Microcomputer Cores Feature Wishlist

GreyAreaUK

Re: Microcomputer Cores Feature Wishlist

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

BBC Micro - I'll add my voice to the 'SSD support' (although if we could keep MMB as well that would be nice).

But my biggest issue with the official core is that the rightmost scanline seems to be being missed. Clearly visible with Starship Command:

OEgZa8z.png
OEgZa8z.png (28.53 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
nico24
Core Developer

Unread post by nico24 »

For the Amstrad CPC - the Plus range with sprite support is what I would absolutely love!
turnerja

Unread post by turnerja »

We have a working PET 2001 but I think there is room for improvement for this, eg to support for the other PET models eg the 8032; would also be great to see Disk Support. Would this be too difficult to implement, as it is already there for the other Commodore 8 bit computers?
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

For the Amiga core, It would be nice to have an interface to support reading from real Floppy disks (preferably USB).

Unfortunately, this may be more an issue of creating the right hardware interface rather than modifying the core, so not sure if it fits this thread.

In any way, support for more advanced/faster processors is still something the Minimig core could use, so I wouldn't call it complete.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There's at least one USB-attached floppy drive that reads Amiga disks, and IIRC, WinUAE already has a driver for it. Getting Minimig to talk to it might not be that difficult.

The RMC channel (originally Retro Man Cave) has a video about it. Lemme scare it up.

edit, much later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0g7lQQVus

It looks pretty neat, but you can't buy any right now, because of the chip shortage. :(
fierman

Unread post by fierman »

Malor wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:17 am There's at least one USB-attached floppy drive that reads Amiga disks, and IIRC, WinUAE already has a driver for it. Getting Minimig to talk to it might not be that difficult.

The RMC channel (originally Retro Man Cave) has a video about it. Lemme scare it up.
It's not true that there is native usb floppy support - you still need a bridgedevice (arduino based for instance) between the diskdrive and the computer. So it might look easy at first, I doubt implementing this in Minimig is a simple task.

https://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk

sourcecode: https://github.com/RobSmithDev/FloppyDriveBridge
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I just added the video link.

WinUAE was easily modified to talk to the device over USB, and it apparently works perfectly, so probably the Mister could support it, too.

Yes, chips are involved, but you don't care about that part, you care about plugging in a USB cable and seeing it work. :)
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Assuming the ADF reader on Minimig is already operating like a Floppy drive, redirecting the I/O will hopefully not be too much work (this coming from someone that does not know how to develop a FPGA core, it just makes sense to me).

Anyway, hopefully one of the devs will take an interest and implement this.

Thanks for sharing the video.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »