NSF Player?

ccovell

NSF Player?

Unread post by ccovell »

Hi, folks. I'm new to the forums but have been using MiSTer for more than a year.

The NES core doesn't seem to load and play .NSF files anymore. Have I missed something? And can someone point to the documentation about this that I missed, in the case that I did?

Does each core have a changelog somewhere that users can refer to to view changes?

The NES core info on GitHub says there is something called "NFS" file as boot3.rom. If this is required to play NSF files then certainly I and others have missed the memo, misnamed as it is.
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Re: NSF Player?

Unread post by Kitrinx »

Hi Chris,

There definitely does seem to be a problem with the NSF player since the last release. Recent changes the framework changed the behavior of file loading slightly which messed up a few things in NES. Since it loads NES, FDS, NFS, ROM, PAL, and GG files, the loader is a little extra complex. Boot3.rom is not required, but rather is simply a way to load an NFS file on startup if you so desire. boot0.rom is the FDS bios and is the only boot file required to add functionality.
ccovell

Unread post by ccovell »

Thanks for the answer, but could you clarify what an NFS file is? Don't you (and the page on GitHub) mean NSF?
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

An NFS file is a typo's NSF.
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Are there specific NSF files that don't play anymore? I have just played some without issue. NES core 0526. MiSTer 0529.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

One thing I was wondering about, is there a possibility that the MiSTER could show the different sound channels like the Nt Mini NSF player (shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4CTtPOtXc)? I really wish I could access this feature without having to buy an NT mini.
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

barfood wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:10 pm One thing I was wondering about, is there a possibility that the MiSTER could show the different sound channels like the Nt Mini NSF player (shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4CTtPOtXc)? I really wish I could access this feature without having to buy an NT mini.
Someone would have to implement a visualizer. I just don't think anyone will anytime soon.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

That's a really neat visualizer. I would love to see something like that in MiSTer!
Topbravo

Unread post by Topbravo »

Having a visualizer like that would be incredible!
Topbravo

Unread post by Topbravo »

:D Omg, I think someone added one in! Image

:o
Attachments
NSF
NSF
16398AA0-22CB-43CF-983A-909F95CE9102.jpeg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 3997 times