D-Pad 'quitting' on Retrobit wireless Sega Saturn controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

D-Pad 'quitting' on Retrobit wireless Sega Saturn controller

Unread post by seastalker »

Finally have some time to really dig into Mister again. I have many controllers to choose from but love the Saturn pad design the best. When using the Retrobit 2.4gh wireless Saturn controller, nearly every time now, I can map it in Mister to anything and I'm playing for a bit, and then the D-PAD stops working! I can punch, kick and jump etc via the action buttons but my player stops moving.

Solutions thus far has been pausing the game if I can (credits screen in Jotego's arcade cores for example) and unplugging the usb dongle and reinserting it. Still, I often have to remap in game controls as if it is a new controller.

Has anyone else had this problem of 'D-Pad ONLY' quitting and have solutions for this? I don't do PC emulators to test the controller dongle elsewhere but I may test the same controller on an actual Saturn or Genesis with the other console adapters to see if it is the controller, dongle, or Mister.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
MorkMikael

Re: D-Pad 'quitting' on Retrobit wireless Sega Saturn controller

Unread post by MorkMikael »

i think there's newer firmware for the dongle at https://retro-bit.com/controllers-support. use this at your own risk.
try pressing the A button after launching a core.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Check your manual, the controller supports at least D-input and X-input, which would be recognized as different controllers by Mister with different mappings. One big difference there is that x-input pushes out analog stick positions instead of a d-pad on d-input. Supposedly there is a blue vs red LED to let you know which mode you are in.
Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

I was thinking of buying one of these (Bluetooth version). How's the input lag? Also, which is the best BT USB Dongle to use with it?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The d-pad on my retrobit bluetooth saturn literally broke after half a year. I went to look online about how common this was and found people breaking not only their d-pads but also the bumpers. Although 8bitdo's stuff isn't bulletproof either, I would suggest their M30 instead, it's lasted me longer. The 2.4ghz USB version has exceptionally low lag too, particularly when wired, although the bluetooth one isn't too bad if you want that extra versatility.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

I’m not certain off the top of my head, but if you hit start and a dpad direction .. even by accident .. it changes a profile, I think it can store four. Next time it happens hold start and press each dpad direction to see if you can find the correct one.
raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:27 pm I was thinking of buying one of these (Bluetooth version). How's the input lag? Also, which is the best BT USB Dongle to use with it?
I wouldn't recommend buying this. Im not sure if i had the worst luck, but i had 3 faulty examples, albeit 2,4 ghz versions. Two with faulty home-buttons and one with faulty led. And the home-button failed on that one too a few days later. No response ever from manufacturer. Fortunately got my money back from retailer but what a hassle.

The controller feels very cheap and buttons felt different on every example. I then bought the 8BitDo M30 and it's so much better.
Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

Press start and dpad left which sets to the default poweron dpad setting. You may be triggering the macro to change the dpad with start + direction, switching dpad to another input. The patches linked above fix it I think.
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

Thank you for the replies. I'll see if I can test if some macro or setting is being triggered. I don't suspect hardware failure, especially in that I can easily reset the controller and the D-Pad works fine again. I have to watch the buttons I'm hitting when this drop out occurs. It's obviously not fun to have to stop gameplay to reconfigure controllers. Thanks for the suggestions.
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Most of the cost went into paying SEGA for the licence, get the 8BitDo M30 2.4GHz controllers instead.
AdamM

Unread post by AdamM »

This controller is okay, my 2.4GHz version has no real issues, but when I play games I'm super familiar with I notice some delay. Like Sonic games for example, I can tell he's jumping slightly late when I hit a face button. Unfortunate for something that's meant to be better than Bluetooth - my 8bitdo BT SNES pad is more responsive. Plus this Retrobit does not switch to wired mode if you plug it in. It just charges and continues to transmit wirelessly.