PSX Core Possible to Have Game Specific Settings?

MammonMachiner

PSX Core Possible to Have Game Specific Settings?

Unread post by MammonMachiner »

This may not be at all feasible but I was wondering if it'd be possible to add an option to save settings for each specific game? I've been messing around with the Turbo mode (seems to help quite a bit on certain scenes in Grandia; like from 22 fps to 30fps even) but on some games it totally borks it (Thousand Arms, for example). It's kind of a pita to have to change it every time I start one of these games, so I was curious if there was a way to make them specific for the game, so that once it's set, you don't have to mess with it again?

Thanks!
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: PSX Core Possible to Have Game Specific Settings?

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

There is currently no way to do that, which i know off.
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I think you should be able to do it by setting up a .mgl file with a setname tag, similar the one here that allows saving different settings for Master System and Game Gear. You have to then make a new directory for the game files (/games/psxturbo or whatever you call it) and probably the bios and stuff as well so it’s a bit of fiddling especially if you want different ones for individual games. It’s also possible to specify which game to boot in the .mgl but I haven’t played around with that myself - I’m posting from my phone and haven’t tried this for PSX but I think it should work.

Edit: not sure if the PSX core supports this though, given the dev says he doesn’t know of a way to do it maybe not.

Edit again: I tried this out and it’s working for me, though not very elegant. If you just want to have two versions of the core with different settings, go with a file in _console/ named “PSX alt.mgl” (or whatever name you want to give it, the file name minus .mgl will appear in the list) containing:

Code: Select all

<mistergamedescription>
    <rbf>_console/psx</rbf>
    <setname>PSXalt</setname>
</mistergamedescription>
And make a directory in games/ named with the same name you’ve put in the setname tag. That directory will need the boot roms and whatever disk images/sbi files/whatever you need for the games you want to run.

If you want per-game settings, add this line to the file (inside the description tags):

Code: Select all

<file delay=“0” type=“s” index=“1” path=“game.cue”/>
And change the setname to the name of the game. You’ll need a directory matching the setname containing the bios and the disk image for each game you make one of these for, so it’ll make a mess of your games/ directory if you do a lot of them. The path in the file tag is relative to the games/setname directory.
MammonMachiner

Unread post by MammonMachiner »

Wow, it's cool you figured out a way to do that. Definitely more involved than I imagined but I might give this a try soon, just to see how it goes.

Thanks!