SNK Ikari Warriors Arcade Core

Arcatech

Re: SNK Ikari Warriors Arcade Core

Unread post by Arcatech »

I checked the variables section of Win 10 and I don''t have that variable listed

No GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable.PNG
No GCC_EXEC_PREFIX variable.PNG (36.19 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

I will persevere with this, what I will do is start from scratch and delete all installations except the cube programming software and see if that fixes it.

I am slightly familiar with programming these type of devices as I have programmed a Arduino R3 uno successfully in the past with a blinking LED program prior to programming it with the intended project .ino file but this was using the 1.8.13 version Arduino software and so I am totally confused why I am unable to program this board, the only difference is the method of programming via the 4 wires on the ST32 blue pill board rather than via USB Type B connection on the Uno board.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Unread post by RndMnkIII »

see my last answer because the blank character in the username can be the problem.
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:48 pm see my last answer because the blank character in the username can be the problem.

I'm in the process of creating a new user for my PC I will reinstall everything from scratch under that new username and let you know the result...thanks for the heads up on the blank character issue
Arcatech

Well what can I say...every day is a school day!...Blinking LED is working after changing PC username with no spaces and reinstalling everything under that new username :D

That issue was driving me crazy I would never have guessed it was due to a blank character issue in my PC's username as I previously had no issues compiling other projects with the R3 Uno and the Arduino software.

Many thanks for the that golden nugget of information...i'll try the upload of the LS-30 ino file next.

I'm just waiting on a male to male USB cable and the Mister IO board which I have on order. I also contacted the guy who makes the Jamma Expander board and he sees no issue using the Mister IO board and your SNAC adapter as the Mister IO is connected via the GPIO connections only, the Jamma Exp. board is connected using USB OTG and HDMI port.

Blinking LED.jpg
Blinking LED.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

I'm glad to hear that the problem is fixed, please note that arduino installs a new toolchain and tools to be able to compile code for an ARM processor that is different from the one used for AVR MCUs used by Arduino boards. From my experience as a programmer, I already knew about this type of problem and with nothing that I saw that your username had a blank space, the alarm went off.
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm I'm glad to hear that the problem is fixed, please note that arduino installs a new toolchain and tools to be able to compile code for an ARM processor that is different from the one used for AVR MCUs used by Arduino boards. From my experience as a programmer, I already knew about this type of problem and with nothing that I saw that your username had a blank space, the alarm went off.

Yes, all OK now...well from now on I'll make sure I program any new projects using the other windows login just to be safe.

I bought the PC 2nd hand as a hobby PC so didn't bother changing the user login when the previous owner wiped the PC, little did I know it would cause me so many issues later on!.

I have just uploaded the LS30_READ.ino file and didn't have any issue with that file either. Hopefully the other stuff turns up tomorrow so I can confirm everything works as it should.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Anybody know where you can get info on the DB15 adapter for snac?
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

You also can buy a ready to use DB15 SNAC adapter:
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... al-mister/
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

I was hoping to incorporate the circuit into the controller. Do you know if his board comes with a usb cable? It looks like he uses another female connector on his board.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

You need a male to male USB3 cable, something as this:
https://amzn.eu/d/4wj5CXj
Arcatech

The mister IO board I bought said in the instructions that I need to set the DE10 nano for IO Digital so I set SW3 to 'ON' only

DE10 Nano Config.PNG
DE10 Nano Config.PNG (17.91 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

I then connected up the SNAC adapter by connecting a Type A USB 3.0 lead between the Type A connector port on the SNAC and the USER IO board I purchased and the red and green LED stayed lit up on the STM32 so the board had power.

First I loaded up Ikari Warriors with just the P1 Rotate connector and the P1 controls connector plugged in and then selected SNAC 'ON' for P1 only.

I tried coining up by shorting the ground wire to my coin wire as I haven't quite finished connecting the wires to the SNK joystick but just wanted to test to see if the game would coin up which it wouldn't.

Next I selected P2 controls only and reset the game, this is when all hell broke loose and the game proceeded to coin up and start immediately then reset before the game could start properly and then started to throw up random graphics on the screen then finally threw up single random errors on the screen, one of which is shown below.

