Flicker Changing Resolutions on a CRT (Solved)

d909

Flicker Changing Resolutions on a CRT (Solved)

Unread post by d909 »

I'm experiencing a brief flicker when the resolution changes, even though I'm using VGA -> CRT. The flicker goes away if I set vsync_adjust to 0, but trading a flicker for an extra frame of lag is hardly ideal. vga_scaler is set to 0.

A simple way to replicate it is opening and closing the menu in Final Fantasy VII.

My real PS2 has no flicker in the same situation.

Is this considered a bug?
Hectic

Re: Flicker Changing Resolutions on a CRT (Solved)

Unread post by Hectic »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think vsync_adjust should not affect image of the analog board when vga_scaler is 0

Paste the ini. FF7 pal or ntsc?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

You don't get any delay on VGA out when setting vsync adjust to 0, it's just for HDMI/scaler.

There is currently a situation where there is additional stress on the HPS/Linux when using vsync adjust 1+2 and the resolution changes, which will eventually be resolved.
Until then, best to stick with vsync adjust 0 for the PSX core.
d909

Unread post by d909 »

Hectic wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:19 am Correct me if I'm wrong but I think vsync_adjust should not affect image of the analog board when vga_scaler is 0
This was my understanding as well, but I tried with it on and with it off and there was indeed a difference.
FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:40 am You don't get any delay on VGA out when setting vsync adjust to 0, it's just for HDMI/scaler.

There is currently a situation where there is additional stress on the HPS/Linux when using vsync adjust 1+2 and the resolution changes, which will eventually be resolved.
Until then, best to stick with vsync adjust 0 for the PSX core.
Thanks!