tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
salamantecas

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by salamantecas »

The lion's roar feels powerful after flashing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Ok I must be doing soemthing wrong

I connect to the Mister and run the first command and dont get a test picture I just get a bright white screen.

/root# wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaks ... staller.sh -O - | bash -s -- TEST-ILI9341
--2022-06-28 17:45:21-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaks ... staller.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com... 185.199.111.133, 185.199.108.133, 185.199.110.133, ...
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com|185.199.111.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6639 (6.5K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'STDOUT'

- 100%[===================>] 6.48K --.-KB/s in 0.004s

2022-06-28 17:45:22 (1.71 MB/s) - written to stdout [6639/6639]

Checking for device at /dev/ttyUSB0: available
Trying to identify device... 1st Test of your setup
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325194376182 ... SwQeRihP8E
and Uno is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193739519590 ... 2749.l2649

Any ideas ?
salamantecas

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 pm Ok I must be doing soemthing wrong

I connect to the Mister and run the first command and dont get a test picture I just get a bright white screen.

/root# wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaks ... staller.sh -O - | bash -s -- TEST-ILI9341
--2022-06-28 17:45:21-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaks ... staller.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com... 185.199.111.133, 185.199.108.133, 185.199.110.133, ...
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com|185.199.111.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6639 (6.5K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'STDOUT'

- 100%[===================>] 6.48K --.-KB/s in 0.004s

2022-06-28 17:45:22 (1.71 MB/s) - written to stdout [6639/6639]

Checking for device at /dev/ttyUSB0: available
Trying to identify device... 1st Test of your setup

Screen is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325194376182 ... SwQeRihP8E
and Uno is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193739519590 ... 2749.l2649

Any ideas ?
just out of curiosity... I understand that you made the 3 corresponding solders on the UNO R32 board.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Hi all. I threw together a small enclosure that can be used to house the 3.5" TFT screens and posted it to the Printables website in case anyone else wants to print one. I kept it the same style as my MiSTer case so that it would match. It's a two piece box that snaps together, but ideally would be secured by two screws from the bottom going into threaded inserts in the top piece. There is a space in the back for a fan. The WeMOS board has 5V and GND pins that you can solder the fan leads to. I've designed it for a 5V Noctua fan that is very quiet and has low power draw, but you could probably use others. Eventually I will probably incorporate the TFT screen into my case to replace the OLED one, but for now I think the two look pretty good together. :D

MiSTer.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 pm Ok I must be doing soemthing wrong

Just re-checked for myself, but command is working and screen shows it's gfx demo after flashing.
Please double check that display is really an ILI9341 and, as @Salamantecas already mentioned, that the "three wire fix" is placed without shortages or bad/missing contacts.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
salamantecas

OnCor wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 am Hi all. I threw together a small enclosure that can be used to house the 3.5" TFT screens and posted it to the Printables website in case anyone else wants to print one. I kept it the same style as my MiSTer case so that it would match. It's a two piece box that snaps together, but ideally would be secured by two screws from the bottom going into threaded inserts in the top piece. There is a space in the back for a fan. The WeMOS board has 5V and GND pins that you can solder the fan leads to. I've designed it for a 5V Noctua fan that is very quiet and has low power draw, but you could probably use others. Eventually I will probably incorporate the TFT screen into my case to replace the OLED one, but for now I think the two look pretty good together. :D

MiSTer.JPG
It has been super clean and very very beautiful, thanks for thinking about 3.5 screens and for sharing it. Do you have the background image of the menu at hand? I think you hung it up but I still missed picking it up

a greeting
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Thanks salamantecas and Real Larry

Yes I had missed the soldering of the wires. It works alot better when you follow the instructions. I have my test screen displayed

Thanks
RealLarry
Top Contributor

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:55 am Thanks salamantecas and Real Larry

Yes I had missed the soldering of the wires. It works alot better when you follow the instructions. I have my test screen displayed

Thanks
Congrats! Then tell me the MAC address of your ESP by PM and you can continue setting up tty2tft...
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

salamantecas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 am
OnCor wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 am Hi all. I threw together a small enclosure that can be used to house the 3.5" TFT screens and posted it to the Printables website in case anyone else wants to print one. I kept it the same style as my MiSTer case so that it would match. It's a two piece box that snaps together, but ideally would be secured by two screws from the bottom going into threaded inserts in the top piece. There is a space in the back for a fan. The WeMOS board has 5V and GND pins that you can solder the fan leads to. I've designed it for a 5V Noctua fan that is very quiet and has low power draw, but you could probably use others. Eventually I will probably incorporate the TFT screen into my case to replace the OLED one, but for now I think the two look pretty good together. :D

MiSTer.JPG
It has been super clean and very very beautiful, thanks for thinking about 3.5 screens and for sharing it. Do you have the background image of the menu at hand? I think you hung it up but I still missed picking it up

a greeting
Thank you for the kind words. :) Here is that background image:
menu.jpg
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Since no other errors, discrepancies or feature requests have been reported, I hereby set this to feature freeze. No more closed beta testers needed. Thanks to all participants!
Plan is to release this project as open when tty2oled installations have reached 300 (currently ~270).
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Let‘s go tty2oled :mrgreen:

