CGC Round 3 core: TurboDuo!

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Round 3 core: TurboDuo!

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

Per the community feedback thread, we have split our random core selections into three groups (arcade, computer and game console) that we will be rotating between each week. As we're still getting up and running with our little club, I made the executive decision to start the rotation with game consoles for this week's random core as the classic computers often need extra setup and learning before a game can be played on it. I got the sense this is what people wanted, and who am I to deny them? If that's not the case... yeah, well do it yourself next time! Sheesh.

And with that out of the way, this week's random core is the TurboDuo (TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine / CD / SuperGrafx all in one)!

I'm pretty excited by this as there are many hidden gems on the consoles. In addition to standard TG16/PC-Engine/SuperGrafx cartridges, the core also supports CD games!! I can immediately think of one that I will recommend because of the fact that it's an oddball and features CD-quality music.

There are far, far too many games available on the core to list them all here, but I'm sure that won't stop anyone from nominating good ones! Here's some help with that:

https://www.fpgafiles.com/mister/pce/a.html
https://www.fpgafiles.com/mister/pcecd/a.html
https://www.fpgafiles.com/mister/superg ... tlist.html

Setup guide: viewtopic.php?t=2628

Please make your nominations (up to three) for games to add to our first list, and please second others' nominations as well.

When a week has passed, we will again make a game selection at random and begin playing!

Round 2 is now open for play!

Nominations so far (seconded):

Military Madness
Time Cruise
New Adventure Island
Seirei Senshi Spriggan

Camp California
Darius Alpha
Last Alert
charmless

Re: CGC Round 3 core: TurboDuo!

Unread post by charmless »

So many great games to choose from. This needs some careful consideration. At least I have som controller options :D

20220805_160043.jpg
20220805_160043.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3900 times

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:04 pm So many great games to choose from. This needs some careful consideration.
Indeed. I'm going to need some time to go through the ones I already know vs. other recommended games for the consoles. I'm going to try to nominate two I haven't played before, but it's really tempting to go with ones I know are good from previous experience.
charmless

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:18 pm
charmless wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:04 pm So many great games to choose from. This needs some careful consideration.
Indeed. I'm going to need some time to go through the ones I already know vs. other recommended games for the consoles. I'm going to try to nominate two I haven't played before, but it's really tempting to go with ones I know are good from previous experience.
Very tempting, especially if it's a game that I really would like to talk about with others.

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:21 pm Very tempting, especially if it's a game that I really would like to talk about with others.
I've noticed there are quite a lot of explicit/adult titles available for the core. While I'd certainly like to talk about those from a "weird time in history" standpoint, I doubt I'll be nominating any. I saw this while browsing the FPGAFiles.com links in the OP.

I'm a big fan of the Darius series of shooters from Taito, and there are several available for this core. One of them will probably make my list of three nominations.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There was a TG/16 game I played on a roomate's machine. It was a hex-based wargame title, turn-based. I'm hoping someone here remembers it.

It ate a good chunk of one summer, and I've been wanting to fire that up again for years, but I have no idea what it was called.

If someone remembers it, I nominate Unknown Wargame. :)
charmless

Malor wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:05 pm There was a TG/16 game I played on a roomate's machine. It was a hex-based wargame title, turn-based. I'm hoping someone here remembers it.

It ate a good chunk of one summer, and I've been wanting to fire that up again for years, but I have no idea what it was called.

Could it have been Military Madness?

https://youtu.be/AU6yembF7os

charmless

Reading time! :)

2022-08-05 22.11.18.jpg
2022-08-05 22.11.18.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 3902 times

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

This a system I know nothing about. Happy to see what people nominate to second.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

charmless wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:31 pm
Malor wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:05 pm There was a TG/16 game I played on a roomate's machine. It was a hex-based wargame title, turn-based. I'm hoping someone here remembers it.

Could it have been Military Madness?

https://youtu.be/AU6yembF7os
I'm pretty sure that's it. That was a very good game at the time, but in looking at it now, it's kind of a low-rent Advance Wars. I think I'll withdraw my nomination for now, to see if other options are better. The random-choice thing means we might get stuck with it.
charmless

Ok, here are my three nominations. I've gone with games that I've tried - and really liked - but would like to spend much more time with.

- New Adventure Island https://youtu.be/P6mCDkcO8cg

- Seirei Senshi Spriggan https://youtu.be/kb5q0mXmIo4

- Time Cruise https://youtu.be/7qK9RhC8gT8

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Happy to play a strat game. Some of the best turn based games are up rez'd versions of their originals.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Well, since we're low on nominations, I'll nominate Military Madness and second Time Cruise.
PistolsAtDawn

Well my attention was pulled away from the MiSTer this week, and I spaced on making my nominations! D'oh! I will therefore second all the other nominations made so far (I liked the look of them all anyway!).

I meant to have nominated:

Darius Alpha

Camp California (CD game featuring the music of the Beach Boys)

Last Alert (CD game, surprisingly fun run and gun)

There were way too many games to go through for me to come up with any that I had not played, but I would also play a lot more of the above three games. The TG16 was such a nice-looking system (heck, the whole 16 bit console era was pretty, and that style endures to this day) that I felt like I was locked up by the tyranny of choice.

If anyone wants to second one of the above just to grow the list of potentials that'd be cool. I can wait until later today before hitting the random button. If not, that's cool too.
PistolsAtDawn

And the random pick is Seirei Senshi Spriggan!