Game & Watch Core

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Game & Watch Core

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:45 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 pm [...] it would indeed be great if the LCD sprites could cast shadows as well, though that might be tricky to do well in fpga.
Not to mention simulating liquid crystal "ripples" if you push too hard on the screen :mrgreen:
Yet it will have to be done for preservation purposes :D
Larn Conner

Unread post by Larn Conner »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 pm Great to have a complete G&W SM-510 pack. I also prefer backgrounds with shadows and it would indeed be great if the LCD sprites could cast shadows as well, though that might be tricky to do well in fpga.
I noticed Gameboy has an option for all the sprites casting a shadow. I'm wondering if that could be done for GNW core as well?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Larn Conner wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 pm Great to have a complete G&W SM-510 pack. I also prefer backgrounds with shadows and it would indeed be great if the LCD sprites could cast shadows as well, though that might be tricky to do well in fpga.
I noticed Gameboy has an option for all the sprites casting a shadow. I'm wondering if that could be done for GNW core as well?
I think that might be possible.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Larn Conner wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm I noticed Gameboy has an option for all the sprites casting a shadow. I'm wondering if that could be done for GNW core as well?
Game Boy renders in a square pixel grid, hence the particular mask filter producing that "drop shadow" effect has been possible (that's why it requires both horizontal and vertical integer scaling for it to work).

I highly doubt something similar can be tailored to the GnW core from a computation budget standpoint (no "pixels" per se here), but hey, with MiSTer genius devs, I've learned to never say never :)
Larn Conner

lamarax wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:53 pm
Larn Conner wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm I noticed Gameboy has an option for all the sprites casting a shadow. I'm wondering if that could be done for GNW core as well?
Game Boy renders in a square pixel grid, hence the particular mask filter producing that "drop shadow" effect has been possible (that's why it requires both horizontal and vertical integer scaling for it to work).

I highly doubt something similar can be tailored to the GnW core from a computation budget standpoint (no "pixels" per se here), but hey, with MiSTer genius devs, I've learned to never say never :)
I certainly believe one day it may be in-game.

Wish I could have learned to program, I'd love to work on some unloved systems myself and bring them to the MiSTer, but I sucked a programming classes and self-taught never got me very far, always had questions and nobody to answer them.

Update 3: vector graphics, heard of them, never worked with them. Not sure if shadows of a lighter color could be added to the SVG file directly.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

It's easy to edit SVG graphics in Inkscape, and adding a drop shadow is simple.
I did some tinkering and found that it looks great, but the core does not show the shadows once compiled. I think the rom file is looking for specific elements in the SVG and adding the drop shadow layer breaks it.
Larn Conner

Ashfall wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:31 pm It's easy to edit SVG graphics in Inkscape, and adding a drop shadow is simple.
I did some tinkering and found that it looks great, but the core does not show the shadows once compiled. I think the rom file is looking for specific elements in the SVG and adding the drop shadow layer breaks it.
Sounds like you're close. Hopefully there's a solution.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Larn Conner wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 pm
Ashfall wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:31 pm It's easy to edit SVG graphics in Inkscape, and adding a drop shadow is simple.
Sounds like you're close. Hopefully there's a solution.
I was able to get it to display shadows in MiSTer after compiling, but it looks terrible. There is pixel corruption everywhere.
Also, the LCD shadows being in front of the background png completely spoils the effect.

We will have to be satisfied with only the background png containing shadows, not the lcd graphics in the svg file. The core would need to be updated to handle this stuff, possibly the rom files too.
MrMister1985

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

Thank you to all for adding GnW to MiSTer! Now I think if the MiSTer Handheld gets released, i doubt ill wanna play any other core then! lol :D
scrdcow

Unread post by scrdcow »

I also really love the core! Not sure about any limitations. But it would be neat with a border/frame on/off option. So you can choose to show the full unit if you want.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Hello, could you please suggest me some good INI Settings with VGA Scaler to output G&W on my CRT?
eLLuiGi

Unread post by eLLuiGi »

You need first the beta vga output core available on discord ;-)
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Has anyone configured the original two screen Donkey Kong to work on this core ?