P2 SNAC enabled - Error 2.jpg
P2 SNAC enabled - Error 2.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
I reset the game with P2 SNAC controls still selected in the menu and another error screen came up with more error details on it

P2 SNAC enabled Error 1.jpg
P2 SNAC enabled Error 1.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 2657 times
At the moment I am not sure if this relates to a hardware issue or software programming issue. Is there anything you recommend me trying in order to figure out where the error is coming from?.

I think you said if you get the connections wrong some weird things will happen, perhaps like I mention above. I have also tried with no connectors attached but I still get game resets happening and error messages.

I could try to remove one connection at a time until the problem goes away then check those connections?
Arcatech

Rechecked all my wiring connections and spotted that I had connected the rotate wires connecting to the STM32 via the 1K resistor to the wrong side of the resistor so they were only connected to the resistor network and their associated pins on the SNK 13pin connector.

Soldering Error.PNG
Soldering Error.PNG (104.49 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

I corrected the wiring and rechecked every other connections ticking off each connection in turn connecting to the blue pill and I am still getting P1 not coining up when setting P1 SNAC option only and when setting P2 SNAC only I get game starting immediately with plane about to land then the game crashes and throws up the single memory address errors.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

You have two different SNAC choices in the core:
* DB15 Devices
* Native LS-30 Adapter

You should choose the second for the LS-30 controller.
The first is for game controllers as the NeoGeo DB15.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

If the game goes crazy is because the incorrect data for the selected input interface is coming. Check and recheck the harness cables because is too easy to attach them in the wrong order.
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:11 am If the game goes crazy is because the incorrect data for the selected input interface is coming. Check and recheck the harness cables because is too easy to attach them in the wrong order.
Hi...What I couldn't get my head round was that understandably you could get the rotate connections slightly wrong as these are connected via the resistor network and 1k resistors to their respective connections on the STM32 and I did notice there was a mistake with my wiring in this area which I corrected.

If the rotate connections were still incorrect somehow then when leaving both rotational connector leads off the SNAC adapter header effectively leaving them open connections at the pins the game still went crazy with SNAC LS-30 P2 option.

For player one when selecting the SNAC LS-30 P1 option there was no resetting of the game but at the same time I couldn't coin up either. The coin and directional controls are just simple direct connections to the STM32 so there is not much to get wrong here.

If I got one or two controller pins mixed up then one of the pins on the header should have coined the game up when I shorted it to ground but none did.

It seems the player 2 connections are the main issue, I noticed from your images you never connected player 2 up in your controller box did you ever test both controllers attached to the SNAC?.

I am intending to build another SNAC adapter from scratch and just connect the coin and ground wires first to the STM32 and then proceed one connection at a time to see if any any point the games starts to go crazy then I will see where the issues or mistakes can arise.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Now I dont can test it because I dont have acccess to it, when I can, I will check this, but you checked where the GND cable of LS30 harness goes, NOT always goes in the middle and is the first thing to test.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Also make sure to use the latest core version available, you can get it from:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... ors_MiSTer
I tested with 1Player and should work fine. And delete any input configuration of the core stored in the MiSTer.
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:41 am Now I dont can test it because I dont have acccess to it, when I can, I will check this, but you checked where the GND cable of LS30 harness goes, NOT always goes in the middle and is the first thing to test.
The 13 pin rotational controller leads and joysticks that I have are NOS SNK LS-30 joysticks. I haven't checked if pin 7 is the ground but it makes sense to make pin 7 GND so that even if you accidently plug the connector in the wrong way round pin 7 is always ground.

1 2 3 4 5 6 __ 7__ 8 9 10 11 12 13
13 12 11 10 9 8 __ 7__ 6 5 4 3 2 1

Do some SNK joysticks not use Pin 7 then?.

I have access to an original Ikari Warriors 3 layer board and the joysticks have been tested working with that board so can I assume pin 7 is ground?

