cifs_mount.sh Script Nearly Set Up

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
seastalker

cifs_mount.sh Script Nearly Set Up

Unread post by seastalker »

Recently, I had a "EUREKA!" moment over something simple and silly stemming from not wanting to get my sd stuck in my acrylic case again, nor wear out the Nano's SD springy- I made a new 32gb sd card and fresh install, and put my old 512gb (with all my games) into a USB card reader and wondered why I never thought of this earlier!

That's still not enough capacity for my ISO/CHD collection (PSX, etc), so I debated doing the same with my USB external HDD. I still need to tweak and manage files and folders on it, and not ready to relinquish it from a PC nor have to hot swap and potentially lose data. So I've been looking again into my endgame goal of a MiSTer setup of network through Ethernet. RetroNAS is the goalline, but for now for testing I am trying this approach:

The fantastic 'Lu's Retro Source' tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O3sDLdOfkk

Really great stuff- followed it to a T and still got tripped up. First issue now resolved: Since the time he uploaded the video, the LATEST version of the
cifs_mount.sh script for ME created a "!=: unary operator expected' error" which I learned can be fixed by added quotation marks to line 251 in the script as shown here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts ... 5c0f0aa49c

Though I have THAT solved, I can get as far as having the mount script run successfully, but none of my sub-directories navigable from within the cores. I've tried setting shared folders on my intended external drive plugged into PC, and even removed that variable and retried by testing from a folder on my desktop EXACTLY as done in the video. When I run the script using Lu's instruction, It says the CIFS is mounted successfully, but unlike his screen, the prompts do not display that that results in the sub folders 'Genesis-CIFS' nor 'MegaCD-CIFS' [with boot.bin in the correct folder]. I use WinSCP to access the Nano's SD and have done networking, but am nearly ready to try the RetroNAS route if I can't figure this out.

Any ideas?
thisisamigaspeaking

Re: cifs_mount.sh Script Nearly Set Up

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

It would help to see your user options section from the cifs_mount.sh but with your password/login/etc info blanked out. Specifically what is your LOCAL_DIR and SPECIAL_DIRECTORIES and what changes have you made to the file. If you aren't sure, you could place the original cifs_mount.sh as a file cifs_mount.sh.orig and execute "diff cifs_mount.sh cifs_mount.sh.orig".
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: cifs_mount.sh Script Nearly Set Up

Unread post by Malor »

That sounds like it might be a permissions problem. Make sure that the user account you created has Full Permissions to the directory you're sharing, and all the files underneath. You can set those permissions on the directory, and then tell it to force inheritance on all children, so you can add permissions to the whole tree in one operation. It may take awhile to execute, if you have a lot of files, but it takes very little effort.

Also, watch out for Deny rules. Think of the Windows permission manager as a huge jerk: it looks for any excuse to deny access. If there's a deny that applies in any way to an account, denied. If there's no explicit positive permission, denied. Only if there's something that allows a person, with no conceivable deny, will the manager grudgingly let the account in.

Basically, avoid denies. They're troublesome.