Recommended "Silent" Joystick?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Fuzzball

Recommended "Silent" Joystick?

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I have a noisy USB speedlink joystick with really loud micro switches. Can anyone recommend a low latency silent equivalent please to this

speedlink-competition-pro-pc-controler.jpg
speedlink-competition-pro-pc-controler.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

(sorry I just realised there is a "input devices" section on the forum where this would have been more appropriate to post)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Recommended "Silent" Joystick?

Unread post by Chris23235 »

You can try a VCS2600 joystick clone. The Hyperkin Trooper is decent, but this type of joystick isn't as sturdy as a CP, better buy a second spare. In general the CP from Speedlink is not great and much louder then e.g. the ArcadeR.

You can try to find a refurbished non microswitch Competition Pro to use with an USB adapter, but this will be a hard find.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Fuzzball wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:14 pm Can anyone recommend a low latency silent equivalent please to this
You can always try the original Kempston "Competition Pro" joystick. Its rubber grommet/pivot is so thick you won't hear anything :D
Chris23235
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07 pm
Fuzzball wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:14 pm Can anyone recommend a low latency silent equivalent please to this
You can always try the original Kempston "Competition Pro" joystick. Its rubber grommet/pivot is so thick you won't hear anything :D
The micro switch version of the original Competition Pro from Kempston was nowere as loud as the Speedlink version, but it wasn't exactly silent.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

This would be good.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/ ... stick.html

But it would require a case to put in, alongside buttons of your choice, and a controller board.
Failing that, are there any leaf-switch modern USB joysticks out there ?

You could, if this is possible, replace the microswitches in your USB speedlink joystick, with some silent microswitches. Google "Silent Omron Microswitches", and see if anyone is selling them near you, or in your Country.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

arcadeworlduk has been my go-to for oh so many years in the past...

I wish bloody Brexit didn't happen :(
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

The original Competition Pro with a DaemonBite adapter is probably your best bet for this form factor — as others pointed out, it used a leaf switch instead of microswitches. Hard to find, but if you set up some alerts on your local seller markets (assuming you are in Europe) will occasionally turn up some.

The ArcadeR isn’t *too* loud (and comes in a USB version too, for ease of use with the MiSTer), but they aren’t the greatest at shipping, so might take a long time to get to you. Upside is that it uses standard arcade parts, so you might be able to find even quieter replacement parts for it.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:23 pm arcadeworlduk has been my go-to for oh so many years in the past...
He's a top bloke. I use him on eBay, and often I want some help/advice, rather than buy something, and he always gives me straight answers.
I asked him for advice on building my own arcade stick, with a spinner, and trackball, and flight stick all on one single player arcade stick. He not only gave me all the parts to get, but he also custom-drilled holes in the wood to accommodate all of them, including the trackball with mounting holes. It looked a bit, everything-including-the-kitchen-sink joystick, but I loved it. Playing Zaxxon with a proper flight stick felt sooo good.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Fuzzball

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:16 pm This would be good.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/ ... stick.html

But it would require a case to put in, alongside buttons of your choice, and a controller board.
Failing that, are there any leaf-switch modern USB joysticks out there ?

You could, if this is possible, replace the microswitches in your USB speedlink joystick, with some silent microswitches. Google "Silent Omron Microswitches", and see if anyone is selling them near you, or in your Country.
Thanks but putting my own controller together is way beyond me and to be honest I am getting too old to be bothered to do it. I wouldn't have a clue how to wire it up and I have zero soldering skills anyway. I'm just looking for something that is plug and play.

I'm in the UK so it is a shame they don't sell ready built ones.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Fuzzball wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:02 am Thanks but putting my own controller together is way beyond me and to be honest I am getting too old to be bothered to do it. I wouldn't have a clue how to wire it up and I have zero soldering skills anyway. I'm just looking for something that is plug and play.

I'm in the UK so it is a shame they don't sell ready built ones.
This was mentioned in the first response. Looks good to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPWl5O8KVo
Fuzzball

thorr wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:24 am This was mentioned in the first response. Looks good to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPWl5O8KVo
Thanks I managed to miss that one when browsing on my phone. That looks like an interesting option.
MrDo

Unread post by MrDo »

limi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 pm The ArcadeR isn’t *too* loud (and comes in a USB version too, for ease of use with the MiSTer), but they aren’t the greatest at shipping, so might take a long time to get to you. Upside is that it uses standard arcade parts, so you might be able to find even quieter replacement parts for it.
Where is a good place to purchase the USB version of the ArcadeR?

Also is it looser than the Speedlink? Which gives me serious hand aches after 10 minutes.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

MrDo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:48 pm Where is a good place to purchase the USB version of the ArcadeR?
Not sure I have seen the USB version anywhere else than on the main site. You could ask ultimatemister.com, I know they carry the DE9 version?
Also is it looser than the Speedlink? Which gives me serious hand aches after 10 minutes.
Yes, way looser. A bit too loose by default for me, but luckily it’s easy to replace the parts for different stiffness, actuation, etc.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

MrDo wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:48 pm
limi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 pm The ArcadeR isn’t *too* loud (and comes in a USB version too, for ease of use with the MiSTer), but they aren’t the greatest at shipping, so might take a long time to get to you. Upside is that it uses standard arcade parts, so you might be able to find even quieter replacement parts for it.
Where is a good place to purchase the USB version of the ArcadeR?

If you are happy with the DB9 version's buttons a Daemonbite DB9/USB adapter works flawless.
MrDo

Unread post by MrDo »

limi wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:40 pm Yes, way looser. A bit too loose by default for me, but luckily it’s easy to replace the parts for different stiffness, actuation, etc.
Good to know thanks. Tempted now.
Chris23235 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:20 pm If you are happy with the DB9 version's buttons a Daemonbite DB9/USB adapter works flawless.
Wheres the best place to buy these? Most on daemonbite.com are out of stock.
retrofan01

Unread post by retrofan01 »

MrDo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:33 pm Wheres the best place to buy these? Most on daemonbite.com are out of stock.
I got mine recently from ultimatemister.com and it's been excellent. Looks like the DB9 one is currently out of stock but Ricardo does tend to restock regularly (within weeks if not days).