CGC Bonus Round II - Wario Land 4 (GBA) [Console]

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
PistolsAtDawn

CGC Bonus Round II - Wario Land 4 (GBA) [Console]

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

wario-land-nintendo.gif
wario-land-nintendo.gif (7.11 MiB) Viewed 2696 times
Game info
Wario Land 4 is a 2001 platform game developed by Nintendo and released for the Game Boy Advance. Wario has to gather four treasures to unlock a pyramid and save Princess Shokora from the Golden Diva.
The second CGC Bonus Round is open for play!

Play however you'd like! The point is to enjoy and have fun, but if you would like to compete on high scores, please let us all know how you played (as in, with a arcade control panel, gamepad, etc.). We're on the honor system here for reporting high scores, so if you used cheats, fess up!

Please share with us your thoughts, jokes, frustrations or anything else related to this game that you may discover (i.e. if you discover the game itself was featured or visible in some other form of entertainment like a movie or TV show).
PistolsAtDawn

Re: CGC Bonus Round II - Wario Land 4 (GBA) [Console]

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I've been playing this game a little, and I do like it quite a bit. The use of color and video effects is pleasing to me. I like the controls too - they feel tight and responsive. I'm not sure I'll finish it since to progress to a boss level you have to collect four pieces of a gem in each level. It can be a bit of a slog going back through a level to find a piece or two that you missed on the first run, though at least for now I have had the patience necessary to progress. Still, I know myself, and I wouldn't bet on me reaching the end of this game without cheating (if at all).

My first Wario Land game was actually the Virtual Boy Wario Land, and so I can't help but compare the rest to that one. I purchased the Virtual Boy after Nintendo decided to abandon the weird little console and put them on sale. They were basically giving them away compared to the initial MSRP, and given that I was a huge Nintendo fan as a kid, I couldn't resist. I don't have the full English collection of VB cartridges, but none of them were very expensive. Because of that, I bought most of them without having read any reviews or being able to play them on a store display. And the majority of them were very good games! Among those that I bought, VB Wario Land sat on top as my favorite and most-played game. In fact, I probably played more of it than I had played most Mario games to that point, and that is definitely true still.

I like the VB Wario Land more for several reasons, but that doesn't really take anything away from how good this title is for a handheld game. I am of the opinion though that if Nintendo were to more closely follow the designs of the VB Wario Land for the other titles, the series would be more popular than it is and perhaps even enough that we would see a Wario title in 3D on a home console (that isn't just a collection of mini games).