Menu OK/Cancel start out reversed, fixed on reboot

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
SmokyBarnable

Menu OK/Cancel start out reversed, fixed on reboot

Unread post by SmokyBarnable »

I've configured a wired PS4 controller, with X (B) as Menu OK and O (A) as Menu Cancel. When the MiSTer first powers on those will be reversed but after a warm boot they will be correct. Everything else seems to be working as expected. Ran the gamepad input test and they were mapped correctly each time.

Am I missing something obvious?
Wave

Re: Menu OK/Cancel start out reversed, fixed on reboot

Unread post by Wave »

This probably isn't it, but you don't have a BlisSTer, do you? There was a bug for some users where buttons would get rotated on boot; the last firmware update fixed it.
she/her
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I had a similar problem with the 8BitDo Pro 2, but in reverse; immediately after redefining the Menu OK and Menu Cancel buttons, they would work, but after a reboot, they switched.

The only fix I found was to drop to console with F9, type "rm /media/fat/config/MENU.CFG", and then type "reboot". After the Mister came back up, redefining all the keys and buttons again worked correctly. Note that this will erase all your base input settings (not per-game, just the basic settings for the menu), so if you've got a really intricate config, it may be too painful to use this workaround.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but it's hard enough to trigger that fixing it will be tough.
SmokyBarnable

I'll try the MENU.CFG bit and hope for the best. Thanks.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I just discovered one reason this can happen: if your /media/fat/config directory is on external storage or a Samba share, on cold reset, it may not be available yet for reading, so you'll end up with default settings.

After the drive mounts or the fileshare comes online, a warm reboot will read the file, and Mister will configure itself properly. Thus, you can get quite different results from cold versus warm reboots.

My lesson learned: keep the config directory on the same filesystem where the Mister binary lives, so that it's there 100% of the time. This will almost always be the local SD, unless you're doing something advanced.
SmokyBarnable

I think you nailed it....my config is on a CIFS share, so isn't there yet. I'll move it back.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Great troubleshooting!!
she/her