Some Games Not Working [Solved]

segamemister

Some Games Not Working [Solved]

Unread post by segamemister »

Am using the hdd pack from the htgb pack but have also try the floppies anyone had sucess getting the following running

Fire and ice freezes after the title

Rodland freezes at loading screen
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: Some Games Not Working [Solved]

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Both work for me TOS 2.06 2 meg STE. Remember in alot of these cracks you have to push space to continue the loading. Both games aree of course better on the Amiga. Commodore Forever!
segamemister

True but for the htgb pack that doesn't seem to be the case space bar wise

Rodland seem to be working now

Fire and ice graphics glitch out on this screen

https://youtu.be/dfcQqeJ5JNs?t=23 Hitting the space bar or joystick doesn't work

I know there are three game packs hdd wise

ST.dbug.Klaz.vhd
Atari3gb pack which i got from pezz youtube channel
1000GamesT02.zip

Which one you using?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

3gb Pack
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

segamemister wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:20 pm True but for the htgb pack that doesn't seem to be the case space bar wise

Rodland seem to be working now

Fire and ice graphics glitch out on this screen

https://youtu.be/dfcQqeJ5JNs?t=23 Hitting the space bar or joystick doesn't work

I know there are three game packs hdd wise

ST.dbug.Klaz.vhd
Atari3gb pack which i got from pezz youtube channel
1000GamesT02.zip

Which one you using?
With the ST it is important to keep some things in mind. Almost none of the games was designed running from an HDD, these installations are hacks and won't work on every TOS version/RAM configuration.

If you experience problems it is the best way to try the floppy disc version of the game. You wrote that you already did that, but here it is important to keep in mind that most games were designed to work on machines with 512 KB to 1MB RAM. So be sure to set the core to 1MB max. In order to achieve the best compability set the core to ST and not STe and use TOS version 1.2 or 1.4. These versions run the most games. Leave the CPU at 8 MHz at all times when you have a game not running correct.

Both measures (using 1MB only and an older TOS) will make the use of almost all big HDD game collections impossible so only use them when trying to boot floppy images.

Back in the day when I upgraded to the MegaSTe with 4 MB I had to boot an older TOS version to get some games running and I always had a tool on my HDD that allowed me to blank out the 4MB in favor of 1MB.
segamemister

@Chris23235

Great Writeup - Post though the same rules apply for the amiga older games :D sorry was an amiga fan growing up we didnt till an atari st very late after it demise. :D

About the different models - configurations yes i know about them and have configs setup to match those systems but that post was a nice source of information.

None the less this thread can be marked as solved as the two games i mention i got to work hdd wise

Rodland work no problem now dont know what froze it last time.

Fire and ice there a utils folders on the work partition that has a 50 to 60hz switch program if i switch to 50hz it works
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Ah, great to hear. The 50/60 Hz thing is another thing to mention when it comes to the ST. Unlike the Amiga many PAL games work in 60Hz (Fire&Ice obiously not) and it is always worth a try to see how they perform. Games like Goldrunner run faster in 60Hz, but more often then not they play much better in my opinion.
insanityprawnboy

Unread post by insanityprawnboy »

Most games don't work on the Atari ST core for me.

I have it set at 512 or 1mb
Tos: tos102us
Chipset, ST or STE

But games rarely load. Sometimes a game will load, but the overwhelming majority don't.

I wish I could get it to work better than it does.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

insanityprawnboy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:35 pm

Chipset, ST or STE

But games rarely load. Sometimes a game will load, but the overwhelming majority don't.

Most games for the ST came from Europe so from my experience it is better to use a PAL TOS Rom. 1.02 is fine but only works for ST, 1.02 and STe can cause problems. If you try to use the STe features use TOS 1.06 (this works in ST mode as well).
I would also switch to 1MB as many ST games required 1MB (not so many as on the Amiga, but a lot of games).
If you use HDD versions of the games more then 1MB can be useful, otherwise you don't need to go over 1MB for games.
Which games specifically give you trouble?

Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

I found that un-mounting the hard drive images gives better results when loading discs.

insanityprawnboy

Chris23235 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 pm

Chipset, ST or STE

Most games for the ST came from Europe so from my experience it is better to use a PAL TOS Rom. 1.02 is fine but only works for ST, 1.02 and STe can cause problems. If you try to use the STe features use TOS 1.06 (this works in ST mode as well).
I would also switch to 1MB as many ST games required 1MB (not so many as on the Amiga, but a lot of games).
If you use HDD versions of the games more then 1MB can be useful, otherwise you don't need to go over 1MB for games.

Lots of games. The majority of them, in fact. Arkanoid, Bobo, Defender of the Crown, and Dungeon Master spring to mind.

The TOS options I get are as follows:

tos102US
tos104US
tos1062US
tos206US

I don't seem to have the option for TOS 1.06. Where would I find that to add it, if that's what I need to do?

Originally, I followed the instructions of guy on YouTube to set up the ST on MiSTer.

insanityprawnboy

Most games either bomb out or won't get past the loading / cracked screen.

insanityprawnboy

insanityprawnboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:15 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 pm

Chipset, ST or STE

Lots of games. The majority of them, in fact. Arkanoid (1 or 2), Bobo, Defender of the Crown, Black Lamp, Barbarian, and Dungeon Master spring to mind.

The TOS options I get are as follows:

tos102US
tos104US
tos1062US
tos206US

I don't seem to have the option for TOS 1.06. Where would I find that to add it, if that's what I need to do?

Originally, I followed the instructions of guy on YouTube to set up the ST on MiSTer.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Just google for the TOS version, they are easy to find.

The games you listed should work fine in all versions.
With disc versions don't go over 1MB as some games were not comfortable with to much RAM.
Which versions of the game do you try. In general look for the latest TOSEC pack.

insanityprawnboy

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:35 am

Just google for the TOS version, they are easy to find.

The games you listed should work fine in all versions.
With disc versions don't go over 1MB as some games were not comfortable with to much RAM.
Which versions of the game do you try. In general look for the latest TOSEC pack.

Thankyou, Chris23235.

I've started trying the games, and they work. That's great.