ShapeShifter (68k Mac emulation on Minimig)

maharba

Re: ShapeShifter (68k Mac emulation on Minimig)

Unread post by maharba »

bbond007 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:15 am It VirtualLink might be worth looking into though.
Thanks for the tip! I was able to get the Amiga online using Miami (so wild to see live websites in all their "glory" on such an old machine), and I have VirtualLink installed and configured (I think), but can't get MacTCP to work. The Vlink.guide mentions that MacTCP in OS 7.5 is buggy, and I don't see any of the expected networking utilities on the OS 8.1 install in meauxdal's package, so I'm kind of at a dead-end there.

BUT...
limi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:19 am As the person that made the original script that meauxdal based his excellent work on [...]

As for the disk image — yes, the original setup I made uses hardfiles that are hosted inside the Amiga FS [...]
Limi, thank you for your contribution to, and all your work on, this amazing project! It turns out Shapeshifter's built-in Mac-Handler utility can, in fact, mount the Mac hardfiles as a drive in WorkBench— the only issue is that it tries to mount them as MAC: and there's already a volume with that name (the one with all the Shapeshifter goodness inside it). When I rename that volume to something else, the Mac-Handler is able to mount any Mac drive (hooray!).

I can now drop any file into /games/Amiga/shared on the MiSTer and then, in Workbench copy them onto any Mac drive. So, problem solved— sort of. If I don't change the original Mac: volume's name back before switching off the Amiga, it causes all sorts of problems in the script that launches Shapeshifter (forcing me to replace the HDF files in /games/Amiga). Is there a way to update this setup so that the volume currently named "Mac" has another name and still launches as it currently does?

Thanks!
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

maharba wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 pm Thanks for the tip! I was able to get the Amiga online using Miami (so wild to see live websites in all their "glory" on such an old machine), and I have VirtualLink installed and configured (I think), but can't get MacTCP to work. The Vlink.guide mentions that MacTCP in OS 7.5 is buggy, and I don't see any of the expected networking utilities on the OS 8.1 install in meauxdal's package, so I'm kind of at a dead-end there.
I could not get MacTCP to work on MiSTer/MiniMig ShapeShifter either with 7.5 or 7.6.1 and did not try 8.1.

I know I have successfully used Vlink on my A1200 with ShapeShifter and I think it comes down to 1 of two things.

1. (most likely) I'm doing something wrong. MacTCP seems really confusing.
or
2. Open Transport is needed for MacTCP and OT needs a 030 or better CPU. (My A1200 has a 68060)

I was hoping a fresh set of eyes could make it work.

Please let me know if you make any progress or discover anything...
deeder

Unread post by deeder »

Hello! I am very new to Mister and stumbled upon this thread and the Myst video on Youtube. Is there any chance this Shapeshifter build is still available somewhere? I would love to see if I can boot Myst and maybe some of those old Ambrosia shareware games. Thanks~

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I had very bad luck with Shapeshifter on the Amiga core. I kinda got it running, but it was pretty unstable.

I've been trying to get BasiliskII running on the Linux side, someone did a package for that, but I haven't had any luck there, either.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

deeder wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 am

Hello! I am very new to Mister and stumbled upon this thread and the Myst video on Youtube. Is there any chance this Shapeshifter build is still available somewhere? I would love to see if I can boot Myst and maybe some of those old Ambrosia shareware games. Thanks~

Look for MacPack-20211212

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Malor wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:44 am

I had very bad luck with Shapeshifter on the Amiga core. I kinda got it running, but it was pretty unstable.

I've been trying to get BasiliskII running on the Linux side, someone did a package for that, but I haven't had any luck there, either.

I did not notice unstability with Shapeshifter.
BasiliskII is by bbond007. I installed it some years ago without any problem. Since I redid my SD card I did not reinstall it.

deeder

Unread post by deeder »

jca wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:27 pm
deeder wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:59 am

Look for MacPack-20211212

Thank you! I'll check it out~

meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

I was never able to get my ShapeShifter image into a polished enough state to release it on Archive, but I'll link my hub document here to make sure interested parties are able to get to the "beta" image. Check the ShapeShifter link near the top:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E4L ... sp=sharing

There are some known issues (e.g. Labyrinth of Time doesn't work due to missing files) but most stuff should work pretty well.