With 13 pin harness not connected I still struggle with coining up the game so even making sure that one connection is correct and no interference from the 13 pin connector messing signals up within the STM32 I cannot do a simple coin up.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

This from Ikari Warriors Service Manual:
IKARI_WARRIORS_SERVICE_MANUAL_LS30_WIRING.png
IKARI_WARRIORS_SERVICE_MANUAL_LS30_WIRING.png (162.39 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
http://www.aurcade.com/games/manuals/00000109.pdf
I told this because I buyed my LS30 from ebay and I dont know from that specific machine comes and because I saw several sites where says
that the GND goes in pin 13 or pin 1(this simple is how the harness cables are reordered at the PCB connector side, at the rotary controller side always is the pin 7). YOU NEED TO CHECK THIS USING A TESTER, from my experience, the only thing I can tell you is never assume anything.
IKARI_WARRIORS_SCHEMATICS.png
IKARI_WARRIORS_SCHEMATICS.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
Examples of this, look carefully at the colors of the cables in the images and where they go:
IKARI_WARRIORS_SERVICE_MANUAL_LS30_WIRING.png (162.39 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
ls30wiring.gif
ls30wiring.gif (7.27 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
ls30wiringbiguse.jpg
ls30wiringbiguse.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am This from Ikari Warriors Service Manual:
http://www.aurcade.com/games/manuals/00000109.pdf
I told this because I buyed my LS30 from ebay and I dont know from that specific machine comes and because I saw several sites where says
that the GND goes in pin 13 or pin 1(this simple is how the harness cables are reordered at the PCB connector side, at the rotary controller side always is the pin 7). YOU NEED TO CHECK THIS USING A TESTER, from my experience, the only thing I can tell you is never assume anything.
IKARI_WARRIORS_SCHEMATICS.png

Examples of this, look carefully at the colors of the cables in the images and where they go:

ls30wiring.gif

ls30wiringbiguse.jpg
The colours on my wiring are different to the ones above, my colours are as follows:-

Joystick Connection
Pin 1 = Brown
Pin 2 = Red
Pin 3 = Orange
Pin 4 = Yellow
Pin 5 = Green
Pin 6 = Blue
Pin 7 = Purple
Pin 8 = Grey
Pin 9 = White
Pin 10 = Black
Pin 11 = Brown/White
Pin 12 = Red/White
Pin 13 = Orange/White

Board Connection
Pin 1 = Purple
Pin 2 = Orange/White
Pin 3 = Red/White
Pin 4 = Brown/White
Pin 5 = Black
Pin 6 = White
Pin 7 = Grey
Pin 8 = Blue
Pin 9 = Green
Pin 10 = Yellow
Pin 11 = Orange
Pin 12 = Red
Pin 13 = Brown

I've tested GND pin on my joystick by setting continuity on my multi-meter and then placing the black probe of my multi-meter on Pin 7 (assumed GND) and the red probe on Pin 1 then rotated the joystick in all 12 positions, each rotational click produced a sequential beep on each pin in turn from pins 1 to 6 and 8 to 13 so I now know Pin 7 is confirmed as ground pin on my joystick.

I doubled checked the above by placing black probe on Pin 13 for GND then placing the red probe on each pin in turn 1-6 then 8-12 and no beep registered on those pins.

Also I'm using core:- IkariWarriors_20220806.rbf

**EDIT** Just re-read your post above and you say Pin 7 is always GND at the controller end so the fact that my Pin 7 at the controller is the purple wire which then gets re-ordered to Pin 1 at the board end says that Pin 1 is GND at the board end, is this correct and does this affect the way I have wired my SNAC controller?.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

I understand not well or pin 7 from joystick goes to pin 1 on the pcb connector?
Arcatech

Just edited my post above but Pin 7 (purple wire) is re-configured to go to Pin 1 at the board end as this is the purple wire.

