Any place to connect Disk / HDD LED on Analog IO board? (Checkmate Case)

thisisamigaspeaking

Any place to connect Disk / HDD LED on Analog IO board? (Checkmate Case)

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

Got a v6.1 IO board and I'm putting it in a Checkmate case. Is there any place to connect an HDD LED (i.e. a PC case style HDD LED)? Thanks.
MostroW

Re: Any place to connect Disk / HDD LED on Analog IO board? (Checkmate Case)

Unread post by MostroW »

IO Board has designations for external LED's Check schematic for directions on how to connect the correct terminal(s)
thisisamigaspeaking

Oh I see now, "Ext. LEDs" I didn't notice that connector when I first replied. Duh. Thanks!!!
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

you're most welcome!
thisisamigaspeaking

MostroW wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:30 pm IO Board has designations for external LED's Check schematic for directions on how to connect the correct terminal(s)
Would you mind taking a look at this thread? I have brought it back to clarify the diagram and explanations in it.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

what the diagram shows is correct, pin 1 is +5v and the other pin goes to GPIO connector pin 3 to complete that circuit and the DE10 controls it's on / off state.

about the checkmate case i can't say anything about the LED part, but adding a resistor is to prevent the current from destroying the LED if it would exceed (typically 20mA) it's rated current.

for additional reading, this could potentially help.

i'm not an expert in these kind of things, and also need to read up a lot of the time, so in that regard any expert advice would be most welcome.
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:56 pm
MostroW wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:30 pm IO Board has designations for external LED's Check schematic for directions on how to connect the correct terminal(s)
Would you mind taking a look at this thread? I have brought it back to clarify the diagram and explanations in it.
I would ignore everything in that thread, except maybe the nice colorful hookup diagram. The page that MostroW linked is a really good explanation of LEDs work.
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
thisisamigaspeaking

legacypixels wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:28 pm
thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:56 pm
I would ignore everything in that thread, except maybe the nice colorful hookup diagram. The page that MostroW linked is a really good explanation of LEDs work.
Great thank you, I commented there pointing out the incorrect information (as I understand) so anyone else visiting isn't confused as well.

This is from the Checkmate case. What I believe it shows is two LEDs run in parallel with a 100 ohm resistor, which is correct for standard LEDs at 5V. So I believe I should just connect the wires to the Amiga side. The PC side assumes there are resistors on the motherboard.
leds.png
leds.png (412.49 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
edit: Confirm that the place to connect the HDD LED on a Checkmate case is the "Amiga" side. I removed the connector housing from the wires and slid them over pin 1 (+5V) and pin 3 (disk) on the 7-pin connector on the I/O board. Works well. Easier than adding your own resistors.

edit2: I ended up making a proper cable with connector because I didn't want to trust tape to do the job.
wire.jpeg
wire.jpeg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 1036 times