HDMI Picture Shown Incorrectly Borders Cut Off

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
reibuehl

HDMI Picture Shown Incorrectly Borders Cut Off

Unread post by reibuehl »

Hi,

I am trying to get my MiSTer FPGA connected to an older Philips 37PF9731D/10 LCD TV via HDMI. With the default video mode (1280x720@60) I get a picture but it is cut off on all four sides by a bit - in different cores and also in the Linux console. I tried switching to other video modes but didn't get a picture on any other, not even on the TV's native 1920x1080 mode.
Is there a way to scale the complete picture down a bit or another way to fix this?

Reiner
12characters

Re: HDMI Picture Shown Incorrectly Borders Cut Off

Unread post by 12characters »

Check the screen format adjustment on your TV. On a Philips, I believe that you want to set it to "Auto Format".
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Doing a quick google search says that TV doesn't even support 1080p at all. It supports up to 1080i which MiSTer does not output.

https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37p ... fu_eng.pdf - Here's the user manual.

Press option on the remote then go to Picture format, and then Auto Format as 12characters just said.
birdybro~
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

An LCD TV from 2006? Honestly, it would be more trouble than it's worth.
reibuehl

Unread post by reibuehl »

I have two possible settings on the TV - Auto Format and Wide Picture - available. Both show the same behavior but with Automatic Format the TV additionally tries to resize/zoom if it detects black areas which makes the situation even worse...

So I guess I have to accept it or get a new TV if there is no way to adjust the scaling :-(
jlancaster86 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 pm An LCD TV from 2006? Honestly, it would be more trouble than it's worth.
I have thought about getting a new one but it is so hard to choose a new one... the ones that have a builtin DVB-T receiver seem to be all "smart TVs" that are slow to start, try to flood you with advertising or have other annoyances. I don't need all the smart TV stuff since I have a Fire TV for Youtube, Netflix and such that. I would just like to have a DVB-T/T2 receiver built in as a "fallback" for normal TV.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

reibuehl wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:59 pm I have thought about getting a new one but it is so hard to choose a new one... the ones that have a builtin DVB-T receiver seem to be all "smart TVs" that are slow to start, try to flood you with advertising or have other annoyances. I don't need all the smart TV stuff since I have a Fire TV for Youtube, Netflix and such that. I would just like to have a DVB-T/T2 receiver built in as a "fallback" for normal TV.
Yeah, you'd have a hard time finding a non-smart TV these days. I don't like them either.

I purchased a Samsung smart TV at the end of 2020, and I just ignore the smart features. If you don't use them, you wouldn't know they were there.

External DVB-T tuners are still available and don't cost a lot.

If you want something specifically for MiSTer, I'd recommend a PC monitor (with VRR) over a TV.