R-Type Frequency Too Low Help

Insert Disk Two

R-Type Frequency Too Low Help

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

I play MiSTer on my TV which is VRR enabled. The lowest it goes is around 56hz. This was never an issue until I played R-TYPE and GALLOP Armed Police Unit both of which run at an even lower frequency. I wonder if there's some kind soul who can modify these cores to make them run slightly faster (56/57hz) to make the games compatible with my and other TVs that night have the same issues.

Thanks!
12characters

Re: R-Type Frequency Too Low Help

Unread post by 12characters »

It might not be the solution that you are looking for, but you can edit MiSTer.ini to use vscale_mode=0 for this specific core.

Code: Select all

[M72]
vsync_adjust=0
vrr_mode=0
Insert Disk Two

12characters wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:03 pm It might not be the solution that you are looking for, but you can edit MiSTer.ini to use vscale_mode=0 for this specific core.

Code: Select all

[M72]
vsync_adjust=0
vrr_mode=0
Heh well yeah. I do get a picture but the tv is resampling it to hell and back, so it's a stutterfest. While I appreciate your input, the result will be pretty much the same :/
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Download the latest version and try with the different settings for "video timing" in the OSD. It offers "normal", 50, 57 and 60 Hz.
Insert Disk Two

Oh wow. Didn't know, will do that.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Also if you are using VRR then set a minimum and maximum with the respective options in the MiSTer.ini.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... #L244-L247
birdybro~
Insert Disk Two

aberu wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:51 am Also if you are using VRR then set a minimum and maximum with the respective options in the MiSTer.ini.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... #L244-L247
I would still get stuttering like this though.
Insert Disk Two

I am testing RType and GALLOP Armed Police at 57hz and 60hz but it seems there is some weird flickering / picture noise going on when scrolling. Tested with two displays.

Very visible when using Sony Trinitron Preset. Can someone see if the problem replicates? This doesn't at 55hz but then the scrolling stutters (but that's a tv issue)

Any ideas? Thanks!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

If you aren't running at vsync_adjust=0 then it's very likely an issue with your display not liking non-standard refresh rates. Sometimes at weird refresh rates my Samsung would show duplicate frames from times earlier or would lag and stutter even on vsync_adjust=1 or 2.

EDIT: Try disabling Gamma, does that fix it?
birdybro~
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

aberu wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:58 pm If you aren't running at vsync_adjust=0 then it's very likely an issue with your display not liking non-standard refresh rates. Sometimes at weird refresh rates my Samsung would show duplicate frames from times earlier or would lag and stutter even on vsync_adjust=1 or 2.

EDIT: Try disabling Gamma, does that fix it?
It is - as you said - an issue with the Gamma. DIsabling it fixes the problem. My monitor displays all refresh rates the core offers: normal, 50, 57, 60, but 57 and 60 have graphical issues when paired with the CRT filter and Gamma. The colours are off then too. Disabling Gamma fixes all issues.

Does normal output the 55Hz of the original hardware? (according to mame)

I only tried R-Type but I think it should be the same with the other games on this core.