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

michelefornasini

Unread post by michelefornasini »

Hi Larry, I have just assembled the display and made the changes, I am waiting for the possibility to send you the MAC address

With regard,

Michele
RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:11 pm Hi Larry, I have just assembled the display and made the changes, I am waiting for the possibility to send you the MAC address

With regard,

Michele
...PM sent...
marcopolo316

Unread post by marcopolo316 »

How integral is the screensaver? I turned mine off as I found it buggy atm, if it showed the core image and moved position I’d leave it, but I’d get mostly black screen and only sometimes the core image or mister image. Is this normal behaviour and perhaps my settings could be optimised?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

marcopolo316 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:45 pm How integral is the screensaver? I turned mine off as I found it buggy atm, if it showed the core image and moved position I’d leave it, but I’d get mostly black screen and only sometimes the core image or mister image. Is this normal behaviour and perhaps my settings could be optimised?
Looks like that the clock's pictures are missing. Screesaver should work as clock -> core image -> mister logo (in random order). That would explain the black screen (=something is missing). Take clock's images from here.
I also see that my gdrive folder is messed up and need to revamped.
marcopolo316

Unread post by marcopolo316 »

RealLarry wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:10 pm
marcopolo316 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:45 pm How integral is the screensaver? I turned mine off as I found it buggy atm, if it showed the core image and moved position I’d leave it, but I’d get mostly black screen and only sometimes the core image or mister image. Is this normal behaviour and perhaps my settings could be optimised?
Looks like that the clock's pictures are missing. Screesaver should work as clock -> core image -> mister logo (in random order). That would explain the black screen (=something is missing). Take clock's images from here.
I also see that my gdrive folder is messed up and need to revamped.
Cheers thank you! I rarely have my mister connected to Ethernet for the clock and have no RTC. Any way to forgo the clock as part of the screensaver sequence?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

marcopolo316 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pmAny way to forgo the clock as part of the screensaver sequence?
I see...not yet possible, but I'll add an option for "those without a time" ;)
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

marcopolo316 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm Cheers thank you! I rarely have my mister connected to Ethernet for the clock and have no RTC. Any way to forgo the clock as part of the screensaver sequence?
I'm in the same situation. Unfortunately the clock always has the wrong time on my MiSTer. :(
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220708

- switchable clock for those without RTC nor permanent internet connection (=no current time displayable)

Extract or transfer the content of the attachment to your SD. It contains a static logo of tty2tft which will be displayed instead of the current time. To turn off the clock, you have to set the new option SCREENSAVER_CLOCK="no" in your tty2tft-user.ini
michelefornasini

Unread post by michelefornasini »

I ask a question perhaps as an inexperienced person. I have correctly configured the display and you are spinning as it should, in the wifi.txt file I have entered the access data to my wireless network. In order to access the display via filezila (to be able to manage folders and files without removing the SD card), which parameters should I use?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:03 am I ask a question perhaps as an inexperienced person. I have correctly configured the display and you are spinning as it should, in the wifi.txt file I have entered the access data to my wireless network. In order to access the display via filezila (to be able to manage folders and files without removing the SD card), which parameters should I use?
FileZilla's parameter are as any other FTP connection and consists of an IP address (or FQDN) of the destination, port (usually 21), username and password (if required) and special settings if needed. For ttfytft username and password is "esp32" (without quotes), the special setting here has to be "parallel connections" to "1". Have a look to my docs also.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220710

- New option: SCREENSAVER_MOVE (default "yes"). Set to "no" to show clock and pictures centered only
The clock isn't really centered and is sitting some pixel to the left, I was tired to do pixel shifting with extra if/then/else clauses. Will be beautified later :)
warham

Unread post by warham »

so far so good. any chance of going full screen on the clock and core image? this is as big as im able to get it with your current padding.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

warham wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 pm

so far so good. any chance of going full screen on the clock and core image? this is as big as im able to get it with your current padding.

For the next update in the next days, I'll set the background pictures to fullsize if SCREENSAVER_MOVE is set to "no" which makes more sense. No plans for the clock. This can be edited/changed by user when code will be open. Templates attached.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220713

- Update to ESP32 framework v2.4
- Update to esptool v3.3
- Increase wait-for-WiFi to 250ms
- Rewrite of screensaver's graphical clock

You'll need to exchange clock's pictures on your SD, so extract or transfer the content of the attachment to your SD.
warham

Unread post by warham »

yes~!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

warham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:14 amyes~!
I assume that "yes!" means something like "Well done, fulfills my wish for a configurable fullsize clock and I'm happy with it!" ? ;)
FDA

Unread post by FDA »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:18 am
I assume that "yes!" means something like "Well done, fulfills my wish for a configurable fullsize clock and I'm happy with it!" ? ;)
hello Larry, sorry to bother you, I sent you a PM ^^
RealLarry
Top Contributor

FDA wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:26 am
Did you? :) Your last PM is dated 07/14 and you have downloaded the update for both of your devices afterwards. No new PM from you since then...
FDA

Unread post by FDA »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:11 am
FDA wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:26 am

Did you? :) Your last PM is dated 07/14 and you have downloaded the update for both of your devices afterwards. No new PM from you since then...
lol I was sure I wrote to you :D