SNK Joystick-Connections.jpg
SNK Joystick-Connections.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2399 times

And below is my SNAC USB 3.0 connection to the Mister IO board

Mister to SNAC Connection.jpg
Mister to SNAC Connection.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 2369 times
Arcatech

Ok...so I wanted to rule out my SNAC adapter 13 pin wiring connections to the STM32 Blue Pill so what I did was to take a 2nd turned pin socket and proceeded to remove the following pins from the socket:-

A0 / A1
3.3v
B4 / B5
A8 / A9
B12 / B13

these connections except the 3.3v are all the final connections to the blue pill after the 1K resistors

Rotational Connections Isolated.PNG
Rotational Connections Isolated.PNG (98.2 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Rotate Isolate.jpg
Rotate Isolate.jpg (565.42 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
This has effectively isolated both 13 pin connections reaching the Blue Pill and this leaves just the direct joystick movement, Start and Coin connections intact.

With the rotational connections isolated I am still unable to coin up in P1 SNAC mode and P2 SNAC activated in the menu sends the game crazy again.

I can continue to isolate more connections by popping some more pins out but these will be all direct connections from joystick movement pins to the Blue Pill.

Can you confirm if you have your mister IO board set to Digital with SW3 activated only please?...I'm at a loss what the issue is at the moment.
Arcatech

I started measuring resistance from the ground pin to all other pins on the P1 controller header connectors on the SNAC adapter and I get a reading of anything between 1.5 - 1.85 MΩ resistance except for pin 7 for P1 which reads nothing however the same pin 7 for P2 I get a reading of 1.85 MΩ resistance.

Pin 7 on P1 is connected to A2 on the Blue Pill so would you be able to confirm if you get a resistance reading for A2 to GND on the Blue Pill please?.

I have checked A2 to GND with the Blue Pill removed from the SNAC adapter and again I'm still reading no resistance reading for A2.

If you get a reading then I am starting to think the Blue Pill maybe duff and is the cause of all my issues.

As a side note I selected P1 LS-30 SNAC in the core menu and by shorting Pin 4 (Left) to GND the game coins up and starts at the same time, the game continues into the game itself but the Ikari Warrior is constantly spinning around in circles and also firing bullets and grenades constantly.

The constant spinning could be attributed to no rotational 13 pin connector connected to the SNAC adapter but it doesn't explain the firing and grenade throwing as this is controlled from the buttons only, again this is another reason I suspect there is a fault with the Blue Pill itself.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Sorry, I dont have accesible the hardware (I'm in vacation mode)
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:38 pm Sorry, I dont have accesible the hardware (I'm in vacation mode)
No problem, have a well deserved holiday! :D
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

Before considering that something else fails, you will have to check the wiring of the LS30 harness since from what you tell me it is not the same as the one I used to make my prototype, based on the information you have provided me, surely this would be the new order to continue with the wiring (it only affects the order of the wiring in the connection to the board that you have designed):
IMG_20220827_220553.jpg
IMG_20220827_220553.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2257 times
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

In any case, you have to follow a methodology to test things, for now, do the tests with a single joystick connected to the pcb in the player1 port, you have to simplify the test cases, and try to reconfigure the wiring following this new scheme, you don't have to touch any of the resistors but you will have to resolder the wires to follow the new grouping.
RndMnkIII
Core Developer

You have to focus on getting player1's controller to work properly, then we'll see what player2 is. Of course disable any player2 controller in the core for testing. and do not keep any of player2's wiring connected while testing player1's controls.
Arcatech

RndMnkIII wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:13 am Before considering that something else fails, you will have to check the wiring of the LS30 harness since from what you tell me it is not the same as the one I used to make my prototype, based on the information you have provided me, surely this would be the new order to continue with the wiring (it only affects the order of the wiring in the connection to the board that you have designed):
IMG_20220827_220553.jpg
Many thanks for the updated circuit.

I can rewire as per your diagram above but can you explain why the direct connections for the joystick inputs, i.e. UP, DOWN, LEFT RIGHT, COIN and START are not working correctly as there are no resistors, resistor networks or caps in that circuit that I may have got wrong they just are wired directly to the STM32 so in theory I should have at least been able to coin a game, press start and then move my character about on the screen but just not be able to rotate the warriors's gun.

At the moment shorting player 2's LEFT direction pin to GND performs a simultaneous coin up and start of the game and then the character is spinning around firing grenades and gun fire in all directions.