Why Are the Analog Images of All Cores Zoomed In on My MiSTer?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Quaelgeist

Why Are the Analog Images of All Cores Zoomed In on My MiSTer?

Unread post by Quaelgeist »

Hello everybody,

When using my Mister with analog out, I have a both curious and vexxing problem:
The edges of the screen get cut off, no matter which core I use. See the attached screenshots. It is on all sides, top, bottom, left and right.

It is the same on three different CRT TVs.
Happens with Scart and Composite.
I tried two different I/O boards.
Three different cables.
I tried switching the settings in the Mister.ini. No success (apart from messing up the picture even more in some cases)

Has anybody any idea what else to try? I do not understand what causes this problem. No gaming console I have ever owned suffered from this. Why is the Mister's Analog Output different?

And yes, I am aware of CRTs having service menus which should allow to mitigate such problems, but I could locate a service manual for only one of my TVs and the secret code to be input via the remote simply does not work on it :-(
Attachments
Lanka.jpg
Lanka.jpg (7.85 MiB) Viewed 785 times
Cutoff.jpg
Cutoff.jpg (6.68 MiB) Viewed 785 times
MostroW

Re: Why Are the Analog Images of All Cores Zoomed In on My MiSTer?

Unread post by MostroW »

looks like an overscan issue, most tv sets have the ability to correct the image like you said.
older models typically had two small knobs / dials on the back where you could turn and see the image being stretched / shrunk.
Nioreh

Unread post by Nioreh »

It's just overscan. Console games were designed with this in mind, and placed no important information close to the edges. Arcades are a different story, and you might want to adjust your set to compensate for it.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

For arcade games like the one in you photos go into OSD >> Video and try to tweak CRT H / V offset + CRT scale settings. Then you can see how much off your TV is and adjust it accordingly in the service menu. If you can't get into the service menu then there's not much you can do, bar a) using some custom modelines, but that'd be a pita to do on a whole-MiSTer scale or b) getting used to it.

Consoles and micros should all be outputting reasonably centered image from the get go. You can test it using 240p suite. If your image is severely off on 3 different TVs for consoles etc, then maybe there really is a problem. In that case please post some pics of non-arcade games (best to use 240p suite) and your mister.ini.
Quaelgeist

Unread post by Quaelgeist »

Thanks to everybody who replied. very kind of you. Today I surprisingly got a hold of another remote for one of my TVs and entering service mode worked with that one. I guess the remote that came with the TV just had one button broken that was needed to enter the service menu code or something.
Either way, I was able to adjust the picture and now Blanka has regained the B in the beginning of his name :-) So I am fine now and will leisurely hunt for the service menu codes of my other two TVs.