ADDITIONAL_MOUNT_OPTIONS="mfsymlinks"
Adding that parameter, cold rebooting my MiSTer and then re-running the "update_all" script worked and all the correct organized arcade symlinks were created perfectly. Hope this helps somebody else!
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: SMB/CIFS mount and issues with _arcade_organizer.sh script

Unread post by Malor »

Out of interest, are you actually hosting the files on Windows? In reading about mfsymlinks, I'm a little confused about whether they're needed on an SMB3 connection to a ZFS store. I haven't been seeing any errors, so it may not be needed for my setup, but I'm curious.
rayden7

Unread post by rayden7 »

All my ROMs are on a QNAP NAS, so it's a Linux based machine, and a CIFS mount. I don't think I'd change anything about your particular setup if you're not getting any errors and your Arcade directory seems to have all the "Organized" shortcuts.

On my setup I was missing all the symlinks for the organized arcade cores and I was consistently getting the error I mentioned, but adding that single parameter to the "ADDITIONAL_MOUNT_OPTIONS" portion of the cifs_mount.ini made everything work just fine.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

It's been working perfectly for me. My only mount option is "vers=3.11". The server is a Ubuntu host running a self-configured Samba, hitting a ZFS share. It's been very comfortable.
ArinoCX

Unread post by ArinoCX »

Sorry to drag up this thread but I have an issue very similar.

I'm using cifs_mount with a NAS. Everything is working apart from when Arcade Organiser runs, it does not create the symlinks for the .mra files into the _Organised directory.

I'm getting 6000 lines of errors in the Arcade Organiser Issues.log (for each mra):

Line 369 || [Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/media/fat/_Arcade/_Jotego/_CPS1/_Alternatives/_1941/1941  Counter Attack -Japan-.mra' -> '/media/fat/_Arcade/_Organized/_1 0-9/1941- Counter Attack (JP).mra' (/media/fat/_Arcade/_Jotego/_CPS1/_Alternatives/_1941/1941  Counter Attack -Japan-.mra)

Permissions are good, I've used the ADDITIONAL_MOUNT_OPTIONS="mfsymlinks" described above

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

EDIT - fixed by making sure .mra files were on the SD....