Many thanks.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Reg wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 pm Has anyone configured the original two screen Donkey Kong to work on this core ?

Many thanks.
Search for "18 Game & Watch Games For Mister FPGA" on archive dot org.
MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

I can't seem to figure this core out. When I load up any game, it just shows all sprites on screen, kind of like when you pop a new battery into the real thing. I cannot get past this, no matter what button I press on the keyboard. :oops:
Count Duckula

Unread post by Count Duckula »

MadDog wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 am I can't seem to figure this core out. When I load up any game, it just shows all sprites on screen, kind of like when you pop a new battery into the real thing. I cannot get past this, no matter what button I press on the keyboard. :oops:
'A' button should start game A and 'B' button game B, once you've mapped the buttons in the 'Define GameNWatch buttons' section.
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Ashfall wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:37 pm
Reg wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 pm Has anyone configured the original two screen Donkey Kong to work on this core ?

Many thanks.
MANY MANY THANKS !

Honestly - really apprichated and happy as a pig in poo playing this ! :) :) :)
8bitAndy

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

Count Duckula wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:41 am
MadDog wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 am I can't seem to figure this core out. When I load up any game, it just shows all sprites on screen, kind of like when you pop a new battery into the real thing. I cannot get past this, no matter what button I press on the keyboard. :oops:
'A' button should start game A and 'B' button game B, once you've mapped the buttons in the 'Define GameNWatch buttons' section.
I think this only works when using a USB controller. Mapping the buttons to the keyboard doesn't work for me.
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Ashfall wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Many thanks.
Damn this plays soo well.

I play a few games in this video, not just Donkey Kong - but some of these are bloody hard...

0398 - Logo.png
0398 - Logo.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5304 times

https://youtu.be/FSV2JhItY8g
Count Duckula

Unread post by Count Duckula »

8bitAndy wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 pm
Count Duckula wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:41 am
I think this only works when using a USB controller. Mapping the buttons to the keyboard doesn't work for me.
Yeah you're right, sorry about that.
It lets you define the buttons but cant get the KB to behave as controller 1. I Couldnt get the 'KBD TOGGLE' feature working.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Has anyone had any luck getting other non G&W LCD games built and working with the core?
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

hi no one to complet this great core (SM5A for Octopus ...) ?

CPC-Power Staff
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I hope Pierco will find some time again at some point to continue development on it, as it is a really cool core.

Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Hi,

I am using a CRT via RGB Scart, what .ini settings should I use to play the G&W?

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

breiztiger wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 am

hi no one to complet this great core (SM5A for Octopus ...) ?

+1 on this. My sister and I had Octopus and Parachute back in 1981 i think. Mine was Octopus and after playing all the others i still think its one of the best. 2 screen Donkey Kong is brilliant though, and Marios Cement Factory, Mario Bros.... Hell they're all great :)

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I'd love to see Super Mario Bros and the Zelda G&W games on this core... although no idea what kind of hardware it would need on top of what already exists

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

This new alternative Game and Watch core is really good, nice resolution and it currently supports more games: https://github.com/agg23/fpga-gameandwatch

There's a recent pack for it at the archive.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

It really looks fantastic on my iPad display. I'm currently discussing options to reduce the black borders with horizontal double-screen and single screen games with the developer.

IMG_20230701_093322.jpg
IMG_20230701_093322.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
IMG_20230701_093228.jpg
IMG_20230701_093228.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
IMG_20230701_093434.jpg
IMG_20230701_093434.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

it's a great core, i love the double screens, you're right about the borders though..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

bazza_12 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:09 pm

it's a great core, i love the double screens, you're right about the borders though..

I've suggested a resolution of 720 x 540 instead of 720 x 720 for the single-screen and horizontal dual-screen games. That should allow the scaler to fully scale up to a 4:3 display aspect ratio.

Hopefully syncing to the MiSTer clock, LCD shadows and high score saving could be added at some point. Bezels showing the handhelds themselves would be great as well.