I2S audio and SPDIF at the same time

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
deadsnare

I2S audio and SPDIF at the same time

Unread post by deadsnare »

Hi there, I am currently in the works of designing my own I/O board and would like to incorporate a DAC IC fed by an I2S stream to circumvent the poor analog audio of the MiSTer. At the same time, I would like to keep SPDIF functionality should I ever want to connect the MiSTer to an AVR. However, official documentation does not seem to exist or I have been unable to find it. From several disjunct forum posts here and there, I was able to gather the following:

The rightmost big metal switch on the DE-10 Nano switches the functions of GPIO1's pins 2, 7 and 9 from left/right analog audio and SPDIF stream to I2s stream (see pinout I've sketched below). So this means you can feed a DAC I2S, but you will lose SPDIF, since it won't be output anymore. Am I right about this?

Consider this: Antonio Villenas IOUSB is able to circumvent this limitation, and the Ironclad also seems able to use both I2S and SPDIF. What am I missing here? Are some of the Arduino header pins used for this which are unconnected on the official IO board? (On a side note: How is Antonio able to output full 24-bit RGB over VGA instead of the official IO board's 18-bit output?)

MiSTer_pinout.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.