Any possibility of damaging HDMI display? (monitor crashed)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
thisisamigaspeaking

Any possibility of damaging HDMI display? (monitor crashed)

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

My Dell S2417DG crashed and locked up with noise on the screen while using MiSTer (it happened after powering off) and I had to pull the AC cord from the monitor twice. First time it started working again but no sound, second time brought sound back. I've never had trouble with the display before but of course it could still be the fault of the display.

Is there any possibility of the DE10-Nano or MiSTer software causing damage to an HDMI display? I ask because I want to hook it up to a more valuable display that I can't really risk damaging.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Any possibility of damaging HDMI display? (monitor crashed)

Unread post by Malor »

You could definitely damage analog monitors by sending them bad signals, but AFAIK that shouldn't be possible with HDMI. If a monitor or TV is damaged by an input that's within voltage and amperage spec (as opposed to merely confused), then that unit is defective, full stop.

That said, the Mister is known to interact poorly with some CEC implementations; that's how HDMI devices talk to each other, powering each other on or off or making other changes. Using a CEC stripper, which I believe is just a passthrough HDMI plug with one line not connected, can avoid those problems.