Mr. Gimmick some graphics missing

MiSTerDolch

Mr. Gimmick some graphics missing

Unread post by MiSTerDolch »

Wondering if anyone else can test the Mr. Gimmick (Europe) .nes rom and see if the bottom "stats" screen is messed up like mine?

Here's a screenshot of what it should look like:
267026-mr-gimmick-nes-screenshot-a-cannon-ball-is-about-to-land-on.png
267026-mr-gimmick-nes-screenshot-a-cannon-ball-is-about-to-land-on.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
And you can see mine at the bottom where it shows the score, inventory items, ect is all messed up:
NODATE-Mr. Gimmick (Europe)_0001.png
NODATE-Mr. Gimmick (Europe)_0001.png (216.99 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
I've read some versions used a special chip, I checked the "mapper" section of this forum but didn't see this game listed, does it look like a mapper issue?:
Regional differences
The original Japanese version uses an extra mapper chip (Sunsoft 5B) with audio hardware used only in this game, providing extra sound channels for the music. The PAL release doesn't feature this chip, and instead has the music modified to use the base NES sound hardware.

The PAL release is still highly unusual in that it also uses a custom mapper chip called the Sunsoft FME-7. This chip is the same as the Sunsoft 5B but without the sound hardware. It is unusual because Nintendo didn't normally allow developers to use custom mapper chips in western releases, instead requiring them to reprogram their games for Nintendo's own MMC mappers. This is because Nintendo manufactured all cartridges in the west. Mr. Gimmick and Batman: Return of the Joker (which uses the same FME-7 mapper chip) are the only two official western NES releases to use custom mapper chips.
source: https://www.mobygames.com/game/mr-gimmick
My MiSTer Dolch Pac:
viewtopic.php?p=54090#p54090
MorkMikael

Re: Mr. Gimmick some graphics missing

Unread post by MorkMikael »

your most likely running the pal game at 60hz and its made for 50hz.
MiSTerDolch

Thanks! Didn't even occur to me
My MiSTer Dolch Pac:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Heh...what a brilliant little game. And people say that Euro platformers suck...
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

akeley wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:32 pm Heh...what a brilliant little game. And people say that Euro platformers suck...
It's a Japanese game. It was released in PAL regions but not North America.

There are ways of playing it in both 60 Hz and English. There's a US prototype, and there's at least one ROM hack/patch available.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Ah...Gimmick! That makes sense, it does feel very Japanese. Absolutely cracking gameplay, max cuteness, superb gfx/sfx - though hard as nails.

I don't think there's much text in it, if any, so I'll stick with the JP version.
MiSTerDolch

jlancaster86 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:40 pm
akeley wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:32 pm Heh...what a brilliant little game. And people say that Euro platformers suck...
It's a Japanese game. It was released in PAL regions but not North America.

There are ways of playing it in bith 60 Hz and English. There's a US prototype, and there's at least one ROM hack/patch available.
I wonder if the prototype is the full game? If so I'll play that, if not, the Japanese version I guess.
My MiSTer Dolch Pac:
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

Use this patch to translate the title screen of the Japanese version to English.
MiSTerDolch

MorkMikael wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:32 pm your most likely running the pal game at 60hz and its made for 50hz.
You nailed it, thanks again! I played through the Japanese version last night without a hitch.
My MiSTer Dolch Pac: