Usage of Second SD Card Slot?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
rogerxy

Usage of Second SD Card Slot?

Unread post by rogerxy »

Hi

I am new to Mister and was wondering if I can use the second SD card slot to hold an SD card with roms or if the roms need to be placed on the same SD card as the software (i.e. the 1st SD card slot)

Thank you
MostroW

Re: Usage of Second SD Card Slot?

Unread post by MostroW »

The Wiki should tell you all you need about this.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Long story short, if you're using any core other than BBC Micro, MSX, Sinclair QL, Ondra SPO 186, TSConf, or Sharp X68000 you just need to put your roms in the main SD card in the /games directory. If you are using one of those cores, you might need to use the second SD card slot.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Sometimes very new cores only use the second SD card slot initially, because apparently it is easier to support.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:04 pm Long story short, if you're using any core other than BBC Micro, MSX, Sinclair QL, Ondra SPO 186, TSConf, or Sharp X68000 you just need to put your roms in the main SD card in the /games directory. If you are using one of those cores, you might need to use the second SD card slot.
Apart form Ondra, which I haven't tried, all these cores work fine from main SD as well. I think there was something about saving on BBC Micro via secondary SD but am not sure if it's still true.
shark800
Core Developer

Unread post by shark800 »

akeley wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:03 am Apart form Ondra, which I haven't tried, all these cores work fine from main SD as well.
Ondra works without a secondary SD card too. It needs it only for "Ondra SD" to work - "new age HW" that enables Ondra to load SW fast(er).