Digital IO How Do I Connect The Power?

scyto

Digital IO How Do I Connect The Power?

Unread post by scyto »

Ok i am already to do https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide But before that i am confused about all the power ports.

I got the digital i/o bundle from mister addon, it states "Power Splitter + Switch (Standard IO only - not needed for Digital IO"

In my box i have a powersplitter+switch cable, a two ended power cable, and the PSU power cable.

I have 3 power ports I see on one side.

My assumption is i plug the power supply into the digital I/O hat (as it has a power switch) but i am not sure if that's right or what i am supposed to connect the other cables to.

I checked the FAQ and looked at every post in this forum and couldn't see anything that covered this and the videos never show this basic step.
I didn't want to blow anything up so thought i would ask (even if y'all laugh at me :D )
scyto

Re: Digital IO How Do I Connect The Power?

Unread post by scyto »

Ok i think i answered my own question with this https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... ink-cable/
Mods feel free to delete thread if this was waste of time, but i read like many FAQs and watched some videos before i found this.

"If you are using the Digital I/O MiSTer addon board just connect your DE10-Nano power supply into the Digital IO boards DC power socket, then connect one end of the male jumper cable into the DE10-Nano boards DC power socket and the other male end into the USB Hub’s DC power socket. You can now control all the boards power via the on/off switch on the Digital IO board"
movisman

Unread post by movisman »

Hi there!

That's it, exactly as you mention above is how it should be configured when you have the digital IO board, DE10-Nano, and USB hub.

Power Supply > Digital IO board power socket
Jumper cable > one end into DE10-Nano power socket, other end into USB hub power socket.

The power switch on the digital IO will then control all three boards. Separate splitter / switch isn't needed in this configuration. This could be used if you were using analog IO or no IO at all.

In addition, because you are using the digital IO board, make sure you flipped the SW3 dip switch to 'on' on the DE10-Nano itself, see here:
https://misterfpga.co.uk/mister-fpga-ho ... -io-board/

This might already be done for you, but worth checking

Hope this helps!
wookeekee

Unread post by wookeekee »

movisman wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 am Hi there!

That's it, exactly as you mention above is how it should be configured when you have the digital IO board, DE10-Nano, and USB hub.

Power Supply > Digital IO board power socket
Jumper cable > one end into DE10-Nano power socket, other end into USB hub power socket.

The power switch on the digital IO will then control all three boards. Separate splitter / switch isn't needed in this configuration. This could be used if you were using analog IO or no IO at all.

In addition, because you are using the digital IO board, make sure you flipped the SW3 dip switch to 'on' on the DE10-Nano itself, see here:
https://misterfpga.co.uk/mister-fpga-ho ... -io-board/

This might already be done for you, but worth checking

Hope this helps!
Hi.

What if my USB hub doesn't have a power socket? Can the Digital IO board still be used or do I absolutely need a USB hub WITH a power socket?
thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

You should use a powered hub, it may have some other kind of power socket though or even a USB connector for power. It may work for you with an unpowered hub depending on what you connect to it but I would not recommend it.