What Do You Think Will Happen Once MiSTer Reaches It's Limits?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Re: What Do You Think Will Happen Once MiSTer Reaches It's Limits?

Unread post by pgimeno »

Bas wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:05 am I guess my main point, without triggering sensitivities here, is that there was an era in which 2D games were at their pinnacle while 3D was in its pre-infancy. Marketing forces then dictated an exaggerated push to 3D long before the hardware was ready to match that of 2D to create immersive experiences. The result was games with clunky graphics.
(bolding mine). Marketing forces follow user demand, not the other way around. There was user demand because most people preferred clunky 3D over superb 2D. The hardware was not ready, true, but the demand was very pressing.

That is objective fact. If people prefer clunky 3D over superb 2D, there's no basis to assert that "it is objectively true that early 3D had a lot of catching up to do to late 2D games".

Of course there were companies doing 3D just because users demanded 3D, without the 3D really adding anything to the gameplay, and often with terrible results. But doing what the market demands without worrying about the final result happens all the time.
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

No no no No no Limits Plenty of Arcade games left to do haven't even got Elevator Action yet ?
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

It blows my mind that Elevator Action hasn't been done. Was just playing Elevator Action Deluxe on PS3. I still miss the original. Would be such a cool core to have.